General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Motorcycle Down

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Motorcycle Down

So last Saturday 15 Jun, my SH was knocked over in a parking lot.
Parked in the Killeen mall parking lot by the Sears entrance, someone accidentally or purposely knocked my bike over and departed the scene. A witness, or at least a person that realized a bike leaning over at 45deg on cart return rack was not right alerted me (a guy wearing a red motorcycle jacket, riding boots and pants carrying a red helmet) . She asked if I was riding the red bike outside, I said yes and she said. “Someone just knocked your bike over” being all of 20 feet from the door I scooted out,,,to see what was up.. No one around bike leaning on cart rack.. turn around and lady is no place to be seen.
Pick up bike and damage to the faring is obvious,
Name:  leftsidefairingandcurbonright_zps6c89eb68.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  91.9 KB

tank dented,
Name:  tankdent_zps3d5fff00.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  40.4 KB

mirror scratched,
Name:  mirror_zps7f1275ed.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  61.0 KB

fearing stay bent.

Called police, they responded in minutes to take a report… one stationed in the mall and one by car.. impressive for a non-injury accident in a privet property parking lot.. Well done KPD..
They reviewed the mall video, one fixed camera did not have a line of sight, the mobile one was pointed the other direction.
Determined to be either vandalism or accidental (playing on the shiny red bike?)
Comprehensive insurance by Progressive will somewhat cover the damage, started the claim today… Pretty simple so far, call, report claim, call back in minutes by initial claims person, to me contacted today by the “field” person.
$500 deductible is going to suck,, and the likelihood damage repair costs will exceed what they are willing to cover on a 1998 MY bike /.. NADA is about $2500 retail. Repair parts alone are in the range of $1200 best price online suppliers, $1900 using MSRP prices and will over all be somewhat less due to employee discounts at the local Honda dealer.
That does not include labor or paint work if needed.
Bummed is not even close to how I feel.
My wife tells me, she has seen a rash of bikes “knocked over” in parking lots the last few weeks, no visual or reasonable explanation.

So now we wait on an insurance adjuster..
With luck we can come to an agreement that does not reach total $$ and that pay out minus the deductible will cover parts costs.. labor is my own time/ expense.

Seems the Good Samaritan that helped pick the bike up, may have cracked the right fairing as well…

Name:  rightsidefairingkneelegorhandpickingitup_zps9546f784.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  57.7 KB

He either grabbed what looked like a nice “hand hold” and pulled out.. or pressed in with knee or leg cracking the faring.
Name:  rightside_zps2668a30d.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  85.7 KB
I know that crack was not present just the day before when I washed the bike. Initial adjuster comments indicate they do not believe they will cover that damage as it likely cannot be “connected” to the event without a witness statement, which I do not have.. dude was just walking by and offered to help.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 06-21-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

In hind sight, though I parked in a “protected” spot… It was in a high foot traffic area… and so I traded safety from vehicle accidents for more likely to have “person” traffic accident.

The dealership my wife works at has seen an upswing on bikes that are found on the ground by owners when left in public spots (parking lots) the last few months.. Is it because the bikes are coming out of winter storage and this is just more bikes = more accidents?
Or is there some person/ group that is having fun knocking bikes over? Of course all of the local schools let out about the same time bikes started falling over when left unattended…. Coincidence?

Name:  2431E2E4-A3FE-4F39-B311-BA8FEDE0E737-2827-00000351C87587D6_zpsc1928ec1.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  260.0 KB
Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

All in all not bad.
We had some heated discussion on what was a collision and what was comprehensive coverage in the beginning. Rep stated if there was no proof, witness ect it was a comprehensive event, then it would be considered collision, and as I'm not covered on that, there might not be a claim.

