Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

‘04 Going Naked

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 06:47 PM
Squid

vtwinfun is on a distinguished road
‘04 Going Naked

Long story short. 4 years ago sold the bike, got it back for $300 four months later from impound after the guy went on a high speed chase with it and laid it down. Took a hiatus dude to back issues and now over the past 2 months have been getting it to where I’ve always wanted it. It’s not going to be everyone’s cut of tea or pint of beer but oh well this is what I like.
“Upgrades” are as follows: ‘02 RC51 front end re-valved and sprung, Core steel braided brake lines, brembo radial MCs, braced swinger, CBR900rr rear wheel, motogadget M Unit Blue, M Button (in the right clip-on) aftermarket Amazon momentary switches, custom harness, LED 5 1/2” round head light, under tail radiator, Moriwaki rear sets. It’s a work in progress but hope to have it running in the next 2-3 weeks.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:00 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Wow! A lot of time and effort. Like the rear radiator, hope it works out for you. Really cleans up the lines for a naked build.
Is the front wheel from an SP2? If so, super rare.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:07 AM
SuperSport

Squid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xeris
Wow! A lot of time and effort. Like the rear radiator, hope it works out for you. Really cleans up the lines for a naked build.
Is the front wheel from an SP2? If so, super rare.
The radiator is for a shifter cart, I had to get the inlet outlet cut and re welded but other than that it pretty much fit right in. I don't think a lot of people are going to like what I do with the tail section, but we will see. good eye! I lucked out with the front end. It is from an 02' SP2 and the bike had 12k on it and the PO said it had a catastrophic engine failure so was parting it out.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:29 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Nice build, keep the pictures coming.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:57 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by NHSH
Nice build, keep the pictures coming.
Thanks! Will Do. Getting the wire harness cleaned up now and getting rid of all the excess stuff I don't need and making the COP harnesses. Hopefully have it fire up by next weekend.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:40 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
It'll be interesting to see whatcha come up with.
Old 03-30-2024, 03:51 PM
Back Marker

Bald Eagle is on a distinguished road
I love the idea of the rear radiator...there was someone on this forum who had done it and worked out well for him....but I did try it myself and the bike could not cool down sufficiently to a normal temp. I ended back with the original set up of the two radiators.... which I will try to make look better without the fairing.

Old 03-30-2024, 05:00 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Bald Eagle
I love the idea of the rear radiator...there was someone on this forum who had done it and worked out well for him....but I did try it myself and the bike could not cool down sufficiently to a normal temp. I ended back with the original set up of the two radiators.... which I will try to make look better without the fairing.
My plan is to glass the rear seat cowl to the tail section and make it along the lines of the race style and then add venting to it close to the lines of the Ducati Demosedici to allow the low pressure behind the rider to pull air thru the radiator and also let heat escape while stopped. How well will this work? No idea but it sounds good in my head.
Old 04-01-2024, 12:15 PM
Back Marker

I kind of understand what you are saying, but my problem was (after going on the highway) with the setup I had, it would not cool down even with the cooling fan operational. It worked in the garage before I took it out on the street, but the fan could not handle it once I was on the street and probably should have had a bigger fan. I was using the same type of fan that came with the bike....not good enough. With my 3D printer I made an air scoop to try and aid air flow, with no success. It is in one of the pics. I love the fact the radiators are on the sides, because you never get the heat rushing up at you, especially in city traffic. I use to sweat my gnads off with the Triumph Triple I used to have. My next ..... and final project, on my VTR, is to try and make the side radiators look less intrusive.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:28 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Final...
Old 04-02-2024, 06:48 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Final...
Riiight. Haha

i get everything else that you said about your previous scenario. Was your fan pushing air down towards the rear tire since I’m not really seeing much for air to exit thru the top on the pics you posted.

hoping that with the fan pulling the air up and out thru the vents and with the thermal dynamics that it will do a bit better on the cooling since it won’t be forced down or around.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:51 PM
SuperSport

Sorry, replying from my phone and didn’t mean to reply to quote your reply VTR, obviously it was meant for Bald Eagle.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:19 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Normally not a huge fan of most "streetfighters" but that's looking really nice so far. Curious, any reason you went with an SP2 front wheel when an SP1 is pretty much a perfect match for the 900RR rear?
Old 04-03-2024, 07:45 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Normally not a huge fan of most "streetfighters" but that's looking really nice so far. Curious, any reason you went with an SP2 front wheel when an SP1 is pretty much a perfect match for the 900RR rear?
Thank you for the compliment. I’m keeping the full set of fairings and belly pan that I bought just in case I don’t like it in the end OR that it wont cool
as well as I hope with the “mods” that I’m doing. As far as the front wheel goes, I found a complete front end from an ‘02 RVT close to me for a decent price with only 12k on it. Eventually I’ll be looking for the least amount of unsprung weight but looking for something to get me by for the time being.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:57 PM
SuperSport

Slow progress waiting on parts

Some eBay link pipes and shorty “mufflers”. Trying to get this to a point where I can have it ready to run by the 13th for classic motorcycle race at Willow springs as a display at our booth so stock header pipe and aftermarket link and pipe and mufflers will do for now. Found that the PO damaged the Carb Isolators, as well as broke the rear choke nipple that screws into the carb and they won’t be here till the 11th so now I will be working on fiberglass and paint and hope that everything else gets here in time so I can get it running. More pics to follow this weekend, if you all are still interested, or not. Haha

