General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

This week I learned...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 05:18 AM
Back Marker

midijunky is on a distinguished road
This week I learned...

that after 5 years of using Honda oil, switching to Rotella brings out a lot of crap that has built up.

I changed my oil last month or so with Rotella. 1,500 or so miles later, I start hearing my valves chattering and raising all kinds of hell, and my shifting gets fubar. Surely it can't be my oil broken down already... I bend down and look through the sight glass and oh my god it's black!

no particulates in it thankfully. Changed the oil again, hoping it got most of the crap out. She sounds a lot better, and shifts a lot smoother lol

Just thought I'd share that story.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:51 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
I stopped using the 5-40 Rotella synthetic a couple of years ago. I felt that it didn't retain viscosity as well as Mobil 1 5-40 synthetic. Shifting deteriorated much sooner with the Rotella and I've never drained any oil that flowed like water when hot. I'm done with the 5-40 Rotella experiment.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:14 AM
Back Marker

Ah, I'm using white jug 15-50. If nothing else, it's doing a good job cleaning out the sludge and crap from the honda oil. I'll probably switch to royal purple in an oil change or two.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:17 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
We had a guy on the VFR forum who independently tested oils at a research facility who has now shut him up and banned him from the internet.

His bottom line: Mobil 1 synthetic brand with their expensive Vtwin formula as the best of their stuff.

Second reference: I personally knew a indycar team sponsored by an oil company who quietly at night replace the oil in the sponsors' bottles with mobil 1!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Back Marker

rofl that's funny stuff.

I think my days are numbered owning the superhawk tho. there's an 03' TL1000R that dad's boss owns and wants me to buy... very sexy bike.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:37 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Don't sell the Hawk before you get the TL.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Back Marker

kevink2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by altosuperhawk
I stopped using the 5-40 Rotella synthetic a couple of years ago. I felt that it didn't retain viscosity as well as Mobil 1 5-40 synthetic. Shifting deteriorated much sooner with the Rotella and I've never drained any oil that flowed like water when hot. I'm done with the 5-40 Rotella experiment.
Interesting info, I've used Rotella 5W-40 synthetic a bit now, and am thinking the exact same thing- not much mileage before another oil change is necessary. I originally heard about it through guys who do mostly trackdays, and change their oil after every day, so in that case it's probably not a bad idea. Rotella may not be the best thing for long term street use and the usual, occasional oil change schedule.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Glad I read this, I needs to change my oil...Mobil 1....only
Old 08-29-2007, 09:34 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
After dropping the Honda 10w40 factory fill, my next two changes were Rotella syn 5w40 and M1 T/Suv 5w40.

With all of the above I had the annoying 1st to 2nd gear clunk/thunk and occasional clickity-click of gear teeth pinwheeling over gear teeth before mating up.

I tried the Castrol 4T 20w50 available at Walmart for under $3/liter and now that 1-2 shift just goes snickity snick insted of clunkity-thunk. I don't yet know if it is the Castrol itself or my trans just prefers 20w50, but it made a big difference.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Back Marker

I've heard that a certain racer's crew sneaks into their oil bottles and swaps their sponsor's oil with Mobil 1.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Squid

Chuey is on a distinguished road
Agreed. I stick Amsoil into my car, but for the bike I feel good with Mobil 1.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Oh for the love of ***! Another oil thread! I think I'll go stab myself in the eye with my Dremel tool on high!

Mobil 1 15W-50

I should close this thread......................
Old 08-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

That would be abuse of power!! LOL...Well it is in Fact the American Way!! lol
Old 08-30-2007, 06:58 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
So Greg, I may have missed it. Which type of oil do you recommend?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:00 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Oh for the love of ***! Another oil thread! I think I'll go stab myself in the eye with my Dremel tool on high!

Mobil 1 15W-50

Now now Greg it's only the 2nd no wait 4th no that's not right oh yeah now I remeber it's the time we've had an oil thread on here!! BTW Greg what kind of tire is best for the Super Hawk? I'm thinking of running a 300/50/17.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:48 PM
RK1
MotoGP

I kinda hate to bring this up but, there are two different Mobil1 15w50s.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:42 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
I've also noticed that WalMart is carrying two different price point Mobil 1 Synthetic oils. One 5 quart jug goes for about 20 bucks and the other 5 quart jug sells for about 27-28 bucks. I haven't visited "bobistheoilguy.com" lately to find out the differences in spec or performance though.

Last edited by altosuperhawk; 09-08-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:48 PM
RK1
MotoGP

altosuperhawk;

Yeah. The more expensive M1 15w50 is the "extended performance".

The cheaper one is the "reintroduced" replacement for the old "red cap".

For those interested, the newer/cheaper 15w50 is listed on the Mobil 1 website as Energy Conserving.

It doesn't say so no the "donut" on the container, but on the website product data sheet it is listed as "EC" under the api classifications.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:46 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider

Keep the font down! My eyes almost popped on that one. It's like pesticides, when you use them you aim to only control the situation. You, as our esteemed admin get to decide how many times a year you're going to tolerate this. There must be twenty gigs in the archives on this

Old 08-31-2007, 04:29 PM
RK1
MotoGP

It is true there is a lot of archived stuff on oil, but it is hard to find and wade through what pops up 'cause the search engine doesn't work for three letter words like "oil".

Also a lot of that info is older and doesn't mention the changes in formulation needed to meet the new CJ-4 standard for diesel and SM standard for car oil.

A lot of oils that used to be perfectly cool to use in bikes probably aren't a good idea any more.

I don't get why some guys get all upset about another oil thread when, like any other thread that doesn't interest them, they could simply ignore it.