The "management" would need to decide. I said ok,.. showed a copy of the policy that stated what a collision definition was and the policy language that stated what kinds of events were covered under my paid for comp coverage... she started with "Texas law says if it is not provable to NOT BE a collision, then that is what it is a collision..:miffed:.. I asked her to go talk to her manager on the phone, and come back with a decision, and please be ready to cite the Texas law that states that, and an explanation of why the policy text stating in part
"INSURING AGREEMENT - COMPREHENSIVE COVERAGE
If you pay the premium for this coverage, we will pay for sudden, direct, and accidental loss to a covered motorcycle or a non-owned motorcycle that is not caused by collision.
A loss not caused by collision includes:
1. contact with an animal (including a bird);
2. explosion or earthquake;
3. fire;
4. malicious mischief or vandalism;
5. missiles or falling objects;
6. riot or civil commotion;
7. theft or larceny; or
8. windstorm, hail, water, or flood." "
Did not cover what the police report is calling an act of vandalism.

10 min later I was told, it's all good sorry for the confusion, but we are covering this claim under your Comp coverage :argh:
All damage covered outright but the faring stay.. it is a $250 item and not obviously bent.. until I get new plastics on it, with holes that do not line up I can not "prove"it is bent. But was told, a supplemental claim is as easy as taking a pic of the misalignment and a check will be cut immediately for the extra damage.

Minus my $500 deductible on the Comp policy I received a check immediately an amount much more then I thought they would cover without wanting to total the bike. Ok, so yes, Im impressed at this point.

The agent and i spoke at ease the rest of the way, she apologized for phrasing the early parts in a way that made me think they were looking for a way to deny the claim. I guess a significant portion of the Comp claims they get are from folks that have had a accident (moving , ie crash) and then try and claim it under comp.... the drag, scratch, gouging ,marks make it pretty obvious the bike did not just fall over (for what ever reason) while standing still.
So I guess if you have one fall out of a trailer at speed (a comp claim under my policy) you bets be able to prove with witnesses, police report ect, that it was NOT a collision..(ie crash)
Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
A little old man knocked one of my bikes over with his truck. He had State Farm, they took excellent care to quickly send an adjuster, who I thought was generous, and mail a check to me. Looks like you're gonna come out alright!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jerryh
Looks like you're gonna come out alright!
The adjuster would not cover the right fairing... That is reasonable. I know it was caused by the "helper" but I can see it being difficult to connect.

She also would not cover the fairing stay as it is not obviously bent.. BUT she said if once removed it is bent, or shown to be bent upon replacing the plastic a simple picture is all I need and they will do a supplemental claim, check cut that day

The amount paid will cover two new fairing sides, tank replacement, Mirror and exhaust will be repaired in house.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 06-19-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:26 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Act of Vandalism... WTF... hate when that happen...
Sorry to hear that Erik, hope you get the bike fixed soon and not with your own money...
Old 06-20-2013, 02:14 AM
Back Marker

Super Hawk Pro is on a distinguished road
Rental reimbursement? Tell them you want a 1198 ducati
Old 06-20-2013, 05:37 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Super Hawk Pro
Rental reimbursement? Tell them you want a 1198 ducati
Hmmmm, well I do now a local dealer that could provide a Speed tripple R for an extended test ride
Old 06-20-2013, 05:50 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Claim check deposited.
New left and right fairing ordered, be here wed next week.
Left rear muffler mount/peg replaced with a like new one I had on hand.
Left muffler straightened at the tube (very slight tweak that bent right out)
Metal arm on the left mirror painted last night...all better

That leaves the tank...... decisions, decisions, decisions....
Old 06-20-2013, 07:04 AM
Back Marker

Super Hawk Pro is on a distinguished road
I think the unobtainium tank for 200 miles is still available
Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 AM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
All in all not bad.
We had some heated discussion on what was a collision and what was comprehensive coverage in the beginning. Rep stated if there was no proof, witness ect it was a comprehensive event, then it would be considered collision, and as I'm not covered on that, there might not be a claim.

