General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

what a pain in the...wrist

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Squid

soopahok996 is on a distinguished road
what a pain in the...wrist

any ideas on this one? what can i do to ease the ache in my wrists while riding - grips? gloves? clip-ons? gel pads surgically implanted in the heels of my hands? i'm hoping i can find an answer so that my riding range is dictated by my gas tank and not the far end of my arms. thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
How about "don't support your upper body with your arms" ... for starters. If your 'reach to the clipons' stretches you out to the point where you can't use your back to hold up much of your weight then yes, look into a clipon mod to make it work.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:39 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
VFR clip-ons or Heli bars, there's also a bar mod with instruction from superbling, try to sit up straight. How tall are you?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Squid

ryan is on a distinguished road
had the same prob, heli bars cured me!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Squid

Chilly996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
VFR clip-ons or Heli bars, there's also a bar mod with instruction from superbling, try to sit up straight. How tall are you?
Sounds like he's around 5'7" like me. I try to make sure I sit up straighter. It might help if I lost abit from the midsection. I'd like get my hands on VFR bars though.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:01 PM
MotoGP

I laugh because that's how tall,(and thick), I am too! I sit right up againts the tank and sit as straight up as possible with the stock windscreen the wind helps too.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:22 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Push down with the ***** of your feet on the footpegs. Flexing your abs helps to take the weight off of your wrists, too.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I just recently sent out my Held gloves for warranty work and am using my backup pair of Alpinestars SP2 gloves. These are pretty cheap gloves and are a lot thinner and have less "feel" than the Helds. I have also noticed that my hands fall asleep a lot easier with these gloves. With that said, it's my conclusion that gloves really do make a difference.

And as said before, don't grip the bars so tightly. Do the "chicken check" if you feel your hands falling asleep. That mean to flap your elbows like a chicken and loosen your grip.

The Superhawk does have kind of a wierd bar angle though compared to both my CBR1000RR and 600RR. My hands never fall asleep on either bike and their bars are lower. I think it has a lot to do with that. Grinding locating tabs and rotating the bars outward so they just barely clear the fairing at full lock could be another solution.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:27 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
While riding, your elbows should be pointing down at the ground not outwards.

The outwards position allows you to lock your elbows and thus lean forward placing great weight on your wrists. Elbows down and you can't lock them so you stomach/back muscles have to support your upper body. It will take a while to train the muscles.

On longer rides, a throttle lock is a big help.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:23 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
same here, +1 for Heli bars

Originally Posted by ryan
had the same prob, heli bars cured me!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:25 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
I modified the locating pins on the clip ons to make them angle back less. This is a great mod if you have wide shoulders.

Otherwise, do what everyone else has suggested, especially riding on the ***** of your feet.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Back Marker

Jake D is on a distinguished road
The range on the (my) Super Hawk is only 110 miles. It should be comfortable enough to do 110 miles, but it isn't.

It is still 10 times better than the SV. The leg room on the Super Hawk is better and the seat is softer. So I guess I shouldn't complain.

I think my gloves are too tight. I have Icon Purist gloves, size XL. I find myself tugging at the finger tips a lot at stop lights. I think they cut off the circulation to my hands. I'm going to get new ones and see if that helps.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:53 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Another problem I've had. Few gloves fit my Large hands with XL fingers. I've had the best luck with Hein Gerike gloves, good German fingers to match my good German hands.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:23 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
A lot of good tips from others.
My 2 cents: keep the wrists straight & grip the bars lightly. Hold the grips like holding a bird in your hand. Trust me, the bike will keep itself stable if you just relax.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Squid

soopahok996 is on a distinguished road
EXERCISE?!?! isn't there anything easier than that?!? just kidding, i have found myself trying to sit up straighter lately. i have a bit of a bad back from a previously broken hip and dislocated leg (ahhhh, snowboarding) so i find myself getting lazy and leaning on my wrists. i'll try getting on the ***** of my feet and may check into heli bars. is there a problem with fairing clearance with heli bars?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:48 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
If you are not riding on the ***** of your feet, that's absolutely the first change to make.