Did old oil threads get ugly, nasty and personal or something?
Old 09-02-2007, 06:52 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil no, just redundent but exhaust threads hmmmm thats another story.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RK1
I kinda hate to bring this up but, there are two different Mobil1 15w50s.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
My .02......topic may be the same but new, better info. may come out or peoples views might change. Could be the SOS.....
Old 09-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
i run mobil 0w40 synth in my hawk. seems to work great.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Guys, for one, if you don't know me, I'll tell ya'll a little secret about myself: Very rarely do I actually get angry. I was just playfully beating my head against the wall. Oil threads are common no matter which auto or motorcycle forum you're on. It IS a shame that we can't search "oil" but that's the way the indexing feature is set up and there are way too many three letter words to index and not bog down the server.

Yes, there are two formulations of M1 15-w50 now. One is the newer "extended performance" oil and the other is the original formula with SuperSyn. Personally I'd rather not spend the extra cash on the EP stuff since I change my oil every 3000 miles anyway. It's already expensive enough, but the quality of Mobil 1 is worth it to me to buy the "normal" version of the oil. I've read the tests on the M1 15-w50 and it outperforms even M1 lighter viscosities by a large margin. It also is NOT energy conserving. I don't care what the stupid website says. I challenge you to find ANY oil out there over X-40W that is energy conserving. You just won't find it.

Plain bearings on the connecting rods, crankshaft, and camshafts ride on a wedge of pressurized oil. This oil wedge provides protection between the metal surfaces of the motor.

The thinner oils have additive packages that make oils more "slippery" while allowing the oil to be thinner (lower viscosity). This is why they have 0w-20 oils now. They have a very low viscosity but can still protect because of those additives. The disadvantage of those slippery additive packages is that they don't play well with wet clutches, and have a tendency to allow them to slip.

Higher viscosity oils like 15-W50 don't require the same slippery additives because the high viscosity alone protects the moving parts. That oil wedge isn't pushed out of the way as easily as a thinner oil. They also work better with gearsets, like the transmissions in our bikes. The disadvantage of thicker oil is that it takes longer to pump cold thick oil through the engine on startup. Personally, I don't ride my bike if it's less than 50°F outside, so I never have to worry about that aspect.

Again, I've seen the tests and M1 15-w50 blows everyone else out of the water. It's a damned good oil and is relatively easy to find. It's not as cheap as regular Valvoline but it's not as expensive as Amsoil either. And yes, Mobil 1 performs better than Amsoil.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:51 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Hey Greg;

FWIW when I wondered why guys get upset about oil threads I wasn't thinking about you. Your responses to them that I've read always seem good natured, maybe slightly exasperated, but not angry at all.

I wasn't intending to knock M1 15w50 either, I think M1 15w50 probably gives better protection for bike engines than anything you can buy for under eight bucks a quart.

I just wanted to talk about it and point some things out. I think the EP is a waste of money and also has less zinc and phos than the old red cap.

I think you are right about the "regular" 15w50 not being energy conserving. I've never heard of a w50 being EC. I just think it weird that the only M1 over 30 wt. to be labeled "EC" on the website is the 15w50.

I don't believe for a minute that the Castrol 4t 20w50 gives better protection than M1 15w50, or will stay good for as long a drain interval.

My main purpose in posting to the thread was to say that after trying numerous oils, I'd finally found one that smoothed out my first to second shift and see what anybody else's thoughts/experience was.

I think that important because besides being annoying, if I had to clunk/thunk the trans into second often enough, eventually it won't want to stay there.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:43 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
+M1 SuperSyn 15W-50

[QUOTE=Hawkrider;128958]
The disadvantage of thicker oil is that it takes longer to pump cold thick oil through the engine on startup. Personally, I don't ride my bike if it's less than 50°F outside, so I never have to worry about that aspect.QUOTE]

I'm with Greg here all the way (as usual as I'm a B-noser). I've use the "old" M! 15W-50 for many moons. When I sold my "Baby Hawk" (NT650), it had over 70,000 miles and still had less than 5% leakage as checked by my trusty Milton vacuum leak down tester. I stocked up on the "old" M! 15W-50 years ago and still have at least a case left. I usually change the oil and filter (Purolator "Pure One" PL14612 with Chin Fairing trimmed due to its slightly longer length) every 3~5K miles; taking advantage of the extended "range" a sythentic offers) However, whereas I live near Chicago, I do ride in temps lower than 50°F. Base on what I've learned about the 0 wt oils, I think I will go to Mobil 1 0W-40, Shell Rotella T Syn 5W-40 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 for the winter. I also use Shell Rotella-T Syn 0W-30 in my 3 newer Mazdas. Below are some interesting links...

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ne_Engine.aspx

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 and Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 are the same product branded differently for different markets.

http://www.240sx.org/faq/articles/oil.htm

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...ellasynth.html

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...cycle_Oil.aspx

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...0_or_5W20.aspx

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo..._Clutches.aspx

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...or_15W-40.aspx

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...ycle_Oils.aspx

Last edited by skokievtr; 09-07-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:09 PM
RK1
MotoGP

I don't see that I or anyone else has said M1 15w50 was anything BUT a great oil.

I've been using it in my Interceptor for years and still have 10 qts. of red cap from the stash I put up three years ago.

For what ever reason, my VTR trans and clutch seem not to agree with it as much. Just one man's experience with one individual bike.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Back Marker

Hey Hey now guys no need to get upset (Greg! kidding by the way), I wasn't asking what oil would be the best lol... just sharing a funny story about why Honda oil is probably the worst thing you could put in your bike.

actually i'm running royal purple 15-50 in it right now. keeping the clutch noise down a bit more than the rotella actually, which is great imho, it was kinda loud before. I'm going to switch to Mobil 1 next oil change.

Last edited by midijunky; 09-08-2007 at 01:09 PM.