General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

The new guy and his VTR

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 10:20 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The new guy and his VTR

Again, thank's to everybody for the positive comments.
And for all of you concerned about the health of the underseat radiator, I just installed the hugger.
Lets see if it affects the cooling one way or another.
I also installed a Speedo Healer and recommend it to anybody that wants an accurate speedo after changing the gearing, or in my case the gauges.
After I installed the 929 gauges I realized that I was now living closer to work, at least my trip meter said so.
With the Speedo Healer I was able to turn a slow reading speedo/trip into one that's dead nuts on.
I've included pictures of the hugger, the speedo healer and the homemade handlebar clamp adaptors.
Attached Thumbnails The new guy and his VTR-image020.jpg   The new guy and his VTR-image103.jpg   The new guy and his VTR-image100.jpg  

Last edited by kai ju; 06-01-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: attach pics
Old 06-24-2005, 07:58 AM
Back Marker

icebud

OMFG!!

I've just seen this post and and... this bike is so, is so... how could I say?

Cool? nannn todays, everything is cool!

Nice? nope, nice is for new or stock bike!

Great? close but not enough!

Awesome!! yeah yeah! that's this bike is AWESOME!!

Very very awesome work kai ju! and thx to share your experience with us!

Cheers
Old 08-01-2005, 08:39 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Save me, where can I find this holy healer? Thank you my child please send all donations care of superhawk22, oh sorry that was my old job.

seriously though where and how much for the speed healer?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:16 PM
SuperSport

Go to Speedohealer.com,they will have a listing of dealers as well as all the info you could possibly want.
I've had mine in for about a month now and it's a plug it in, program it and forget it proposition.
I'm very happy with it.
Kai Ju
Old 08-01-2005, 10:48 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

8) Thanks.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:17 AM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.calsportbike.com/cgi-bin/...ex.cgi?pid=800

I bought my healer from these guys because the online experience seemed very good. The customer service WAS very good.

Spend the extra 10 bucks and get the remote button cable (the top speed recall feature is just SO bad-***)
Old 08-02-2005, 08:42 AM
Squid

Lonewolf
Interested in doing the 929 speedo conversion myself... what is involved? just switching/extending the speedo connecter? you said you had to goto a '98 fuel sender to make it work (hawk sender or 929?) I have a '98 hawk so just wondering if I'm okay in that dept.

please elaborate on the speedo swap... My stock speedo's trip meter/clock etc... dosnt work.

oh, and what speedo healer did you get? one for a hawk or one for a 929/954?
Old 08-02-2005, 08:58 PM
SuperSport

The biggest headache will be that the '02 Shawk and the 929 have a single meter plug, albeit non matching, while your 98 has individual leads that go to separate points on the meter ***'y.
If the colors match, which they pretty much did between the 929 and the Shawk than all you have to do is splice in the gauge harness for the 929 meter.
Your fuel sender is perfect because it's indicates low level while my '02 had an actual fuel gauge which didn't work with the low level light on the 929 meter.
All the same functions cross over such as oil pressure, water temp,turnsignals etc.
I got the speedo healer for the Shawk, plugged right in.
Since I'm running stock gearing the 929 meter indicated 5% slow.
You can either reprogram or change your gearing.
Hope this helps.
Kai Ju
Old 10-25-2005, 04:36 AM
Back Marker

SNGPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point

Kai Ju has too much good stuff done to his bike to not have a DIY or six listed.
I, too, am building a Street Fighter and would like to have some idea of where to go when I am modifying.
I love the under tail radiator, the giant oil cooler, the single head light and the 929 cluster. I am one of those people that like to do a ton of research before attempting a mod.
I am installing a GSXR tail so I don't know if the VTX radiator will work for me. If we had a DIY for the radiator mod with measurements, that would be so cool. It would also keep Kai Ju from having to answer the same questions over and over in PM's.

We need more knowledge in the Knowledge Base!! It would just make this site that much better.

