Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Float bowl o-ring

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Squid

pcubiotti is on a distinguished road
Float bowl o-ring

Hey folks,
I'm getting ready to do a carb cleaning on my 98 hawk. It will be a first for me. I read in the service manual that anytime you remove the float bowls, you have to replace the o-ring. Is that completely necessary if its not damaged? I'm trying to do this tomorrow and there isn't any shops around me that will be open, so I will not be able to get a new o-ring. Also the reason I am doing the cleaning is because I seem to be getting gas in my oil. I was instructed to do a good carb cleaning. Anything I should be looking for that may be the cause, while I have it apart? What could be causing the gas in the oil? Bike runs fine except some throttle hesitation at low rpm's.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:23 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pcubiotti
Hey folks,
I'm getting ready to do a carb cleaning on my 98 hawk. It will be a first for me. I read in the service manual that anytime you remove the float bowls, you have to replace the o-ring. Is that completely necessary if its not damaged? I'm trying to do this tomorrow and there isn't any shops around me that will be open, so I will not be able to get a new o-ring. Also the reason I am doing the cleaning is because I seem to be getting gas in my oil. I was instructed to do a good carb cleaning. Anything I should be looking for that may be the cause, while I have it apart? What could be causing the gas in the oil? Bike runs fine except some throttle hesitation at low rpm's.
Not normally required. And in any case local shop open or not, your not likely going to find they have them in stock.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:12 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Gas in the oil is usually caused by a sticking float valve.

When it is disassembled, check the rubber tip on the float valve.

Check for any crud or damage to the rubber tip.

As for the "O" ring, they do not need to be replaced under normal circumstances.