Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Opinions on modular hemets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 06:04 AM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Opinions on modular hemets?

After riding in a group lately I am considering a modular helmet ,other than being noisy ( that seems to be the biggest complaint) what brands are the good ones ? I can get the fulmer modus for dealer cost. $ 70.00 . What do you think? I just dont know about the quality & safety http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/afm.html I like the red thrust!
Old 11-26-2006, 12:25 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Well, you asked for it so here it is:

My opinion is that they are only for BMW riders.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I had the Shoei Syncrotec, which was supposed to be one of the better flip-face/modular helmets on the market. The wind noise, as you said already, is unbearable. It is just as bad as my full-flowing X11, but the Syncro hardly vents (unless you ride with it open). What's worse is that during the rainy season (in LA, that lasts about 5 days), the helmet would leak near the visor/flip seal. The helmet was also heavy, and was only DOT rated for its crash-worthiness.

The HJC modular ones seem to offer a lot of bang for the buck. If I was forced to buy one, I would look into the Caberg Justisssimo (http://www.helmetharbor.com/streethe...rg/opening.htm) or the Schuberth line (http://www.helmetharbor.com/streethe...h/opening.htm) because of the features. Some riders I have spoken with really like their Schuberth's, but they are quite expensive.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:14 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I've been wearing an HJC cl-max for about 1 & 1/2 years. It's no noiser than my previous arai's which aren't quite either but I use earplugs anyway.

It's probably just my particular model but it's the most comfortable helmet I've ever had (mostly shoei's and arai's). Even on day long rides, I typically won't take it off a gas stops. No hot spots or pressure points that eventually "burn" into your head at the end of the day.

Just like a microwave oven or a cell phone, you really don't recognize the convenience of the flip-up design until you have one. Great on group rides when you need to talk at a stop, get a lot more breeze/cooling at very low speeds (like cueing at a traffic light), at a long stop just flip it up to talk, eat, or drink. You don't even need to remove your gloves. I can walk in to a store and converse with people without a bunch of "whats?" and "huhs?" :-)

And then there's the safety factor. None are snell rated so you can't use 'em on the track but they are, of course, DOT and even Euro (some brands) certified. My thinking is if the helmet is subjected to a blunt force great enough to break the latching mechanism (either plastic or metal) it will break my neck too.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:18 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by marmaladeboy
The HJC modular ones seem to offer a lot of bang for the buck. If I was forced to buy one, I would look into the Caberg Justisssimo (http://www.helmetharbor.com/streethe...rg/opening.htm) or the Schuberth line (http://www.helmetharbor.com/streethe...h/opening.htm) because of the features. Some riders I have spoken with really like their Schuberth's, but they are quite expensive.
A friend of mine had a shubert and he really liked the features but it had some quality control issues and at the price it shouldn't have any. He now has a Caberg and thinks it's a better deal in the upper end market.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Originally Posted by superbling
A friend of mine had a shubert and he really liked the features but it had some quality control issues and at the price it shouldn't have any. He now has a Caberg and thinks it's a better deal in the upper end market.
I didn't know about the quality issues. That definitely knocks them down a rung on my list.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Squid

barkmagnet is on a distinguished road
Most of the guys I talked to wear glasses and say they work great with them. I have never worn one.
It would sure be easier to use with sunglasses no need to carry extra visor.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Squid

superbird is on a distinguished road
I got the Nolan (N102 I think it was) and liked the fit lot. Nolans are long ovals. It wasn't too noisy on a short test but I sent it back because their quick release chin strap had a really bulky buckle that dug into my throat. Swapping it out for a d-ring didn't look like practical thing to do. Too bad, I liked the helmet otherwise.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Get one with metal latch hardware. IIRC the Nolans and Shuberths have it. Some of the newer HJC models may as well. Both latches on my Sy-Max failed when the chinbar hit the pavement in my '04 get-off.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:57 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
Cool

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/roof-helmet/roof-boxer/

http://www.crazy-custom.de/skull_20.htm

I've been wearing the Roof Boxer helmet as my winter helmet since 2002. The lack of ventilation in the back of the head make this helmet particularly warm, in the summer time it's not so good.
The ability to move the face shield and chin bar indepedently really makes this helmet unique, though not USA DOT approved, but SNELL approved. I really like mine.
I've also tried the Nolan N100, N200 helmets, they seem to press my cheek bone more than I like, not very comfortable IMO.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

That new Shoei looks mighty tempting, though...
Old 12-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
that is a neat idea,,,must put it on my list to try next time I am in a store....
Old 12-23-2006, 04:06 AM
Squid

rhu5
Modulars...

Noisier (though noise isn't a problem w/ me), heavier, not as comfortable and too many moving parts for my taste. I'm just in a comfort zone with a full face.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Well I just thought I let you guys know I ended up with the Fulmer modus for $60.00 + $10 for smoked shield (couldnt pass it up) no tax or shipping. And yes it is noisy ,but not as bothersome as I thought . It is very comfortable and not to heavy & at the same time doesnt feel cheap and flimsy , its a lot easier to see out of than my Bell . I think its gonna be great in the summer time ( along with noise it has great airflow) . And NO ! I do not plan to crash test it.. But if I do I will try to let you all know. LOL http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/afm.html
Old 01-07-2007, 09:06 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
These modular helmets are all the rage in Europe but I have never owned one. For $60 and free shipping I might have bitten. I grew up in a Bell helmet but I don't know what happened. People bitch about low visibility and cheap construction (people I respect btw) so I don't know what changed. They used to own the road. I run Icons, HJC and Scorpion helmets now. I do like the idea of being able to flip it up to get a drink or chat at traffic signals.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:16 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
No sir.....I don't like 'em. I tried my brothers Nolan and had no real complaints I just don't trust them.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:31 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Well, I gotta agree with SH22. I guess I got over it though reasoning that if they DID come apart on impact they wouldn't get approval but he's right - if you don't trust your equipment you're not concentrating on riding. When I bought my helmets it was never a question. I went with what I had always worn and I didn't need some new fangled contraption.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:45 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I really have nothing to back up my mistrust, except the track won't allow you to wear them but I still wouldn't be able to get it out of the back of my mind. My wife likes my pretty face the way it is.