The "management" would need to decide. I said ok,.. showed a copy of the policy that stated what a collision definition was and the policy language that stated what kinds of events were covered under my paid for comp coverage... she started with "Texas law says if it is not provable to NOT BE a collision, then that is what it is a collision..:miffed:.. I asked her to go talk to her manager on the phone, and come back with a decision, and please be ready to cite the Texas law that states that, and an explanation of why the policy text stating in part
Did not cover what the police report is calling an act of vandalism.

10 min later I was told, it's all good sorry for the confusion, but we are covering this claim under your Comp coverage :argh:
All damage covered outright but the faring stay.. it is a $250 item and not obviously bent.. until I get new plastics on it, with holes that do not line up I can not "prove"it is bent. But was told, a supplemental claim is as easy as taking a pic of the misalignment and a check will be cut immediately for the extra damage.

Minus my $500 deductible on the Comp policy I received a check immediately an amount much more then I thought they would cover without wanting to total the bike. Ok, so yes, Im impressed at this point.

The agent and i spoke at ease the rest of the way, she apologized for phrasing the early parts in a way that made me think they were looking for a way to deny the claim. I guess a significant portion of the Comp claims they get are from folks that have had a accident (moving , ie crash) and then try and claim it under comp.... the drag, scratch, gouging ,marks make it pretty obvious the bike did not just fall over (for what ever reason) while standing still.
So I guess if you have one fall out of a trailer at speed (a comp claim under my policy) you bets be able to prove with witnesses, police report ect, that it was NOT a collision..(ie crash)
I made a claim with Progressive on my BMW a year ago, I was told by the adjuster that it was covered and that I could expect my insurance rate to go up about $150. I went through with the claim, the next insurance bill showed my insurance more than doubled! I have been a customer since 1995, no accidents, no other claims, not a single ticket and they doubled my insurance rate to over $750. annually. Rat bastards!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
I have a red near mint tank i would be willing to sell.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superdutyd
I have a red near mint tank i would be willing to sell.
PM sent
Old 06-20-2013, 08:24 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by twist
I made a claim with Progressive on my BMW a year ago, I was told by the adjuster that it was covered and that I could expect my insurance rate to go up about $150. I went through with the claim, the next insurance bill showed my insurance more than doubled! I have been a customer since 1995, no accidents, no other claims, not a single ticket and they doubled my insurance rate to over $750. annually. Rat bastards!
Well if they do that to me it's an easy decision, I have other options, Progressive was only a bit cheaper.. insuring 4 bikes.. I went with them.. but with the hassle I went though initially with this adjuster, if the rates go up at all... I'll drop um in a heart beat.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Squid

wndsrfr48 is on a distinguished road
Marquez, good to hear things are working out fairly well. I'm not a big fan of insurance companies, but it sounds like you're getting a square deal. keep us informed
Old 06-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
The one who did the dirty deed was probably watching you grieve over it from a safe and cowardly distance. There are millions of them and their ranks are growing day by day. They pervade society and their leadership continually feed them poison about all that's "unfare" in life and encourage them to "get even" at times. I don't let my bikes out of my sight since I know they're opportunists and they always live defeated lives.

'
Old 06-20-2013, 03:18 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Sux Erik!! Good to see your on your way to recovery.
None of your TWT pics are viewable & we'd like to see the ugly stuff.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Sux Erik!! Good to see your on your way to recovery.
None of your TWT pics are viewable & we'd like to see the ugly stuff.
Fixed
Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Now you can buy that Harris tank.....
Old 06-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RWhisen
Now you can buy that Harris tank.....
ya,,,,,errrrrrrrrrr, no
Old 06-21-2013, 04:03 AM
MotoGP

Red face

Fixed
The only pic working is the photobucket one.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:31 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

The only pic working is the photobucket one.
They are ALL photobucket now.. changed um last night...
Try clearing your cache and reload the page.???
I just checked the post in edit mode.. there are no links back to that other web site.
Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle Down-post.jpg  

Last edited by E.Marquez; 06-21-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:35 AM
MotoGP

Workin' now.
Fark, that really blows. That is something that is in the back of my mind when parking in a public place. The tank dent is the biggest bummer. Hope that used one pans out. Did you get a pic of it laid over?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Did you get a pic of it laid over?
... No.. I was um.... distracted.... and looking for someone appearing guilty to shoot...

