General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

winter holiday

Old 11-29-2012, 05:08 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Hopey is on a distinguished road
winter holiday

Hi out there ,I'm plannig on trailering my bike down south just after Christmas for a week of riding(from Britsh Columbia Canada)Ive been googling and such ,but thought I'd ask some of you!Where a good base would be?no more snow ,high snowy passes and such! I hear Northern California is wet and nevada is ifee too!My plan would be to ditch my rig and tour areas around or keep on going from a point from there ?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I live in Grover Beach, just south of San Luis Obispo. Roads here are a dream, we have more twistiest and canyons than anywhere else you will find. It is a very small town feel around here, lots of hills, canyons, and oak trees, so you don't get the crazy cagers like in north or south Cali. You can ride the entire central coast stretch, ranging from Monterey down highway 1 to San Luis Obispo for the coastal route, or Monterey down 101 to San Luis Obispo for the boring but inland freeway route. The best roads will be found in the vicinity of Paso Robles, with some very good ones connecting the southern part of the county. You could very well start in Monterey and ride the beat roads you will ever find all the way down to Ventura. Looks up San Luis Obispo on a map and check out some of the local roads, most notable Highway 1, Highway 58, Highway 229, Chimney Rock Road, Highway 33 (connects with highway 58 east of San Luis Obispo and can take you all the way to Ventura), etc. If you do make it down this way be sure to contact me, I will point you in the right direction for everything from riding to eating to bars. Keep in mind its not Canada, but it does get down to between 50 and 20 degrees Farenheit in some places so bring winter gear. The road's can also stay wet for a few days and wet oak leaves on a wet road can ruin your day, so don't expect sunshine and lemonade when you get here. Have a safe trip!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Thanks aja, sounds awesome.Im just begining this holiday plan .If I come your way I'll definitely pm you !
Old 12-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Any one else out there have destinstion ideas ??
Old 12-02-2012, 01:35 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Forget that lame-*** california ****. I got a real destination idea for ya.

come on down here to pa, freeze your *** off, gravel and salt on the roads, cagers wanna run you into the ditch and get your license number, and bear, deer and turkey vultures think they own the road. Bring your tire chains and heated gear is required.

The PA DOT welcomes you also as they specifically target motorcyclists with their proficient road repair methods...........they magicaly turn holes into bumps, challenge your skills with half lane repairs that make you wiggle like a 3yr old with a hoola hoop, and then toss crap on the road surface like they're puttin sprinkles on a cupcake.

When you get back to canook land, you'll surely have plenty of stories to entertain your buddies at the bar.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Funny Guy!, I'm trying to get away from that ,but thanks for the invite.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hopey
Funny Guy!, I'm trying to get away from that ,but thanks for the invite.
I did some of those roads on the left coast incl rt 1 monterey to LA and aja is def on the mark. Take him up on that offer if you like to lean and you might wanna move there.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So wait, they will just let Canucks march down here and ride around on our roads like its some kind of playground? That doesnt seem right, do they make you guys bring some of that beer down? Only seems fair.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

We don't have to bring beer anymore ,just some of our new plastic money.Surfer you must have married one of the last ones allowed out !our federal govrment now prohibits cross boarder love shopping
Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hopey
We don't have to bring beer anymore ,just some of our new plastic money.Surfer you must have married one of the last ones allowed out !our federal govrment now prohibits cross boarder love shopping
I couldn't help not noticing you got a few dirt bikes, how about getting them down to AJA as well, beside the dream roads you also have the best dunes in the country right next door in Pismo Beach and plenty of dirt roads, I would not pass this if I could... just think how many times you get an opportunity like this....
Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 PM
aja
SuperSport

Originally Posted by NHSH
I couldn't help not noticing you got a few dirt bikes, how about getting them down to AJA as well, beside the dream roads you also have the best dunes in the country right next door in Pismo Beach and plenty of dirt roads, I would not pass this if I could... just think how many times you get an opportunity like this....
I get the opportunity every day My house is exactly .3 miles from the entrance to the Pismo Dunes. If you like big sandy woops, deep bowls, and huge dunes, this is the place for you. Actually Top Gear US just filmed an episode out there 2 days ago in the rain. If sand isn't your thing, we have more forest roads and off-road trails than you could visit if you rode 24 hours a day for a week, and almost every one has free campsites back in the forest if you want to stay. The off-road riding around here is so good that I justify keeping two street legal dirt bikes registered and ready to ride year round. Just remember, if riding the dunes or forest roads you need a green sticker and spark arrestor, for some reason the politician's here like to ruin everyone's fun. If I were you and were in the area, I would make it a priority. There are anti OHV groups that are trying to deny vehicle access to the beach right now, and it may pass.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 PM
aja
SuperSport

