Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Single Sided Swingarm (SSS) conversion - how to

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by calitoz
I'm guessing he was responding to my post...

And yeah, it might have been vague... But if you are "old enough" on the forum it's fairly logical...

Trace the origins of the bike that 2whltuner posted images of, and you find that it's the very same bike built by Brian Light... And that is either the first bike with an SSS conversion, or at the very least the first documented build... And it predates me registering on this forum by a few years, having been sold, re-sold and discussed many times over... Hence my comment on "full circle"...
Old 08-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
I'm guessing he was responding to my post...

And yeah, it might have been vague... But if you are "old enough" on the forum it's fairly logical...

Trace the origins of the bike that 2whltuner posted images of, and you find that it's the very same bike built by Brian Light... And that is either the first bike with an SSS conversion, or at the very least the first documented build... And it predates me registering on this forum by a few years, having been sold, re-sold and discussed many times over... Hence my comment on "full circle"...

No tweety. It wasn't direct at you. I knew exactly what you meant....
Old 08-21-2010, 05:25 PM
MotoGP

Well... quoting is a bitch sometimes... I meant ima98chickenhawk...
Old 03-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Squid

ima98chickenhawk is on a distinguished road
yeah tweet sorry. it took me finding images of both the swing arms(vfr750 and 800) to understand what you meant by different configuration, now that i have seen them i get why it seemed like a sufficient answer because it is blatantly obvious. i didn't know what i was looking for so the responses seemed like ya'll were kinda blowin me off. my bad dude.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I think the bike looks better now...... But I might be jaded.
Attached Thumbnails Single Sided Swingarm (SSS) conversion - how to-7.26.10-vtr-001.jpg   Single Sided Swingarm (SSS) conversion - how to-sss-8.27.10-003.jpg   Single Sided Swingarm (SSS) conversion - how to-sss-8.27.10-002.jpg  
Old 03-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
750 arm below

800 arm below

Last edited by hondavtr1000sp2; 05-11-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
If you don't mind me asking, who makes that lower fairing? It fits the Super Hawk so much better than any other lower fairing's I have seen. The front wheel radius fits the stock lines perfectly, I like it. Beautiful bike!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:05 PM
MotoGP

The whole fairing is Mario Nava carbon fiber. If you look closely the upper isn't stock either. It has different lines, less curvy than stock. This lower wouldn't mate up to the stock upper. Slightly more italian to me.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Squid

Step 4: (Linkage Plate and dog bone)

The shock linkage plate and the done bone must be fabricated. I am going to post Brian’s drawing along with the dog bone. This is required since the VTR dog bone cannot be used.

My Firestorm - SuperHawk Forum
ok so i have my sssa and rim i have the drawing for the linkage plate at a local machine shop getting it done right the first time to avoid headache but i cant seem to find any image or drawing of the dog bone with a measurement you were talking about.

how long does it need to be? if anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 AM
MotoGP

Not sure how this thread got resurrected but I actually own the original of Brian Lights SSS bikes. With all due respect, that setup wasn really not well built and was in the process of failing at the aluminum triangles which already had elongated holes from not being strong enuff to begin with.

I have a friend who is a bikebuilder with a machine shop and when I took him the bike to do some custom header work (I was installing a penske and needed clearance) he said he didnt want me to ride the bike due to the linkage failure.

He rebuilt the whole thing in a non failable sort of way and its way better now. I can take pics if anyone wants them. PM me
Old 06-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Squid

gozuki is on a distinguished road
Not sure how this thread got resurrected but I actually own the original of Brian Lights SSS bikes. With all due respect, that setup wasn really not well built and was in the process of failing at the aluminum triangles which already had elongated holes from not being strong enuff to begin with.

I have a friend who is a bikebuilder with a machine shop and when I took him the bike to do some custom header work (I was installing a penske and needed clearance) he said he didnt want me to ride the bike due to the linkage failure.

He rebuilt the whole thing in a non failable sort of way and its way better now. I can take pics if anyone wants them. PM me
Posting pics would be awesome.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Squid

yeah i just wanted to know the little things like this. so im going to switch the material from aluminium to steel and as far as a measurement on the dog bone .. how long does it need to be and i can use aluminium for the material for the dog bone correct?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

perhaps it is the quality of the aluminum itself is the problem. As with all custom fabrications, the end result quality is highly dependent on the materials used and skill set. OEM r&d is what we sometimes fail to respect. As for the dog bone, I will measure when I get back home. On that note, I would suggest instead of a fixed length, you should consider making adjustable one instead. A design similar to adjustable camber arms for cars. This will allow much more flexibility.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Squid

perhaps it is the quality of the aluminum itself is the problem. As with all custom fabrications, the end result quality is highly dependent on the materials used and skill set. OEM r&d is what we sometimes fail to respect. As for the dog bone, I will measure when I get back home. On that note, I would suggest instead of a fixed length, you should consider making adjustable one instead. A design similar to adjustable camber arms for cars. This will allow much more flexibility.
yeah i cant imagine the weight difference is going to net me any noticeable gains so im just going to go over kill with it and use a high quality steel. as for the dog bone i was looking at an adjustable dog bone hanging on the wall at work and had the same thought cross through my head. i would still much appreciate the measurements but i might just look for an adjustable one that would give me the same length. thanks in advance calitoz
Old 06-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

After measuring my set up; on center, it is 4.5 inches. I would again suggest that you fabricate an adjustable link so that you can dial in the exact height that you want. If I had to do it over again, I would do exactly that. GL
Old 06-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Squid

thank you! im going to start measuring the adjustable ones i have available at the shop.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Squid

blight
Hey.... the SSSHawk is still alive! Good to see it hasn't gone to the crusher! Looks good!

