Flywheel Lightening - Page 3 - SuperHawk Forum

Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #61
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Don thanks for the kind words and, yes that was yours...

Shipping tracking says it's well on its way to you...should see it by the weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upland111 View Post
I think this one was headed my way, and I just wanted to put a shout out to Mr. Marquez for not only his level of detail and craftsmanship, but also note that he is a great guy to do business with.
Thanks Erik,
Don
E.Marquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #62
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Beautiful workmanship
Fastguy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #63
MotoGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastguy59 View Post
Beautiful workmanship
Thank you.
Its a labor of love... I have way more time, tooling costs and machine wear then I could ever charge and feel good about.

But I like doing it, so write off the $$ and time as entertainment.
And folks have been great in understanding the job has to wait till I have time. Its not something I can drop other work for, sometimes they get done the day the flywheel hits my door, sometimes it's 2 weeks.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #64
2/97 VTR
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
Hi there, looking to get a flywheel lightened, I have a spare stocker, so no down time for me, as I know your time is limited. Drop me a PM when you have a moment, thank you.
Kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #65
MotoGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
Hi there, looking to get a flywheel lightened, I have a spare stocker, so no down time for me, as I know your time is limited. Drop me a PM when you have a moment, thank you.
PM received I'll send you something today.

There was another bloke that asked about having one done, I had a computer crash and lost his email....... If the mystery rider is reading this PLEASE send contact again, your flywheel is done and ready.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:44 PM   #66
2/97 VTR
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
Thanks! Greatly appreciated.
Kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:07 PM   #67
MotoGP

Flywheel lighting is back on track
After a long delay, waiting on machine parts, then just time to get on the lathe...
Finally working on a few.....
Started at 7lb 5oz

Finished at 4lb 4 oz

This one is headed to a guy in Singapore

This is the lightest one so far by 2 oz, I have a 4lb 6oz one on my bike
Attached Thumbnails
Flywheel Lightening-flywheel-start-25-july.jpg   Flywheel Lightening-img_8512.jpg   Flywheel Lightening-img_8513.jpg  

Last edited by E.Marquez; 07-27-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #68
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
How low can you go

If you recall I had you do one for me I think down to 6# 4 oz but I STILL have not installed YET because I waited for over a year for Factory pro to finally make some fresh shifter stars to go with their spring and roller detent arm. In the interim last year I bought a FJ-09 and have been giving the VTR only occasional airings while I racked up almost 18k miles on the FJ in less than a Midwest year.

My question is Erik, after reading how you barely discern a difference with sub 6 and even 5 pound flywheels, will I be able to feel an appreciable change? So before I install it should I have you trim it some more? or try it and then decide?

The FJ-09 engine, if you've not ridden one, has an amazingly wide torque spread and spins up brilliantly. However, it's not as fast, powerful, solid feeling or as good a handler as my VTR (not surprising as the FJ still has the barely adequate suspension, though a re-flashed ECU) but it is more comfortable for my old and beaten body over a long day. Which is the primary reason I bought it. My 76 RD400 is a toy to be played with in short sessions...
Attached Thumbnails
Flywheel Lightening-bret-starting-back-7-4-5-8-oz.jpg   Flywheel Lightening-bret-starting-front-7-4-5-8-oz.jpg   Flywheel Lightening-bret-finished-1lb0oz-front.jpg   Flywheel Lightening-bret-finished-1lb0oz-off-back.jpg  
skokievtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #69
MotoGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skokievtr View Post
How low can you go
I think Im there at 4lb 6oz

Quote:
My question is Erik, after reading how you barely discern a difference with sub 6 and even 5 pound flywheels
Did I say that?
BETWEEN the two a sub 6lb and a 5lb, say 4~10 oz difference in that range perhaps not a lot of seat of the pants.
But between stock and 4lb 6oz
or between 6.x anything and 4lb 6oz yes I think you will "feel"
a difference if you were to try them back to back.

Quote:
will I be able to feel an appreciable change? So before I install it should I have you trim it some more? ..
Up to you, but id say keep what you have and if you want another, do like we did before , buy in the US, ship direct, have it sent to you. Sell the one you do not want to keep.
|I think you'll get more return of $$ that way than shipping two ways and paying for the new cut.

