Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

running lights / blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
running lights / blinkers

the more time i spend sitting at my 'work table' in the garage (my cigar smoking lounge), the more i get tired of looking at the OEM front turn signals/running lights on my bike. my searches for flush-mounts (helped by links posted in this forum) usually turn up LED and non-LED two-wire turn signals. i never understood the need for running lights if you have a working headlight. are running-lights a hold-over from a by-gone age?

which flush-mount lights are the snazziest and also fit perfectly into the opening from which my OEM front turn signals are protruding?

thanks,

--fred

Last edited by fred; 05-05-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
Why wouldn't ya want to be seen?

PS: some states require them if they were original equipment.

Fish
Old 05-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Squid

Hawk 1 is on a distinguished road
Lighting side marker lights

I like Lockhart Phillips flush mount on the front and Minny stalk on the rear but thats just me
Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I use these. I just posted this on another thread but the "flush mounts" require an unobtanium little bulb. These are pretty bulletproof.
LOCKHART PHILLIPS TURN SIX SIGNAL | MotoSport
Old 05-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Back Marker

lukenukem47 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I use these. I just posted this on another thread but the "flush mounts" require an unobtanium little bulb. These are pretty bulletproof.
LOCKHART PHILLIPS TURN SIX SIGNAL | MotoSport
I have those but they don't have a running light. Two wire blink only also get your clear silcone out. The nuts strip super easy. P.S. You have to make a large washer for the inside or the whole unit can be removed from the outside. Some ******** tried to steal my clear set I had while my bike was parked at school. The washer stop the him but he still managed to cut my harness leading to them.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:32 AM
MotoGP

Really? That's some pretty specific theivery. What's next your shoelaces? I never thought of anti theft with this stuff. I do know that with mirrors its best to use 2 diff fasteners so at least they need 2 tools. BTW, always cover your bike you will avoid most criminal attempts. Seems dumb but it really works. I have even had a bike stolen 1 foot from mine. Mine was covered.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by Fish
Why wouldn't ya want to be seen?

PS: some states require them if they were original equipment.

Fish
hmmm.
a. i expect cars to pull out or make left turns right in front of me. happens all the time, even with my great running lights.
b. do the dim running lights framing a bright headlight really help with visibility? is it more likely to have an on-coming car pass into your face if you don't have running lights? "i didn't see the bike officer. he had no running lights." i have my doubts, but confess i have not read any scientific studies on the matter.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Back Marker

superh1998 is on a distinguished road
I added an extra set of flush mounts in the front in order to keep my markers and signal lights. I thought it was worth the effort.
I don't think it looks too bad, but that's just me.
If I were to do it all over again, I would do the flush mounts as markers, and I would buy mirrors with the built in signals.
running lights / blinkers-dsc03201-resized.jpg

running lights / blinkers-dsc03199-resized.jpg
Old 05-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by lukenukem47
<snip>Some ******** tried to steal my clear set I had while my bike was parked at school. The washer stop the him but he still managed to cut my harness leading to them.
Jesus! what school do you go to? that's loooow. whoever tried to steal them must have thought they really looked so cool that they were worth mangling another person's bike to try and lift. 30 bucks. they have a bike. they're too poor to buy flush-mounts?

sometimes people steal mail on my street. yeah, that's city life for 'ya. not that long ago i had some no-name, crappy-*** delivery service drop two boxes containing a 9" Ka-Bar, a SOG and a Kershaw right at my front door without a signature. they got delivered in the morning and after aging most of the day where there is regular foot traffic, some punk lifted the boxes. boy, did they hit the jackpot. i expect they are still not quite bored of scoping out my house for more boxes. i fully expect to confront a mail thief on my street some day and have them pull that Ka-Bar on me.

--fred
Old 05-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by superh1998
I added an extra set of flush mounts in the front in order to keep my markers and signal lights. I thought it was worth the effort.
I don't think it looks too bad, but that's just me.
If I were to do it all over again, I would do the flush mounts as markers, and I would buy mirrors with the built in signals.
i saw a picture of your bike posted in another thread a while back. i like that! what kind are those? LPs? bulbs or LEDS?
the only thing i don't like about it is that it requires more effort than my laziness-quotient can sustain. more plastic work. i'd rather figure out how to ditch the whole PAIR system.