The side benefit is you'll also enjoy more cornering precision from the change.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:19 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Only clearance issue I have with my Heli bars is that at full turn to the right it touches and flips on the high beam switch - I could probably adjust it to not do that but it doesn't bother me that much.

Originally Posted by soopahok996
EXERCISE?!?! isn't there anything easier than that?!? just kidding, i have found myself trying to sit up straighter lately. i have a bit of a bad back from a previously broken hip and dislocated leg (ahhhh, snowboarding) so i find myself getting lazy and leaning on my wrists. i'll try getting on the ***** of my feet and may check into heli bars. is there a problem with fairing clearance with heli bars?
Old 08-03-2006, 05:42 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
How about a strap-on tankbag that you can lean against.

Gel-padded cycling gloves usually help a great deal.

Use your back to support your upper body, instead of your arms.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:31 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
I have Heli bars which work fine but there is a new company convertibars.com which have more adjustabilty.

good luck
Old 08-03-2006, 06:40 AM
MotoGP

And a larger price tag. If it were me I'd go with the VFR bars, (because I'm cheap), but I bought Heli-bars because of my USD conversion and noticed less buzz. Anyone else notice that?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Minimal Post
Back Marker

Josh is an unknown quantity at this point
Call me lame, but I use the cramp buster deal. My throttle hand used to go to sleep within about 15 mins. Do a search on ebay for "cramp buster" under ebay motors. It's that curved lever thing that hooks around your throttle. a little ugly, but a long distance (or short in my case) hand discomfort saver. It can get in the way sometimes though.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:05 PM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Oh yeah.. I totally forgot about the "Throttle Rocker", http://www.throttlerocker.com/ I have been using them ever since my first bike, it's been on all my bikes I forget they're even on anymore.

Here is a picture to demo how to get wrist relief from a tankbag, heck I even rest my my helmet on my tankbag:

http://vfrworld.com/photos/showphoto...22/limit/views
Old 08-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road
get a gold wing?
Old 08-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
A better solution might be just making a small change in your riding form.

This is one example of griping the clipons in a way to minimize upper body weight on your wrists...

Old 08-03-2006, 05:24 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
You can riase the stock bars about 3/8" by removing the spring clip.
This will also allow you to change the angle of the bars because it raises the tabs above their slots in the triple tree.
Just make sure you tighten the bars bolts to their recommended torque & they won't move on you.
'Oury Road Grips' are a good cheap grip that helps dampen the bar buzz....made from sugical rubber...been used by motocross riders for years...$8-$9 a set....most shops can order them but do not stock them....dunno why they are GREAT ! Provides a soft but firm grip. I've also used them on my mountain bike for years
My 2 cents
Old 08-10-2006, 05:47 PM
Squid

sparky is on a distinguished road
superbike bars!!!

There is a post on here somewhere that links you to all the parts required to install superbike(read motocross)style bars with moose racing universal clamps.It is relatively cheap and makes an incredible difference.I have done this myself,and aside from not having the racy look of clip ons it was a must have mod for me!
Old 08-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Back Marker

RonVTR
It took this combination of things to make the wrist tingles go away for me:
1. Heli Bars
2. Pro Grip Superbike grips
3. Line up the brake lever with my arm (I rest two fingers on the brake most of the time)
4. Olympia (Gel in the palm) Gloves
5. Throttle Rocker for the longer trips
Old 08-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Squid

RedHotFireStorm is on a distinguished road
Superbling mentioned a throttle lock...
I used mine all the time on my CB900.
Can you steer me in the right direction to purchase one for my VTR ?

Thanks
Old 08-15-2006, 05:05 AM
Superstock

mikecronis
Another suggestion is to buy gel gloves. Olympia makes quite a few and I found it makes a world of difference.

Also, like above, consider not resting completely on your hands with all your upper-body. Try supporting your upper torso with your lower back in a reverse sit-up-type position. As stated above, consider using your legs to pull your lower torso off your wrists (sounds weird, I know).

Over time, your wrists will grow stronger and you won't have this difficulty any longer. It's normal to have some lower pack and wrist discomfort the first few weeks of riding after a lapse.