Shoot me an email and we can figure it out.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #70
Back Marker

fabiostar is on a distinguished road
Erik can i ask on the basket side of things whats the smallest dia you have went to?
fabiostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:32 AM   #71
MotoGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiostar View Post
Erik can i ask on the basket side of things whats the smallest dia you have went to?
135.5mm is the smallest diameter I have cut to.

I am not confident every flywheel out there is the same, as in they come from different vendors over the years, different runs for the manufactures supply chain, and while Im sure they all have a final spec to be made to, Ive seen enough variance in the ones I have cut to think there is some manufacturing differences in how the individual part maker got to that final spec.

So use caution and have a spare if you cut the basket OD smaller then 136mm

Attached Thumbnails
Flywheel Lightening-mr-light-weight-vtr1000f-flywheel.jpg  
Old 09-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #72
Back Marker

Cheers Erik.. that is some material removed. i have a spare here to practice on myself and im gona run it on my yellow bikes engine to see what kinda results iv got.. still have to get tooled up mind you but it will give me something to play with over the winter..
E.Marquez likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:26 PM   #73
MotoGP

Target weight was "about 5 lb" as rider wanted a "not your lightest version" I weighed swarf as it came off the flywheel for a guesstimate on what i had removed and got close...
Finished weight is 4 lb 12 oz

This one drew blood .......... think of it as razor sharp confetti
Attached Thumbnails
Flywheel Lightening-done-4-12.jpg   Flywheel Lightening-swarf.jpg  

Last edited by E.Marquez; 11-29-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:13 AM   #74
MotoGP

Yesterday I found an interesting and new issue..
I cut the basket of one yesterday to my standard 135mm diameter ..And found the area of the basket that is "stamped" actually caused the steel to fracture and once the deformed steel was cut away, the fracture reveled itself.

The fracture you see was visible at 138mm which is the diameter of the area on this one that is smooth and finished cut. After finding the fracture I did a rough cut to 133mm just to confirm it was a fracture and not just a scratch from dragging a tool across the surface. You can clearly see the fracture in that pic.

At first I thought I had cut too far and it was undersized..but no...the dia was 135.43 mm so almost 1/2mm above my general target..
This is the first time I have seen this issue and I cut two more last night to confirm it was not something "new" I was causing .

The next flywheel i cut at 139mm looked like this the deformed stamping is still just visible.

At 138mm its gone and you can just see a shadow of where it was

So just another item to inspect on a provided or bought flywheel that might make it junk for this MOD ...like the ones I get from ebay that were removed with a 3 jaw puller, or the key way / taper is damaged... flywheel has been dropped and the basket is deformed. 1 in 4 flywheels i look at on ebay are rejected for purchase because of these type of issues and I've been burned a few times still with what shows up.
So look well before you purchase and if your doing this MOD be on the look out when you cut it down for these fractures..... I found them at all stamping locations on that one flywheel..
Attached Thumbnails
Flywheel Lightening-stamping.jpg  
Old 12-02-2017, 05:03 AM   #75
Back Marker

good advice Erik,,, i have went through the records of any i have done and as yourself im in around the 135 dia but so far no cracks, iv an old one here im gona cut down down and see when it gets to the point of failing and see how much meat is on the bone.. as you say they all seem to be slightly different weight/size wise..

something to look out for in future..
Old 12-02-2017, 07:02 AM   #76
MotoGP

I cut this one flywheel to the point of failure to re confirm basket material thickness. At 136mm Im absolutely unconcerned with cutting down to that point.

Theses fractures..there has been only ONE flywheel in all i have done that I found this issue, and the fractures were observable long before 136mm..
Bottom line, as long as your looking for them, you will see them as soon as you clear the last of the stamping from the basket. If not there, it's not an issue for that flywheel.....finish the cut as normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiostar View Post
good advice Erik,,, i have went through the records of any i have done and as yourself im in around the 135 dia but so far no cracks, iv an old one here im gona cut down down and see when it gets to the point of failing and see how much meat is on the bone.. as you say they all seem to be slightly different weight/size wise..

something to look out for in future..