--fred
Old 05-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Back Marker

superh1998 is on a distinguished road
The signals on top are LP...I don't remember which model they are though. Possibly these:
s5e LP flush mount iridium turn signals | eBay
I don't remember what the bottom markers are.
The pair system isn't that hard to remove. There are pretty clear cut instructions somewhere on here. The block off plates definitely make for a cleaner look.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
i guess since LEDs last forever, unlike bulbs that must be periodically replaced (requires effort. bad.), AND LEDs are brighter, i'll go with some LED fmounts. i'll wait on those, though, until i pull off my rear valve-cover and figure out how to ascertain the extent of the damage. "bent and broken valves. and hmmm. that piston appears to be damaged." how the hell do i know what a damaged piston looks like? if my intuition tells me its damaged i might just look for a motor instead of running lights.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by superh1998
The signals on top are LP...I don't remember which model they are though. Possibly these:
s5e LP flush mount iridium turn signals | eBay
I don't remember what the bottom markers are.
The pair system isn't that hard to remove. There are pretty clear cut instructions somewhere on here. The block off plates definitely make for a cleaner look.
thanks for the light info, Fellow Lister. and i'll hunt for the "ditch this crap hardware" thread. i don't mind the look ...scratch that. i just took a look and you're right. getting rid of that miniature portable toilet hanging under the tank might not be a bad thing, cosmetically speaking.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Squid

motogomojo is on a distinguished road
I have these on the front and back
Tusk Flush Mount LED Turn Signals | Jakehttp://www.jakewilson.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=343&navTit le=Motorcycle+Electrical&webCatId=39&prodFamilyId= 25863 Wilson

They are only 2 wire (No running light) But i wired them up in the front using a method i found on another site to make them running and blinker.
They are cheap and bright.
Fit is perfect in rear but a little small for the front,but I made them work.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:22 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fred
hmmm.
a. i expect cars to pull out or make left turns right in front of me. happens all the time, even with my great running lights.
b. do the dim running lights framing a bright headlight really help with visibility? is it more likely to have an on-coming car pass into your face if you don't have running lights? "i didn't see the bike officer. he had no running lights." i have my doubts, but confess i have not read any scientific studies on the matter.
I like having the running lights, even though they don't look cool. I want to give cars every chance to see me.

Having said that, I've ridden with the high beam on during daylight for about the last 25 years...and people still pull out or turn left in front of me, sometimes while looking right at me.

Bottom line is that a motorcycle, because of its relatively small size, does not pose a threat to a car or an SUV, so it doesn't register in the cage driver's tiny brain.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Squid

Bad quality pics ,but gives you the idea
Attached Thumbnails running lights / blinkers-dsc027482.jpg   running lights / blinkers-dsc02747.jpg   running lights / blinkers-dsc02960.jpg   running lights / blinkers-dsc02752.jpg  
Old 05-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I like having the running lights, even though they don't look cool. I want to give cars every chance to see me.

Having said that, I've ridden with the high beam on during daylight for about the last 25 years...and people still pull out or turn left in front of me, sometimes while looking right at me.

Bottom line is that a motorcycle, because of its relatively small size, does not pose a threat to a car or an SUV, so it doesn't register in the cage driver's tiny brain.

Running Light are a requirement here,but I would run them even if they were not.

It gives you much more visibility,especially at night

I even left the faster blink rate after installing LEDs.
It was anoying at first,but I am used to it now.
It gets drivers attention and lets them know your intentions.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Originally Posted by motogomojo
Running Light are a requirement here,but I would run them even if they were not.

It gives you much more visibility,especially at night

I even left the faster blink rate after installing LEDs.
It was anoying at first,but I am used to it now.
It gets drivers attention and lets them know your intentions.
first, thanks for the pictures and the link, Motogomojo.

second, a majority of you fine folks who posted on this thread are in favor of the running light as a safety feature and as a requirement in some states (Illinois is probably one of them). since i appreciate and respect 99.9% of the advice i've gotten on this list, i have re-thunk my dismissive attitude to the running light and will attempt to either procure a 3-wire flush-mount, or tinker it as was described above to add the running light capacity (if it doesn't turn into too much of a hassle :-).

cheers.

--fred
Old 05-06-2011, 11:00 PM
MotoGP

Hey moto, 1) how did you wire them as runners? and 2) you bike has a mountain behind it.