Just a thought. Sorry if I sound like a jerk.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:20 AM
Superstock

woodman

Originally Posted by SNGPerformance";p=&quot
Kai Ju has too much good stuff done to his bike to not have a DIY or six listed.
I, too, am building a Street Fighter and would like to have some idea of where to go when I am modifying.
I love the under tail radiator, the giant oil cooler, the single head light and the 929 cluster. I am one of those people that like to do a ton of research before attempting a mod.
I am installing a GSXR tail so I don't know if the VTX radiator will work for me. If we had a DIY for the radiator mod with measurements, that would be so cool. It would also keep Kai Ju from having to answer the same questions over and over in PM's.

We need more knowledge in the Knowledge Base!! It would just make this site that much better.

Just a thought. Sorry if I sound like a jerk.
You have a bigger oil cooler? I am very interested in this. What kind did you use and was mounting a problem. Are there pictures posted anywhere?
thanks
Old 10-25-2005, 06:33 PM
SuperSport

It's been awhile since I've seen any questions regarding the bike but I've been somewhat busy as well.
The oil cooler is ZRX6, don't know what year, e-bay for less than $10.
The lines are from Earl's supply and the fittings I made myself using the original VTR fittings at the bottom and the Kawi fittings at the top.
Since I've last posted I've installed a Penske Shock, RC51 Mufflers and a '98-'01 VFR 800 fuel tank.
It looks huge but holds 5.5 gallons.
Don't have any pics yet but will try and post some asap.
Kai Ju

Last edited by kai ju; 06-23-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Back Marker

Hey Kai Ju, do you remember what the measurement were on the VTX radiator? Do you have more pics of the hose routing?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:52 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kai ju";p=&quot
Since I've last posted I've installed a Penske Shock, RC51 Mufflers and a pre '98-'02 VFR 800 fuel tank.
It looks huge but holds 5.5 gallons.
WOO-HOO! Finally someone else has done one. PICS! PICS! PICS! Feedback too, puh-leeze. But isn't the 5th gen (98-01) a 5.1 gal tank? I've been working on something else with mine. Details soon if it pans out.

Doug
Old 10-26-2005, 10:38 PM
SuperSport

SNGPerformance
To answer your question it is 18.5" x 8.5" x 1.75"
All measurements are taken on the bike and as such not 100% accurate but pretty close.
If you wait till the week end I'll try and be more accurate.
In order to fit the VTX radiator I had to completely redo the battery box and modify the rear of the inner fender to clear the coolant hoses and hold the CBR1000RR filler neck.
Hoserouting is from the bottom left of the radiator along the left side of the engine, through the V over to the waterpump.
You have to get rid of the original overflow tank and a VTR250 tank fits perfect.
The radiator inlet is from the thermostat housing, with the top turned 180deg, along the left side of the engine up along the subframe to the CBR filler neck to a u shaped hose into the radiator inlet.
There is no room on the right side of the engine so all my plumbing is on the left.
I used a combination of automotive hoses as well as VTR/CBR and whatever I could find.
Please don't ask for part numbers, I wasn't smart enough, nor did I expect that anybody else was going to be crazy enough to try this.
If I had to do it over I would buy the tooling that would allow me to make hardlines instead of piecing everything together.
I will help you anyway I can, pics, descriptions etc.
Most of all moral support, go for it.
Kai Ju
Old 10-26-2005, 11:01 PM
SuperSport

