General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

your opinions on....

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 10:49 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
your opinions on....

just wanted to get opinions on what people think about the vtr and weather its a sport bike or a sport-touring bike. i often hear and read about it being referred to as a sport touring bike, but to me it doesnt feel all that different from the flagship sport bikes from each company I.E. cbr's, Gixxers, ninjas, R1 etc.... so i was wondering what everyone else thinks of it as? or what it was intended/ designed and built for. i run my clip ons under the triple so the ergos feel aggressive like a full on sport bike. i really couldnt imagine "touring" on the shawk although i see plenty of it on here. im no max biaggi, and obviously the VTR isnt a ducati (although it sounds like one) but i drop knees and keep up with the r1's and gixxers and what not. of course im referring to canyons, not tracks (ive never tracked the shawk, but fully intend to this upcoming season) so what does everyone else see the VTR as?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:09 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
UJM universal japanese motorcycle
Old 01-03-2014, 12:34 AM
Squid

2wheelsagain is on a distinguished road
I'd agree with the UJM line except the Bandit holds that award in the current crop.

My bike is 12 yrs old and it would have been more sporting than anything except outright sports bikes regardless of engine configuration when new.

To class the VTR as anything but sport/touring (stock) is doing it an injustice in current times.

They're not powerful enough to be classed as anything else but I'm happy with that because they sound fantastic and have a bit of character
Old 01-03-2014, 06:47 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I'll take sport-touring for insurance purposes

Although honestly it seems ready for whatever like these guys said^. The only part of it that makes me think less touring is that the 2up riding doesn't seem on par with what you can do with other sport-touring bikes.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:20 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
It is a niche bike that really fits no one class, and can be modded / used in more than one depending on the user and Mods.

I ride it like a sport bike most days... but have also ridden it for hours or days at a time (one up, wife has her own bike) Iron Butt 1800 miles to Indy for the GP, 2 day trips to Oklahoma, Colorado, and all across Texas. Use it for short trips to work, the store better suited to a scooter.lol

If I was forced to classify it in one category or another .. I'd say Sport .. acknowledging that it is at the low end performance wise of that group.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:25 AM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
I'll take sport-touring for insurance purposes
I believe the first two or three years are classified as a supersport and the later years are classified as a standard as far as insurance goes. Bummers for my 98 cuz the insurance for a "1000cc supersport" is insane
Old 01-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jscobey
I believe the first two or three years are classified as a supersport and the later years are classified as a standard as far as insurance goes. Bummers for my 98 cuz the insurance for a "1000cc supersport" is insane
If that is what your insurance company says, change insurance companies.

Honda classified all years as "Sport Bike"

But different insurance companies will call it different things.

I don't pay much for my full coverage insurance, but then Im old, have multiple bikes insured, married, own a house... and don't live in CA so your findings may differ. See my "Motorcycle down" thread for my satisfaction with Progressive
Old 01-03-2014, 10:49 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Japanese Ducati: