General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Who's done the ironbutt?

Old 03-09-2009, 04:57 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Who's done the ironbutt?

I'm wanting to do this with a few others, maybe as soon as next month. I've heard most of the tips from other bike owners, but am interested in anything specific to the Superhawk that may help. 1000 miles in 24 hours looks easy on some of these touring bikes. They call the hawk a sport-tourer, but I don't believe it.

Right now I have a throttlemeister and helibars.

The stock seat isn't great on my bony butt. I'd prefer something softer but that will still allow for hanging off, and be durable. Some say the Corbin is too hard. What do you recommend?

I lean on the tank a lot to stay out of the wind. This is great but I could use some padding on my ribcage or the tank. Any suggestions? The tank wrap doesn't help any. I was thinking of sewing some pads along both sides of the zipper inside my jacket. I've never tried a tankbag, but the ones I've seen don't seem to do much for that area where my chest hits, and they'd pick my helmet up too high. Maybe I need a double bubble windscreen?

When I'm tucked I also like to put my feet on the rear pegs, either resting the top of my foot, or hooking my heels on there. But this won't work if I'm taking saddlebags with me. I've seen the "highway pegs" or whatever they're called, but I haven't a clue where they'd fit on the superhawk. These will be a necessity if I have saddlebags. My calves were pretty sore after the last run.

Any other advise for resting the hands? I've tried everything, and while it helps the hands, it ends up making me sore somewhere else. It becomes a matter of balancing out the soreness.

Mentally I think I'm ready. I find plenty of ways to keep my mind busy, and have a helmet radio and finally some earplugs that fit. Last weekend I did 850 miles in 36 hours, and much of it was freakin 60 mph because of some of the slow riders in the group.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:02 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I did 1800 km (about 1100 miles) in 24 hours aboard a Honda Varadero. My best with the VTR was 1250 km (about 750 miles) in 16 hours. My best advice is to be real selective about your choice of helmet (make usre it's comfortable or it will rapidly turn into the equivalent of the Chinese water torture) and underwear/pants. I wore biker shorts (with gel packs, good choice) and jeans (bad choice). If you go to the Iron Butt Association (?) website there is a lot of useful info to help you prepare. Best of luck
Old 03-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Back Marker

aka Yamadog is on a distinguished road
1000 miles is more challenging than you think. The Super Hawk doesn't have the range needed to minimize the stops. The hardest part for me is that the super slab is too boring (I'd rather be at the dentist) and secondary and tertiary roads are too slow. I've done two 1000 mile days and the last 200 miles sucked both times. The first time I tried it, I had 160 miles to go and 2 hours to do it and I decided to get some beer instead.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:57 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Thinking about doing this one in May, May 15-16REDWING 19Chantilly, VA
Old 03-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Back Marker

HawkFanatic is on a distinguished road
Gosh the most I can stand on my Hawk is around 200 miles a day, which may sound weak, but I am 6'4" and weigh 260lbs - I think I put more stress on my hands and wrists than most.

I did, however, do about 900 miles on my old 93 VFR, and it was definintely my butt that got sore that time.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
SQUEEZE THE TANK WITH YOUR KNEES! I can't stress this enough. The only thing that is sore when I finish riding is my groin.
http://www.techspec-usa.com/
http://www.1tail.com/sa/c/Stomp_Grip...ction_Grip.htm

I just put the techspecs on my VFR and the VFR cut would fit the Superhawk perfectly as well. The Superhawk has a Universal Black Stomp Grip on it, little grippier than the Tech Spec but the Tech Specs are very clean looking.

