Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Custom Carb Bowl Gasket

Old 09-17-2010, 09:31 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Custom Carb Bowl Gasket

Backstory: I am having a mad gas leak coming from the carbs on my Shadow. I took them off, inspected them, did a quick clean and put them back on only to have a stream of gas pour out of the left bowl when the engine is running, and then when it is off until I turn off the fuel line.

My next guess is that I need new carb bowl gaskets. They sit flush with the metal and visually do not look like they could make a seal. Parts dealer wants 35 bucks for the set, but I found that I can buy material at the auto store and cut it to whatever shape I need.

My question is, has anyone cut custom gaskets for their carbs and do you recommend it?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
You can try it but you will need a very sharp Xacto knife. Personally, I would just save the time and trouble and pony up for new gaskets as a fuel leak can lead to a very bad day.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:25 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
It's OK if you don't mind doing it twice if your precision of cut is not up to standard.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7

My next guess is that I need new carb bowl gaskets.
Guess??
Did you look to see exactly where the gas leak is coming from?

Were the float bowl gaskets damaged when you disassembled the carbs? Did you thoroughly clean the needle and seat when you had the carbs apart?

I would suggest that you determine the exact point where the leak is originating......it is pretty rare for float bowl gaskets to leak unless they have been damaged.....float bowls are vented to atmosphere,pay attention to the vent outlets/hoses.

If you determine that the gaskets are not the cause, disassemble the carbs and check that the floats are in good condition and that they weigh approximately the same.

http://www.amazon.com/Postal-portabl.../dp/B000HKPN7I

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ci_sku=5112087

Use a Q-Tip soaked in carb cleaner to clean the inside of the fuel inlet valve (the seat of the needle and seat), a very tiny bit of crap can hold the needle off the seat enough to cause a leak out of the float bowl vent.

Rex
Old 09-17-2010, 11:50 AM
MotoGP

Yeah, it was a guess fo sho. When the carbs were on the bike it was pouring out... I guess I had a hard time visualizing that much gas coming from a little leak in the seat of the needle. Probably giving myself away as a super noob on this with jargon like "visualizing" and "guess". Needle and seat looked clean to me but I'll stick a q-tip in there and buy a scale to weigh the floats.

Could a damaged pilot needle/o-ring cause this as well? My fine motor skills along with ample understanding of that which is motorcycle may have damaged these in the process...
Old 09-22-2010, 06:43 PM
MotoGP

Cleaned out the needle and seat, solved my problem. Thanks for the suggestion bjorn!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:42 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Good news!!

Rex
Old 09-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Back Marker

thefitzvh is on a distinguished road
I know your problem is solved, but let me tell you what I did regarding gaskets...

I ordered one set of throttle body gaskets for my Vette, and before i used them, i used them to make a template for future gasket needs. That way if i need more, i can cut them easily using my template.