Old 04-03-2024, 08:03 PM
SuperSport

Also got the “keyless go” working on the Motogadget so no need for an ignition switch, side stand switch, or clutch switch. Starter cranks, lights light up when on and the alarm activates when I turn off the ignition.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:54 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Squid
Riiight. Haha

i get everything else that you said about your previous scenario. Was your fan pushing air down towards the rear tire since I’m not really seeing much for air to exit thru the top on the pics you posted.

hoping that with the fan pulling the air up and out thru the vents and with the thermal dynamics that it will do a bit better on the cooling since it won’t be forced down or around.
Sorry for the slow response.....My fan was pushing air down onto the tire, with the idea of scooping air at the bottom of the radiator. The radiator I have is thinner than the one you are installing and I was trying to keep the seat etc the same. Your project is far more involved, which I did not have the time for. I was trying to get away with a "just OK job" and hopefully have a working scenario.....NOT...!!! It did work with a forum member...will have to find his project and forward it to you. I do have Stage II cams...High Compression Pistons...which could be producing much more heat than the standard bike....but works fine with the original radiators.
Later.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:11 AM
Back Marker

The most difficult problem with these bikes is the Carburation. I finally have installed O2 sensors on the down pipes to see exactly how the carbs are working with the engine. Waiting for the weather to get better to come up with the correct settings. It is incredible to see what you think is the "Correct" settings that you installed on the carbs and find out ......Yes.... You are wrong. The beauty of fuel injection you can set up the mapping for any condition / setup that you have made. Stupid things like making sure that your choke cable is all the way in the HOME position.
Later.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:35 AM
Back Marker

I found the post on the radiator under seat Cafe flat bars...etc..
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...tr-7221/page2/
Old 04-11-2024, 07:12 PM
SuperSport

She Lives!

Spent the last few days while waiting on carb isolators getting the main harness sorted out and making mini looms for the ECT, Pulse Generator, front and rear COPs, and TPS and getting them routed, rebuilding the carbs, and crudely fabing up a battery tray. 2.5gal of gas in the tank and fired it up on the second crank. DAMN did I forget how good she sounds after 4(ish) years of sitting.

Old 04-12-2024, 05:42 PM
SuperSport

Sorry for the slow response.....My fan was pushing air down onto the tire, with the idea of scooping air at the bottom of the radiator. The radiator I have is thinner than the one you are installing and I was trying to keep the seat etc the same. Your project is far more involved, which I did not have the time for. I was trying to get away with a "just OK job" and hopefully have a working scenario.....NOT...!!! It did work with a forum member...will have to find his project and forward it to you. I do have Stage II cams...High Compression Pistons...which could be producing much more heat than the standard bike....but works fine with the original radiators.
Later.
thanks for your feedback. I was thinking that was the case but was unsure. Nice mods, and with horsepower comes heat. I’m sure yours is hoot to ride!
Old 04-12-2024, 05:43 PM
SuperSport

The most difficult problem with these bikes is the Carburation. I finally have installed O2 sensors on the down pipes to see exactly how the carbs are working with the engine. Waiting for the weather to get better to come up with the correct settings. It is incredible to see what you think is the "Correct" settings that you installed on the carbs and find out ......Yes.... You are wrong. The beauty of fuel injection you can set up the mapping for any condition / setup that you have made. Stupid things like making sure that your choke cable is all the way in the HOME position.
Later.
O2 bungs are on my todo list after I get everything else done so it would be easier to tune to get it right.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:46 PM
SuperSport

What I got done today. Just need to get creative on how I’m going to cut them out and not take off too much

Old 04-13-2024, 09:56 AM
Back Marker

I noticed with the picture of the battery holder, you had a couple of Pink Stabilizers to be mounted ..... I assume on the rear wheel ....somewhere..?
Also ....where does the Wife sit on the VTR upgrade.....or is that the upgrade
Old 04-13-2024, 10:10 AM
Back Marker

Photo's of O2 sensors and gauges.
Once I feel I have the correct mixture settings I will remove the gauges and O2 sensors, leave the wiring, and have a bracket for my phone.
Old 04-13-2024, 01:47 PM
SuperSport

Photo's of O2 sensors and gauges.
Once I feel I have the correct mixture settings I will remove the gauges and O2 sensors, leave the wiring, and have a bracket for my phone.
As far as the “Pink stabilizers” I figured since it’s been so long since I’ve ridden that I would need some help in the corners. The wife just pieced everything together and realized that she would not be able to ride on the back, I call that a win.

im definitely going to be adding the AFR to mine when I get there. Thanks for the pics!
Old 04-13-2024, 10:15 PM
SuperSport

Didn’t get to work on the bike as much as I wanted today but managed to get some done. I SUCK at body work / fiberglass / cutting straight lines and corners with tools and my 8 year old son could have done a better job, but I want the “built, not bought” pride in it and can make some adjustments later. Enough of me trying to justify how it looks so far…
Old 04-13-2024, 10:18 PM
SuperSport

I’m so grateful that bondo is a thing!!

Old 04-14-2024, 02:04 PM
SuperSport

More sanding. Ready for primer and paint when the weather gets better. Prepping the tank and fenders tomorrow after work.
Old 04-15-2024, 01:07 PM
Back Marker

I am assuming the holes will be how the hot air from the radiator will be escaping.....?
Will the fan be attached to the radiator facing the holes.?
I see no issues with your glass work.....kind of clever to fiber glass the two pieces together.

Quick Reply: ‘04 Going Naked