I do miss the old girl but I've moved on to several other bikes/projects in the mean-time.

Thanks for sharing!!

BLIGHT
Old 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, still alive. CBR1000RR front end with apex bars. Not my daily rider, its just too nice
Old 01-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
You're definitely jaded...the bike LOOKED better in the original pictures by far, but judging by your posts above and the rework you had done, I'm sure it is a better bike mechanically now.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Squid

blight
Yeah, still alive. CBR1000RR front end with apex bars. Not my daily rider, its just too nice
Cool... wow, 2100 posts? Pretty amazing....you must be the SuperHawk expert here!

Edit: Wait... I just saw someone else with over 5000 posts!!! Wow, lots of free time there I guess. Northern climate perhaps?... perhaps not much time to actually ride a motorcycle? hehehe....

Last edited by blight; 01-09-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: New facts...
Old 01-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Squid

blight
The whole fairing is Mario Nava carbon fiber. If you look closely the upper isn't stock either. It has different lines, less curvy than stock. This lower wouldn't mate up to the stock upper. Slightly more italian to me.
Hey Joe,

The upper is 100% fiberglass. The lower has a small CF panel on the very bottom edge, standard FG on the upper portions. The same goes for the rear seat section, the CF was only in the aft tail piece, although I see the OEM SuperHawk seat in your photos. Mario Nava and I discussed this by cellphone while he was driving before I placed the order... it was a way to reduce cost and still look 'racy'. BTW, Mario based the lower design on the CBR900RR lowers. It's a pretty close copy, and good looking.

Your bike still looks good overall, but frankly I'm not a fan of the white tape (or paint) sections... just my opinion though.. I preferred my original red and contrasting carbon fiber design, which are similar to Mario's designs.

Hope you are enjoying the bike though!!. It really ran like a monster when I sold it to Eric in VA! It looked like this when it shipped out:

Name:  IMG_0067.jpg
Views: 8674
Size:  476.4 KB
Name:  P1220779.jpg
Views: 10595
Size:  241.0 KB
Name:  VTRSIDE.jpg
Views: 11250
Size:  114.3 KB

Also, sorry to hear you are having trouble with the triangular plates... I pulled them after 2000 miles to inspect them and there was no visible wear. Not sure what happened to them after the bike was sold... maybe the subsequent owners were 300 pounders, or the East coast roads were really tough. Dunno. The plates I made were 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum, and a bit thicker than the OEM Honda alloy plates.

Still, folks anyone considering a conversion... good advice to make the triangular plates from steel for your conversions, as an added level of safety. Many recycled metal stocks come from China or wherever in recent years, and may not be quite as strong as expected.

Cheers,
BLIGHT

Last edited by blight; 01-08-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 AM
Squid

Vladimir is on a distinguished road
1 - VFR 800 rear swing arm. VFR 750 swingarm will NOT work because the mounting scheme is completely different. I used a 1999 VFR 800 unit.
Hi guys. Tell a suitable VFR 800 2005 rear swing arm on my VTR1000F 1998? I'm sorry for my English)))
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by blight
Cool... wow, 2100 posts? Pretty amazing....you must be the SuperHawk expert here!

Edit: Wait... I just saw someone else with over 5000 posts!!! Wow, lots of free time there I guess. Northern climate perhaps?... perhaps not much time to actually ride a motorcycle? hehehe....
Well, that would probably be me then... And yes, as I'm in Sweden (the southern part, so kind of inbetween, no bike but not enough snow to go snowmobiling this year... But anyways) I have about six out of twelve months that's enjoyable riding, and another three that's possible but not that enjoyable... So I have been fairly active each winter since I joined in 2006...

When I made my triangles for the swap I did to SP1/SP2 swingarms, I opted to use steel plates for the exact reason that aluminium plates wouldn't really last well...

One thing to note, while you may have selected a nice grade of alu, and a nice thickness, a non OEM plate pattern might put larger than desired load on the holes as a result of the goemetry and mechanical advantage it creates...

I found that some variations of hole pattern that was very, very similar produced very different forces when calculated and very different feeling as far as suspension when i tested them...
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by blight

I guess I have no excuse...... though with the amount of miles I have put on the bike I think I seem to find time for a ride now and then.....
Old 07-13-2013, 01:56 AM
Squid

Vladimir is on a distinguished road
Anybody send me big photos from the first page, please. My mail 750rs@mail.ru
Old 07-18-2013, 05:09 AM
bpw
Back Marker

bpw is on a distinguished road
Hey yeah Im in the process to this thread helped alot. It would save me some time though if I knew the exact size of the triangle deals and do I need a custom dog bone?... or do I get a adjustable dog bone? Never even heard of one but sounds cooool.

Thanks for any help Im literally mid way in right now
Old 03-13-2014, 04:19 AM
Squid

CheshireCat is on a distinguished road
Hey, does anyone know if the newer vfr swing arms fit as well?
Old 05-29-2023, 04:35 AM
Squid

Scorpiokid is on a distinguished road
誰知道怎麼才能看到圖片?
Old 05-29-2023, 07:36 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
What picture?
Old 05-29-2023, 07:16 PM
MotoGP