Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

2 wire running lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
2 wire running lights?

I just ordered a set of hotbodies led flush mounts from ebay (for a r1 but some legos and MEK will make a perfect fit and it needs paint anyway) and was wondering if anyone knows of a way to make them running lights as well as turn signals. Also will they definetely need a resistor? anyone have any warnings before I go expirementing with much enthusiasm and little experience?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:39 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
In order to have signals AND running light you need 3 wires. The resistor for the LED lights keep it from blinking really fast. Be careful when installing them and make sure you know which wire is which, or you'll melt them.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:05 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
dont most leds burn a different color when hooked up backwards? or am i thinking of something else.

also personally id prefer it to blink a little faster gets you noticed
Old 11-11-2009, 03:06 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I used Hotbodies taillight power converter. It's normally used to wire in the turn signals to the taillight. I used it the same way... just on the front of the bike. I tucked it under the gauge cluster and zip tied it into place, totally invisible. If Hotbodies doesn't sell them anymore you can use any trailer power convert found in the towing section of any AutoZone.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...randName=Reese

Last edited by inderocker; 11-11-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:08 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
dont most leds burn a different color when hooked up backwards? or am i thinking of something else.

also personally id prefer it to blink a little faster gets you noticed

Something else - D is diode. If you are lucky backwards gets you nothing. Unlucky and backwards fries em.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:35 PM
SuperBike

yeha i remember popping diodes in electrical engineering classes years ago, was a great time until you ran out, lol.

again going back many years with leds, but how is it that an led is able to produce a different colored light? different voltage?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:47 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
again going back many years with leds, but how is it that an led is able to produce a different colored light? different voltage?
The basic answer is that they are made differently on the inside, not really a voltage thing. The technical answer is that different photon frequencies produce different colors.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
I'd recommend looking up a thread with the wiring schematic posted by hawkrider. (I'd post it but I'm using my phone) Or.... You could bypass that and smoke a set of perfectly new led's like I did.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
I wired my 2 wire LEDs for both running and turn. You need a couple resistors in series and a diode to keep your turn signal from becoming hazard flashers. Here is a diagram of what I did. The problem is the LEDs I used are 3 volters, so the value of the resistors would be different than what you would need.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Most LEDs are only one color. You can get dual and even tri-color LEDs. The third color comes in when you hook it up to AC current. Here is a page for a dual color LED. You can see in the schematic that there are two LEDs in a single housing.
http://www.purdyelectronics.com/pdf/AND2451.pdf
Old 11-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Superstock

Thanks greg that's exactly what I was looking for, any idea on where to get the resistors and diode?
Old 11-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Superstock

just one question do those three arrows make that an led or photo diode? thanks a ton for the help and the awesome diagram either way.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:33 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Also, I thought I might add, I used an led flasher from superbrightleds.com to slow down the blink rate, simple plug and play.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:25 AM
SuperBike

Why not go to the scrap yard then and get the flasher from a car?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Superstock

I came up with a few more questions. will more ohms lead to fewer lumens? what's keeping the running light power from keeping the turn signal indicator on the dash on all the time? why not move the other diode to before the connection of the ruuning and turn wires? and what would happen if you used a resistor with a higher watt rating? will they heat up more or are they just capable of dissipating more heat?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:37 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Originally Posted by spladle160
will more ohms lead to fewer lumens?
Yes, in your case, you could skip the resistor for the turn signal all together to get the full intensity. Since your kit is most likely set for 12 volts, where mine was a 3 volt LED.
what's keeping the running light power from keeping the turn signal indicator on the dash on all the time?
Electricity follows the path of least resistance, but if you want, you could add a diode, especially if you take the turn signal resistor out entirely.
why not move the other diode to before the connection of the ruuning and turn wires?
You could do that.
and what would happen if you used a resistor with a higher watt rating? will they heat up more or are they just capable of dissipating more heat?
The higher watt resistors can dissipate heat better. I tried a one watt resistor for kicks and it got hot reeeaaal quick. 10 watt works well for me.

You will probably want to play with different resistor values for the running lights. Try a couple between 5 and 20 ohm to see what looks good.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:46 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Originally Posted by spladle160
just one question do those three arrows make that an led or photo diode? thanks a ton for the help and the awesome diagram either way.
From what I've seen, a photo diode has the arrows pointing towards the diode, an LED has them pointing away.