Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Holiday in hawaii questions.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Squid

Rolla_guy1 is on a distinguished road
Holiday in hawaii questions.

i'm heading to hawaii for a holiday and i was wondering if anyone new of good bike shops that i can check out while i'm there? also if there is anything i should go see? thanks
Old 04-11-2010, 09:24 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Keep your eye on it if you rent one. A guy I know rented a Harley, took it back to his hotel and parked it in the hotel parking structure. Came back out an hour later, and it was gone. He was on the Big Island, if I recall correctly. Rip-offs in the Islands are common, no offense to ohauhawk. I've been there.

It cost him a bunch, since he didn't buy the expensive theft insurance. He thinks he was set up.

I'd wait until I got home to ride, or buy all the insurance they offer so it costs you nothing if it's stolen or crashed.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:30 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
What to see depends on the island you are on. There are many guide books, and I'm sure there's tons of info online.

The Big Island (Hawaii) has the most diverse surroundings, and is more laid back. It would take at least 2 weeks to see all parts of the Big Island. All the beaches are great, just respect the locals. And stay away from the West Side of Oahu...that's pretty much locals only.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:54 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Hi there Rolla,

Glad to hear you're coming to Hawaii. We have a variety of bike shops, but few with specialty gear if that is what you are looking for. On Oahu there are mostly dealerships with the usual goods in the parts/accessories dept. A couple of independent shops that trade in sport bike gear exist. Your best bet is to look in the yellow pages of the telephone directory once you get here.

If you're a Harley kind of guy, there are dealerships on all of the major islands that will sell you location-branded clothing.

Hawaii, and especially Honolulu, is no more dangerous than any metropolitan area with a population of over a million people. Actually it's a little safer if US national statistics are accurate. Thefts and vehicle break-ins do occur, especially if someone leaves something valuable in plain sight on the seats.
No drive-by shootings to worry about.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Squid

Thanks for that guys. i'm staying in waikiki for 2 weeks. dont think i'll be hiring a bike but i am after some gear. i'm not a big harley fan but do enjoy looking at the custom ones.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
I married a local girl from Kapahulu (10 minutes from Waikiki). The locals are the best people in the world. Do yourself a favor and get out of town and see the North Shore. . The Beaches in Waikiki have too much suntan lotion rubbed in them. Clean sand is on the other sides. Eat local food and listen to local music and watch the stress melt away. Have at least one Shave Ice at Matsumoto's. Great tiny beach called Baby Makapu not far out of Town. We have taken our kids there since they were babies. They would play in the tide pools and I would snorkle near by and always find sea turtles. If you like world class food go to Alan Wong's. Need to make a reservation now though. Amazing sushi all over. I'm sure it aint bad in AU though.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Back Marker

steve29 is on a distinguished road
I lived on Oahu for 4 years when I was in the Army. Great place. As JPP said, North Shore needs to be seen. Totally different than the rest of the island. Be sure to check out Halewia, Pipleine, Sunset Beach, and Turtle Bay (among my favs). As far as bike shops, there are plenty. There is a stretch of Nimitz Highway that has a Honda shop and a few more if memory serves me correctly. The riding out there is world class. I used to love early morning cruises around the island. Have fun.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Squid

Thanks for that guys. i'll make sure we check out the villages that are around.