Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

another n00b - from WI

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:40 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Spoot
haha, lol....no prob guys...I enjoy a good conversation and a chance to learn. trying to take it all in.

ya, I guess I have a little too much self preservation at this point. I am progressing, just taking the slow route.

I got an email back from the midwest distributor of Pirelli...he says 30f/29r as a baseline...adjust after checking hot - right off the track.
DiabloRacers.com says 30-34F hot / 25-28R hot. So, that's a little off from what my local guy says.

SO....I guess I'll drop some pressure and keep trying to wick it up.
sounds like a plan spoot! let us know how you make out.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:30 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Spoot is on a distinguished road
I mounted Accosato master in a "normal" position, and slightly down in position. it used to go almost straight forward (between throttle cables), so this should be a nice change. I had to lift my fingers a bit when tucked...now should be more natural to reach for it.

New Galfer brake lines are on the master, I need to rotate the banjos at the caliper side to fit correctly, I routed the lines a little different, so now I need to rotate them.

Calipers are getting rebuilt. One had a slight drag when free-spinning the front wheel. One caliper is done. I've never done that before, so it was a bit of a challenge and learning process.
Also, 8 seals is only enough for one caliper (fyi)...I need to order another whole set :duh:

Replaced clutch line with a Galfer. the OE I think was going bad as the fluid got black after 3-4 trackdays...? This task went quick and easy. Bled the line and seems to be fine. The line no longer bumps the gauges at full lock, so I can move the bar forward a tad more, too = yipee.

Now, I need to fab a bracket so I can mount the bigger oil cooler. I got the trx450(?) cooler as a couple others here have done. Not sure of I want to mount in the OE position or keep it forward of the exhaust pipe...? forward position is prob best, huh?

Last edited by Spoot; 04-07-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:08 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

I got the oil cooler mounted sideways, on left side of bike. had a buddy help fab the hangers for it.
I used the same rubber lines that were on the bike, but it turns out when I pushed the lines onto the metal tube, I did not realize that I created a "flapper". This is a small tear on the inside of the rubber line. This allowed for the oil to pressurize and push through the nylon threads in the middle of the rubber line, then as the oil got hot, it bulged the outer part of the line and burst.

While I was heading down the middle straight at Road America!! I was blowing smoke like mad and oil blew all over the underside of the bike, the back of the bike AND my rear tire! I had 2 quarts of oil in the lower when the corner worker signaled me off at T5. Thankfully I got the black flag and got off the track safely!
AND - NO oil landed on the track!! <phwew>

So, I replaced the lines with better lines and double-hose-clamped each end of new hose. The next trackday, no issues.

Here's a vid at Blackhawk Farms a couple weeks ago. I had a personal best on Saturday, then another on Sunday

Old 06-23-2013, 10:22 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Here are some pics

Old 06-24-2013, 04:55 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Looking Good Man
Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Thanks, Stumpy.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:48 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, on that note, you have a great collection of great pics. Seems like the photographers have figured out they sell 10 times the pics to trackday guys than racers so really do them well.

Nice shots.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Gron4 Photography took these pics. I've supported them for years. They also treat me well with large numbers of pics
I used to shoot a lot at the same events, but gave my photos away (didnt want to pay the track's vendor fees). I slowly learned that people would take my pics for free, then not order from the Gronfor brothers...I felt bad taking business from them, so I told them I would put my camera down if they were shooting.

They've been published in Motorcyclist a number of times, and RRW. Keep an eye on articles by Aaron Frank, he usually uses Gron4 when he's in the area.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:48 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

I did 2 trackdays last month and the bike temp got to about 3/4 dial. (single rad mod)
Outside temps were upper 70's.
Last year on the SH I did a 1:29. Last month I set a personal bets at BHF of 1:28, then the next day a low 1:27.
I had been doing 1:30's for years.

Last weekend I did 3 days in a row - Gingerman, Grattan x2.
Friday night was upper 80's (only 2 sessions) - temp stayed out of the red.
Sat/Sun low 80's. Temp never got in the red. So, I think as long as it low 80's, a single rad might be OK. Last year all my trackdays were in the 90's and the temp constantly soared into the red zone and looked like it would overheat so i cut my sessions short.

New oil cooler mod seems to be 'OK'. Not sure if it is helping, but maybe.

Sunday a.m. was in the 50's. track temp was cold. I could actually feel the tires giving a little on the cold surface (and cold tires) for about 3-4 laps. By 2nd session, the sun was out and things warmed up nicely.
I have been running lower pressure in the Pirellis (as suggested earlier here), and the tires have felt fine. Right off track, they were really hot to the touch and they looked good. 28-29 front / 26-27 rear cold.

I was chasing an RC51 on Sunday. I really tried to get him, but he just pulled like rocket on the straight. Then, I'd catch him on the brakes as he was starting his turn-in on t1, stick on his tail the rest of the track...then off he went on the straight again. Lots of fun. I did a 1:38.18 in the "I" group with STT. No idea how that time relates to anything, but I felt like I was giving 'bout everything the hawk had to give, the rest of the lacking was me.

Last edited by Spoot; 07-22-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

I did another day at Blackhawk Farms 8/14.
I was able to do some more personal bests. I did a 1:26 early in the day, then later a 1:25.18.

Air temp was mid 70's, used same tire pressures they did great. Bike temp was never over 3/4.

Here's a vid of my PB. This is the slower "I" group with Motovid.
BHF 8-14-2013 Orange group / session 5 - YouTube
Old 09-10-2013, 03:38 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Hey what is that on the right side of the faring? mount for your timer? you going to the crud run. I have been feeling a lot better and will have my bike ready for it want to go. any other hawks out there want to go should be fun.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I'm also down for the Slimey Crud Run. Would be cool to have three Superhawks!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

my hawk isn't streetable.