Hi Superbling,
It seems I'm following your footsteps, as far as the tank and the pipes are concerned anyway.
The 98-02 tank was an interesting little project, especially since the bike is my way to work and the only time I can work on the bike is on weekends.
It does hold 5.5 gallons, as measured by me when I filled it with one gallon from dry ( to check for leaks ) and then rode to the local gas station and added another 4.5 exactly.
I made a block off plate for the fuel pump hole, which also serves as the fuel valve mount.
It took very little shaping on the underside of the tank except at the fuel sender hole, there I just cut a hole in the airbox lid for clearance, crude but effective.
I fabricated a mount for the rear of the tank which forced me to raise and shorten my seat. ( Seat height is now a lofty 33" )
I used tapered plastic blocks that attach to the subframe with rivnuts to raise the seat.
This will hopefully also allow me to duct pressurized air above the radiator to help cool the beast.
On my ride back from Laguna Seca at high speed/load/ambient temp it got smoking hot, the fan alone didn't do it and the tailsection cutouts are useless but look good. ( man do I wish I had access to a wind tunnel ).
I've since mounted another puller fan directly below the pusher and it seems to work quite well.
I'll hopefully have pics this weekend.
BTW I love the RC51 mufflers, they weigh 1 1/2 lbs less each and sound better to boot.
Kai Ju

Last edited by kai ju; 06-01-2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: pics
Old 10-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Back Marker

Kai Ju, do you have more pics of the install. More of, say, detail pics of the radiator, routing, and overflow bottle? Thanks!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:15 PM
SuperSport

I will try and post pics this weekend of the radiator installation without the tailsection in place.
Kai Ju
Attached Thumbnails The new guy and his VTR-image013.jpg   The new guy and his VTR-image022.jpg   The new guy and his VTR-image026.jpg   The new guy and his VTR-image027.jpg  

Last edited by kai ju; 06-01-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't I read you had an RC exhaust?

Was this a bolt-on? If not, what types of mods were required?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2005, 07:39 PM
SuperSport

I took my stock mufflers and removed the portion that bolts to the headpipe, leaving it long.
Then you do the same thing with the RC mufflers, take them to a muffler shop and have them slight swedged out so that the stock ( VTR ) headpipe adaptors fit ( snugly ) inside .
Use a couple of good quality bandclamps to hold them in place. ( I got mine from a Marine Supply store )
Slot the RC mufflers where you just had them swedged, make the slot the same width as the band clamp.
Because the muffler angle has changed, it's halfway between stock and RC51, I had to make muffler brackets.
I hope to have pics of the installed pipes this weekend.
Kai Ju
Old 10-29-2005, 08:03 PM
SuperSport

As promised here are some pics.
I'll try and illustrate the VFR tank, pipe and radiator so there will be a bunch of pics.
If you have specific questions on any of the mods I will try and answer them as best as I can.
Feedback, positive as well as constructive :wink: is, as always,. appreciated.
Kai Ju
Attached Thumbnails The new guy and his VTR-image010.jpg   The new guy and his VTR-image012.jpg   The new guy and his VTR-image011.jpg  

Last edited by kai ju; 06-01-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: pics
Old 10-29-2005, 08:23 PM
SuperSport

Here are the tank details, at least some of them.
I'll take pics of the tank's underside next time it doesn't have 5.5 gallons in it.
It took very little in terms of making it fit and the front mount is stock.
The fuel sending unit is a bolt on except for the hole that I cut into the top of the airbox lid for clearance.
I had to fabricate the fuel pump block off -plate which doubles as the fuel valve mount.
I had to shorten the seat about 3/8" and raise it 1".
I used plastic blocks that I tapered along the subframe and attached with rivnuts and then tapped to accept the rear cowl front mounts.
Worked out great in terms of legroom, though I'm not quite as flatfooted as I used to be.
Attached Thumbnails The new guy and his VTR-image014.jpg   The new guy and his VTR-image009.jpg   The new guy and his VTR-image006.jpg   The new guy and his VTR-tank-frame-gap.jpg   The new guy and his VTR-image000.jpg  

Last edited by kai ju; 06-01-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:28 PM
SuperSport

It appears that I cannot post more than three pics at a time and this is becoming more work than building the bike.
If you have specific questions or want detail pis of other areas please pm me and I'll try and do so asap.

Kai Ju
Old 10-29-2005, 08:53 PM
Squid

blight

WOW, best lookin nekkid VTR yet! Congratulations...Honda should definitely take notice. Hmmmm, since this is a work in progress mebbe you should consider adding the VFR800 single-sided swingarm and 2 into 1 exhaust? It would look way kewl.