I was not thinking about insurance or internet forum posting.. So I just picked it up..... later I realized I should have taken a second to capture the bike against the rail.. but I'll be damned if I was going to lay it down again..

As it turns out... it would not have changed the heated discussion with the agent, nor provided the evidence they were "requiring" at first.

Still, a mistake on my part for sure...

Used tank has been committed for from a member here.
Honda parts order goes to the warehouse Saturday afternoon (this dealer only orders once a week)

Decided headers are getting ceramic powder coated, and mufflers powder coated.. Not replacing at this time even though I really want high mounts.

Mirrors are off, sanded and tapped up. I'll mix up some paint tonight if the humidity stays where it's at, and spray them tonight.

Not much else will happen till wed when parts come in.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by twist
Well if they do that to me it's an easy decision, I have other options, Progressive was only a bit cheaper.. insuring 4 bikes.. I went with them.. but with the hassle I went though initially with this adjuster, if the rates go up at all... I'll drop um in a heart beat.
Ahhh pour Flow. She must be sad...

Good insurance companies are hard to find. When I totalled my '98, damage was far more important then bike value, so, they wrote up a check and sent me way more them what I would of gotten for the bike if
I would of sold it. In this deal, I bought the bike back from the insurance company for the cost of 400$ (obviously this amount was subtracted from the check). Parted the '98, and used many parts to fine tune my '05.
My insurance has benn going down every year ever since. I thought the following year, it would raise substantially. The complete oposite happened. 15$ less, and still going.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:06 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear. That sucks getting you bike tipped. And neophyte drivers ask why I park on the sidewalk and have my plate on caribiners. Better to annoy but not get damaged. It takes alot to tip a bike, usually someone sitting on it.

Dont think I could be held responsible for what I'd do if I caught someone. I did watch a drunk guy tip mine once outside the club I managed. Went to his less drunk friend & got him to get me $400 cash out of an atm.

Rarely turns out that good though.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Fairing stay is bent.............damn it
Name:  3D355D3C-4D65-4136-80F5-4010C6406DA7-3595-000004BCAAB0B554_zpsd52f5f88.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  78.5 KB

Sitting on some machinist parallels
Name:  9E6B4E0E-DF9D-43E0-987A-0AF7201E46EB-3595-000004BCBB91F059_zps31cdc6c4.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  94.2 KB
Name:  1CC9E57B-65E7-4002-ACE2-881FE7259034-3595-000004BCFC1EFFF1_zpse5d5d621.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  62.9 KB

Name:  495E7DFD-E06A-412B-BFF6-60E4E4BA2922-3595-000004BCEC5B48A5_zpsfecc0a67.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  82.8 KB

Bent inward about .25"

Supplemental insurance claim made today. approved in 30 min. Check cut, in mail Monday morning Im told.

So ordered a new one today as well. That's another $173 in parts
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Insurance agent just called....Supplemental claim for the bent fairing stay.........................................appro ved.. Check just went in the mail this morning....
Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Nice! Score one for the little guy. Alway good to hear. Now you can ebay the "slightly tweaked" one.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

And the bad news is, the recommended paint shop wants almost $500 to strip, repair the small dent (no filler) prime, paint, decal, clear coat this tank.

Used tanks are $250-350 shipped and come with flaws (minor, .. not bad for a 10-14 year old tank, but there none the less)

New tank is $580.23 out the door.
Or
Just deal with it as is.. My bike runs around with a tank bag on all the time anyway.

If i go to sell the bike someday, no one is going to pay $500 more for it having a flawless tank, or significantly less then the rock bottom price these bikes ell for , it having a used tank with a very minor dent.

Decision, decision, decisions.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Down