The mount on the front is for a GoPro camera. I also have one on the rear fender, looking backwards.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:34 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Originally Posted by Kendrick
If you sell the XX I call dibs!
Dibs, eh?

Well...it's for sale. you in?

------

I'm doing some 1:22's at BHF - 2:50 at Road America. Got bumped to faster Intermediate group with Motovid earlier this year.
Oil cooler is fine. Front rad is working OK. Didn't have such hot days this year.
Freshened the suspension and got a re-valve on the shock. Loving the Rosso Corsa tires. 8 trackdays on a set, still had some tread on rear.
Accosoto brake master finally came into it's own...5-6 different full system bleeds, one was a power-bleed by a track vendor. Last thing was a putting in new 1375 pads and pushing the pistons back in...then...brakes are firm as all getup and stayed that way throughout a whole trackday yipee!

Last edited by Spoot; 09-14-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:21 AM
Squid

jswisc is on a distinguished road
Just ran my first track day earlier this month and it was at Blackhawk. I have an 05'. Running a click over 1:30. Raced there for years in a car but sure was different on a bike. I plan on being at Autobahn the weekend of the 27-28th. I plan on some suspension work over the winter. Currently it's a stock bike with Galfers and HH pads. I just put on a mosfet as well. I currently have PP3's. I'd like to talk with you about your mods if we wind up doing the same day somewhere.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:54 AM
über-n00b
Superstock

I'll be at BHF on the 24th. Stop in if you have time.
I had a scheduling conflict for ACC

otherwise, I can usually be found on wiriders.com.
tons of TD guys and good place to hang out. free.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:49 AM
Squid

jswisc is on a distinguished road
I wasn't sure if the 24th was an open day or Pridmore only. I will be there is the yellow group. Probably skip ACC. I'll look for you.

Last edited by jswisc; 09-15-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:31 AM
über-n00b
Superstock

any of the pridmore clinics are just one of the sessions. and they usually combine them with another running group.

I'm getting a slot now for green, so I should be there. We've been setting up in T4-T5 area with WiRiders banners hanging on the ez-ups.
See ya there!!
Old 05-12-2015, 07:20 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Been a while since I did an update:
On my last trackday (last year) I was able to get down to a few 1:22's.
Typical times are 1:25's.

Tire wear is great. Suspension is doing great. Bike is great.

Just installed a Shorai battery.

Saturday, I go to get a race license. I might run the SH, but I intend to run a friends RD350 that recently got a full restore to it's former glory...a race bike.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:59 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

I didn't want to clutter the F.I.L. mod thread as this is unrelated....

Here are the dyno charts. My SH actually hit 106 (last chart)

Here is the HP vs Speed chart

and, the HP in 2nd-6th gears. This is interesting as I only seem to get 140 on the front straight at Road America. Then I might get 140-142 mph on the T3-T5 straight, even when I shift to 6th - I think it needs more road?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:30 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Cool to see the dyno charts. Remember, with the dyno runs through the gears, you are stationary. There is zero aero or wind drag when you are stationary.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:03 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
But, that doesn't affect the amount of ponies the motor is making...
Old 06-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
But, that doesn't affect the amount of ponies the motor is making...
True. However, if I read his post right, he is wondering why on the dyno he can reach faster speeds in each gear. No wind resistance. Or am I reading that wrong?
Old 06-11-2015, 08:40 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

ya, the chart says 156-ish as a top speed.
I know bikes are about the least aero-dynamic thing ever to push through the atmosphere...but, I top out in 5th and get nothing from 6th at all.

Is this typical for the SH?

My Blackbird hit 160-ish (indicated, and had about a 7% error...so, 150?) and it was pulling hard b4 I hit the brakes for a turn. It had 132-135hp.

I guess that's why I was curious to do the FIL mod. I thought I'd gain some top-end HP, which might have made the top-speed better.
But, it sounds like the FIL mod may be more mid-range gain. Which honestly sounds like a TON of fun for a street bike, but not really necessary for me as a track bike.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

With my bike, I had a big gain in the midrange (yes, a lot of fun on the street) and an even bigger gain on the top end. When I finally got the FIL mod dialed in, the top end scared the crap out of me. I was not ready for it. It was a completely different bike from stock. The throttle response was instant too.

I wish I was able to have my bike on an actuall dyno, not just the HP numbers from my Veypor gauge. I, or we will never know what my bike did stock, which really sucks.
Old 01-27-2024, 06:53 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

bumping a really old thread...

I took a few years off of TD riding the SH. I raced an RD350 one year and then a VTR250 the next. Got hit on the 250 in the last race, last lap.
I took a year off to rebuild it and rode it in the fall down at Deals Gap. That was fun.
Covid came along and I didn't do any track riding the whole time. All the restrictions and wearing a mask outdoors didn't thrill me.

I took the SH out of storage this spring (2023) - changed the oil, brake\clutch fluid, fresh gas and new Rosso II Corsa tires.
Put the Shorai battery in that had been in my refrigerator for 6yrs and the bike fired right up!! Ye haw !

I started to work for Motovid. I helped coach one day and I did tech in a.m. and ride for free the afternoons.
I lost a LOT of my skillset and pace, but the SH ran great.

I am now going to move to something different and sell my SH.
This thread showed my build and my progress in trackdays.

If anyone is interested, let me know.
I'll try to list it soon on the FB's.
It will be $3000 with a lot of spares, good tires, spare brake pads, spare case covers, yada yada.

​​​​​​​