General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What type coolant do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:12 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
I knew it would work. Did you notice anymore snap in the power?

As an aside, who is overheating? I am in wisconsin and have not had a temperature issue ever. Not even in Chicago, when the fan comes on it quickly goes off. I am still not sure overheating is an issue.
Bill,

As another aside, I was up near your neck of then woods yesterday. A lot of dead bugs & in traffic my fan was coming on but know cooling issues. Shifting yes into 6th gear I think due to worn OE "heim" joints (my next project).

Anyhow, we should get together for a ride before the seasons over. I know SE WI pretty well too.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Über Member
Superstock

justinity is on a distinguished road
Ok I most likely will get prestone, but if I feel like paying more for the Honda stuff I'll get it. Mixed 50/50.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:43 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
Bill,

As another aside, I was up near your neck of then woods yesterday. A lot of dead bugs & in traffic my fan was coming on but know cooling issues. Shifting yes into 6th gear I think due to worn OE "heim" joints (my next project).

Anyhow, we should get together for a ride before the seasons over. I know SE WI pretty well too.
Yeah, weather has been pretty awesome. Maybe this week or weekend? Lets get it together.
:threadjacked:
Old 10-11-2010, 07:11 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
I knew it would work. Did you notice anymore snap in the power?
Yup, worked out quite well. The additional power is quite noticeable BUT remember I added Dr Honda's intakes, the BMC street filter, and the +4 advancer all at the time. Additional benefit is mileage too - have not gotten worse than 40mpg and see 44 pretty regularly. Going 145 miles before the yellow light is nice. Basically up 8 - 10%.
I did not add the temp controler I mentioned above, not really sure I would see $200 worth of benefit.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:34 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
darn you. I am getting a stock filter and giving up the K&N. as well as restricting the exhaust for some more back pressure. I just am struggling with MPG right now.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:14 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Could not ever get my K&N to work well so sold it last year. Picked up the BMC when I got the intakes on the off chance it might work and got lucky. Good luck going back to the OEM, betcha that will help
Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I use evanscooling waterless stuff. (http://www.evanscooling.com/)I searched hugely for the best coolant at any price and this is what I came to. It is supposed to last the life of the bike & you can take a sample of it at any time & send it to them to test. My bike with it runs a bit cooler than the one w/o it but it also has a ZX-7 oil cooler up front. These bikes run way too hot for my taste but thats what you get with no front rad. I have run this stuff for 6+ yrs w/o any issues year round.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:36 PM
SuperBike

minor thread hijack

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I use evanscooling waterless stuff. (http://www.evanscooling.com/)I searched hugely for the best coolant at any price and this is what I came to. It is supposed to last the life of the bike & you can take a sample of it at any time & send it to them to test. My bike with it runs a bit cooler than the one w/o it but it also has a ZX-7 oil cooler up front. These bikes run way too hot for my taste but thats what you get with no front rad. I have run this stuff for 6+ yrs w/o any issues year round.
what year ZX-7 oil cooler & can you describe install & post pics?
thx
Old 10-12-2010, 07:02 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I think they are all the same back then. I just took it to an oil line shop to have the fittings converted. I can take pics eventually. I would guess it would be easier to find a honda model that has a bigger cooler & use that, maybe a blackbird.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Back Marker

Karbon is on a distinguished road
Water Wetter with distilled water since the trackday 1 1/2 months ago.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:01 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Karbon
Water Wetter with distilled water since the trackday 1 1/2 months ago.
at least always distilled H20 but actually deionized is better