I acutally have red running leds embedded in my rear turn signals to create a larger rear profile at night, plus 2 sets of turn signals front and back to really wake people up.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Squid

Hey moto, 1) how did you wire them as runners? and 2) you bike has a mountain behind it.

I acutally have red running leds embedded in my rear turn signals to create a larger rear profile at night, plus 2 sets of turn signals front and back to really wake people up.

I would really like to see your setup! post pics if you get a chance.

I have the rear integrated tail, but left the side signals.It was not the plan ,but I really like the added side visibility.I would be interested in how to install some rear running leds as well.

1. Here is a link to a pretty good write up of how to convert 2 wire led to 3 wire with running lights.

Convert 2 wire signals to 3 Wire Inputs - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

This is the method I followed and it works great.
you could also solder in resistors, or replace the flash relay if you want stock blink rate

I left mine as is after this mod, it's not obnoxiously fast.

2.There are some advantages of living in Utah and having the Wasatch front in your backyard Although right now there is still 700 inches of snow in my playground
Old 05-07-2011, 01:56 AM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
One thing to bear in mind is local laws concerning rear running lights.

I know here (CA) you can't technically have running ambers in the rear, but still keep it because it's one of those laws where you only have to look out for in a recession when the cops are running out of money and give out BS tickets...... Oh....... Right.......... WE ARE IN ONE!
So I should switch to red at somepoint but that's not really my top on list of concerns.

But if you go to a local auto shop they usually have the brake light repair kit and it's just some red translucent tape. Only to be used temporarily because it does cut down on visibility but it will make them distinctly red, not amber.

But to go with what everyone else is saying here, I love running lights and I have them on every bike I own because I live in an area with terrible drivers (explained above me somewhere).

-----
to throw another aspect of safety in here, daytime headlight modulators, a brilliant invention for daytime riding/lane splitting. Much cheaper to build than buy (300+) so if you want I can build you a schematic that you could mess around with =)

-----
*end semi-threadjacking*
Old 05-07-2011, 07:27 AM
MotoGP

By modulator for the headlight you mean one that continuously cycles hi/lo or one that does so while a button is depressed. I want one but like you said they are prohibitively expensive. I always ride with the hi beam. Yeah may be slightly offensive but those cabs do know I am coming & tend to just let me by rather than let me sit there. Either way I win (as in make it home unscathed).

So yeah post the modulator mod if you can.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:53 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bass4dude
One thing to bear in mind is local laws concerning rear running lights.

I know here (CA) you can't technically have running ambers in the rear, but still keep it because it's one of those laws where you only have to look out for in a recession when the cops are running out of money and give out BS tickets...... Oh....... Right.......... WE ARE IN ONE!
So I should switch to red at somepoint but that's not really my top on list of concerns.
Shortly after I bought my CB700SC Nighthawk S new in 1986, I put 3 wire sockets in the rear turn signals, so I would have rear running lights. I ran it that way, with amber lenses, for 5 years and 48,000 miles. I never had a cop mention it, even when I was pulled over a couple of times.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:08 AM
MotoGP

For me I dont think the amber runners in the rear communicate as well as the reds to drivers especially in the rain/ at night. I think(hope) my reds triangulate my bike & helps them get a bead on me. When I see regular tiny tail lights on scooters & bikes I feel like they contribute to drivers disreguarding them. Since amber is not on any other vehicle rear I would find it confusing.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Shortly after I bought my CB700SC Nighthawk S new in 1986, I put 3 wire sockets in the rear turn signals, so I would have rear running lights. I ran it that way, with amber lenses, for 5 years and 48,000 miles. I never had a cop mention it, even when I was pulled over a couple of times.

I only had my sisters boyfriend (who was a cadet and going through the academy a few years ago) mention it when he was going through the VC. You're permitted to have running ambers in front, but only red in the rear. I don't get it but I don't make the laws. I personally like having the amber because it makes it really distinct and people notice that in conjunction with having a license plate mounted red turn signals.

I've been pulled over before and never had any problem with it either, like I said, it's a technicality, and cops do not really care, but if it were under a inspection test for new plates it might present a problem. It would only be a fix it ticket, I think.

Since amber is not on any other vehicle rear I would find it confusing.
Or distinct? hahahaha, I don't think it really matters what color it is just so long as you have them =)

Last edited by bass4dude; 05-07-2011 at 10:50 AM.