Maybe this will entice you

And from the Top Gear shoot

My buddy, his FJ40, and Rutledge
Name:  598389_10200160431793906_923391237_n.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  54.1 KB

Adam stuck in the Escalade

Adam in the white Escalade, Tanner in the Range Rover with the busted suspension
Name:  486384_10200160499915609_1629714710_n.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  48.4 KB

Also saw this bad *** Volvo out there
Name:  403135_10200160469594851_409185395_n.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  35.4 KB
Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by aja
I get the opportunity every day My house is exactly .3 miles from the entrance to the Pismo Dunes. If you like big sandy woops, deep bowls, and huge dunes, this is the place for you. Actually Top Gear US just filmed an episode out there 2 days ago in the rain. If sand isn't your thing, we have more forest roads and off-road trails than you could visit if you rode 24 hours a day for a week, and almost every one has free campsites back in the forest if you want to stay. The off-road riding around here is so good that I justify keeping two street legal dirt bikes registered and ready to ride year round. Just remember, if riding the dunes or forest roads you need a green sticker and spark arrestor, for some reason the politician's here like to ruin everyone's fun. If I were you and were in the area, I would make it a priority. There are anti OHV groups that are trying to deny vehicle access to the beach right now, and it may pass.
What exactly they trying to conserve??? It's not like the bikes causing any significant damage to the dunes that cannot be fixed in one wind blow? Recreation vehicles do more damage to nature then road vehicles? If they really want to save the world, they need to go to china and try to stop their pollution that grows in a rate never seen before in history and not concern about a FEW OHV's out playing in a safe environment.
Oh man, now I wish I was there before the politicians closing in, my dirt bikes hibernating most of the year due to the same type of politicians over here, it becomes real a hassle to even find a place to ride. Sorry for my grunt.
I miss the dirt rides in Australia, practically no limits to what you can do.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by aja
Maybe this will entice you Oceano Dunes 2012 - YouTube

And from the Top Gear shoot

My buddy, his FJ40, and Rutledge

Adam stuck in the Escalade

Adam in the white Escalade, Tanner in the Range Rover with the busted suspension

Also saw this bad *** Volvo out there
that's what I'm talking about when can I come? I wish.....
Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM
aja
SuperSport

Originally Posted by NHSH
What exactly they trying to conserve??? It's not like the bikes causing any significant damage to the dunes that cannot be fixed in one wind blow? Recreation vehicles do more damage to nature then road vehicles? If they really want to save the world, they need to go to china and try to stop their pollution that grows in a rate never seen before in history and not concern about a FEW OHV's out playing in a safe environment.
Oh man, now I wish I was there before the politicians closing in, my dirt bikes hibernating most of the year due to the same type of politicians over here, it becomes real a hassle to even find a place to ride. Sorry for my grunt.
I miss the dirt rides in Australia, practically no limits to what you can do.
The old reason for closing the ohv area was the endangered Snowy Plover, which lives in the dunes. They close down part of the OHV area for breeding 5 months out of the hear, and there are also endangered plants that are native to the dunes. The Chumash Indians inhabited the dunes and there are a lot of artifcats buried in the sand, as well as the full movie set from The Ten Commandments, which is pretty weird tocstumble upon (do a Google image search). Besides that, there is a mesa about 2 miles inland, and the sand kicked up from the dunes carries in the air tocrhe mesa, and makes the air quality bad for the homes and schools that are up there. It is the areas #1 revenue generator and I fear what will become of the area if it is shut down.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:37 PM
aja
SuperSport

The 60s were the best time for the dunes. You could enter in Pismo Beach and the entire 15 miles coastline and dunes were open to offroading. Now it is limited to a 6 miles stretch of beach that takes you to the dunes, and the area you can ride in is restricted. It is still a blast, but they closed off the best parts. At the southern end of the beach that is now closed off you can still find rusty bolts and car parts in the dunes.

Next time you are through the area you have to go. You can rent quads, sand rails, dune buggies, and they have Humvee rides. Or just give me a heads up and ill pull out the klr 650 and drz 400 and show you around!