Just my 2 cents...
Cheers,

Brian Light

'98 VTR1000 SSS
'91 VFR750
'75 Kawasaki H1 500
'76 CB400F
Old 10-31-2005, 01:09 PM
MotoGP

Thanks for the pics Kai. The install looks great and by the results of that petcock plate, factory! Nice job, makes mine look like crap. I bet you could sell a few of those around here!

Anyway, I did some more checking and, yes, you are correct the 5th gen (98-01) tank is a 5.5 gallon capacity. I've got a scratched 5th gen sitting in a box collecting dust since I thought it was only a 5.1 gallon. Hmmmm. My current 6th gen is approx. a 5.3 gallon after denting the bottom from the original 5.7gallon to get it to conform around the airbox.

Getting 160-170 miles out of a tank while running 80-85mph on the open road during a 1700 mile trip this last weekend was veeeerrrry nice. I reckon bikes with stock gearing/jetting could easily attain 200 miles per tank with this mod without dipping much into the reserve. WOW!

Did you have to "bob" the rear tank mount for clearence like I did? How close is the vfr red to the vtr? I believe the paint codes are one number off: 157 vs. 158.

Take a 1/2 inch or so rod, grind a point on it, and pound it down the RC exhaust till it breaks through the inner chamber. You'll probably need some large vice grips to wiggle it free. Because of the angle involved, I could only do this once per pipe. This will give it a nicer but still quiet growl. The standard superhawk pipe bafflectomy is much louder BTW.

Again, congrats on the tank mod. I think you will find it simply liberating; totally eliminating the achilles heel of the superhawk/firestorm.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:09 PM
SuperSport

Thanks for the kind words.
I just did my first fillup since the installation of the tank and it took 4.7 gallons at 150 miles, crappy mileage but the big tank does help.
The low fuel light came on at 125 and I rode another 25 miles so I'm pretty sure that my reserve capacity is right at 1.5 gallons/50 miles.
Yes I did have to "bob" the rear of the tank, but I also shortened the seat about 3/8" and that allowed me to use the bobbed rear tank mount as the front seat mount.
If you look at one of the previous pics you can see the holding tab on the seat go under the tank mount which allows the seat pan to go above the fuel tank mount.
The color is extremely close and of no concern, especially since the mismatch of the RC51 front fender is actually more noticeable.
I'm a little reluctant to poke a hole in the mufflers since I don't have any spares, just in case it's too loud for my old ears :wink: , or the Neighbors that still like me.
Thanks again,
Kai Ju
Old 11-06-2005, 12:53 AM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point

this is soooooo rad......I have soo many questions.....haha
Old 11-07-2005, 11:56 AM
SuperSport

Don't mean to gloat....... :wink:
Went canyon riding with caffeine racer on Sunday.( Let's do that again, and thanks for letting me ride your bike )
175 miles on one fill up.
5.2 gallons to do so.
0.3 gallons left in the tank.
If you can get past the appearance, it's a mod I highly recommend.

Kai Ju
Old 11-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Back Marker

caffeineracer
What kai ju didn't tell you is _what_ bike I let him ride.
It wasn't a SuperHawk, wasn't even a Honda, it was a ...............Gasp!

http://www.suzukicycles.com/products...5/Default.aspx

Still have the shawk as 'The bench mark' to build this bike to.
Though this 2005 bike already has the somewhat dated shawk beat in some areas.

~Jeffers
Old 11-08-2005, 06:55 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by caffeineracer";p=&quot
Still have the shawk as 'The bench mark' to build this bike to.
Though this 2005 bike already has the somewhat dated shawk beat in some areas.
Well, you need to put 100+k miles on the suk-zuki to compare it to your superhawk! <jk> It was a used and very cheap SV1000 that got thinking about getting another twin thus eventually leading me to superbling. I really like that blacked out look. I hope you get as many good miles out of the sv as you did the superhawk.

Quick Reply: The new guy and his VTR