Until you learn to squeeze the tank and support your torso with your lower body, sportbikes will always feel uncomfortable and out of control. Leave your arms loose and relaxed. Most turns can then be accomplished with your hips controlling the bike once you tip in with the bars.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
I did a ride around Lake Michigan last year. 1000 miles in 36 hours, of which we did 665 on the second day. I had some swamp *** going, but I wasn't too sore the next day. I was definately glad the day was over when I pulled into the driveway. When we were on the south side of of Michigan, going into Indiana, traffic was all backed up for miles. We were stop and go. We decided to curb it along at a slow pace (but at least we were moving. If we had stayed in traffic, it would have taken me another 3 to 4 hours. Couldn't really use my throttle meister, as I didn't have it adjusted properly. One weird thing I had happen afterwards, was my left wrist/forearm was weak and sore after the trip. I thought this was unusual, as it wasn't my throttle hand. I was resting it more than my throttle hand obviously. It hurt and was weaker for about two weeks. Not bad, I'd do it again......
Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 PM
SuperSport

The plan is to have two groups, some of us would go ahead of the pack to attempt the iron butt, anyone who gives out could fall back and wait for the others.

I have a feeling at about the 700 mile mark I may start to wonder what the fug is the point of this?

I'm sending my valentine1 in for an upgrade, I would plan on doing a good chunk of the ride at 90-100 mph. My g/f isn't a fan of this, but I'll probably try and talk her out of it, as she will slow the rest of us down. I can do 160-175 easily on a tank, so range won't be a concern. After that many miles I need to stretch anyways.

I'd like to stop 2/3 of the way through and sneak in 6 hours of rest at a motel and a shower. getting back on the saddle would be tough, but that's why the 2nd leg would be shorter. And either way the "ahh **** it" factor kicks in towards the end and keeps you moving despite feeling like a quadrapelegic.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:36 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes

I just put the techspecs on my VFR and the VFR cut would fit the Superhawk perfectly as well. The Superhawk has a Universal Black Stomp Grip on it, little grippier than the Tech Spec but the Tech Specs are very clean looking.
Thanks for the link. I do try and grip the tank with my knees in the canyons, but the tank wrap just makes it slipperier if anything. I need to get rid of it (what is its purpose anyways?)

A friend of mine has something that looks like the stompgrip, but yeah, it looks tacky. We all know looks are more important than safety or functionality.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:04 PM
hardened stihl
Back Marker

vermontzx6r is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
The plan is to have two groups, some of us would go ahead of the pack to attempt the iron butt, anyone who gives out could fall back and wait for the others.

I have a feeling at about the 700 mile mark I may start to wonder what the fug is the point of this?

I'm sending my valentine1 in for an upgrade, I would plan on doing a good chunk of the ride at 90-100 mph. My g/f isn't a fan of this, but I'll probably try and talk her out of it, as she will slow the rest of us down. I can do 160-175 easily on a tank, so range won't be a concern. After that many miles I need to stretch anyways.

I'd like to stop 2/3 of the way through and sneak in 6 hours of rest at a motel and a shower. getting back on the saddle would be tough, but that's why the 2nd leg would be shorter. And either way the "ahh **** it" factor kicks in towards the end and keeps you moving despite feeling like a quadrapelegic.

150+ on a superhawk tank?? Are you riding in a vacuum?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:25 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I can do 160-175 easily on a tank, so range won't be a concern.

I can get that many highway miles out of a tank full no problem, but don't think you'll get anything close to it at 90-100mph.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:27 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
Good luck man. My Dad does these trips all the time. The farthest was from Florida to Prudhoe Bay Alaska. I think the biggest thing he says is keeping your mind active. He has done the Coast-coast-coast in under 100 hrs and stopping to sleep and take a shower made all the difference. He loves these rides so have a great time and enjoy the ride and not just meeting the deadline.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:20 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by RK1
I can get that many highway miles out of a tank full no problem, but don't think you'll get anything close to it at 90-100mph.
Nope, but neither will the other riders. I don't have any issues with range on the superhawk. On all the group rides I've been on, I've always stopped because someone else had to first.

I have come up with a few mind games I've tried to keep alert. Naming the make and model of all the cars... counting imports vs. domestics... making phrases out of the 3 letter anagrams on the license plates... geez it gets desperate out there on the lonely highway.

After 800 miles last weekend a tundra tried to run me over, but I saw him coming before he did.