General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What I Learned from Recent Breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:22 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
What I Learned from Recent Breakdown

Just some info to help U out in case your VTR decides to leave U stranded. I was in a somewhat secluded spot during breakdown, though there was plenty of vehicle traffic, if I felt the need to flag someone down. 2 motos stopped to offer assistance.

1. AMA Membership! If U are not aware - Included with AMA membership is towing (Free up to 35 miles). But not just for the moto, but all your vehicles and includes family members that live w/ U at No Cost! - In my eyes that blows AAA away as a cost saving measure.
On top of that, U get the monthly mag (its just OK), but they have discounts that U can use too. Plus, their Govt dept, which is always fighting for our rights to ride. IMO - AMA membership should be a no brainer.

2. Make sure your cell is charged, before you go riding. From my recent breakdown, I was coming back from a Philly overnight, I had my power cord, but not my car charger (I have a cig lighter socket on the VTR to charge cell on trips). I was fortunate that my cell was 75% charged when I left Philly.
Phone usage to & from AMA tow service, tow operator & family. Plus a friend kept calling since he was laughing so hard he pissed his pants from photos of my Philly friend from night before - with the ugliest female in the world! (but that's another story).

3. Carry water & maybe a snack. I had one bottle with me, but I needed more.

4. I had to wait 2 hours for tow truck to arrive. I blame the shyte world economy for the last 7 yrs on this. Why? All the moto dealers that were near me all closed their doors. (I'm by Bethlehem, Pa) Its 5 dealers that were within 20 mins of me all closed.

I think thats about all I can pass on, feel free to add info that might help someone...

Last edited by nnjhawk02; 04-14-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:26 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
Just some info to help U out in case your VTR decides to leave U stranded. I was in a somewhat secluded spot during breakdown, though there was plenty of vehicle traffic, if I felt the need to flag someone down. 2 motos stopped to offer assistance.

1. AMA Membership! If U are not aware - Included with AMA membership is towing (Free up to 35 miles). But not just for the moto, but all your vehicles and includes family members that live w/ U at No Cost! - In my eyes that blows AAA away as a cost saving measure.
On top of that, U get the monthly mag (its just OK), but they have discounts that U can use too. Plus, their Govt dept, which is always fighting for our rights to ride. IMO - AMA membership should be a no brainer.

2. Make sure your cell is charged, before you go riding. From my recent breakdown, I was coming back from a Philly overnight, I had my power cord, but not my car charger (I have a cig lighter socket on the VTR to charge cell on trips). I was fortunate that my cell was 75% charged when I left Philly.
Phone usage to & from AMA tow service, tow operator & family. Plus a friend kept calling since he was laughing so hard he pissed his pants from photos of my Philly friend from night before - with the ugliest female in the world! (but that's another story).

3. Carry water & maybe a snack. I had one bottle with me, but I needed more.

4. I had to wait 2 hours for tow truck to arrive. I blame the shyte world economy for the last 7 yrs on this. Why? All the moto dealers that we near me all closed their doors. (I'm by Bethlehem, Pa) Its 5 dealers that were within 20 mins of me all closed.

I think thats about all I can pass on, feel free to add info that might help someone...
Timely and excellent tip re: AMA towing of all vehicles. I was looking in to AAA this week. ThanksA
Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by jerryh
Timely and excellent tip re: AMA towing of all vehicles. I was looking in to AAA this week. ThanksA
GiddyUp

Here to help

Oh another good point, have a back up ride.

Mine is a Honda Ruckus - Only 50cc, but I won it, so can't complain - and its fun to ride.

I rode it to my friends casa yesterday and had a blast, plus over 100mpg!

Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 AM
Squid
Squid

superman22x is on a distinguished road
Check with your insurance company. I pay something like $1/month extra to add towing on my insurance plan for my car. I used it once when I was riding my bike, dropped my keys on the freeway, and when I found my Infiniti key, the chip had been smashed out. So I had to have the car towed to the nearest dealer to make a new key made. I still haven't bought a spare. Hard to justify $300 for a key... Which brings me to my next point:
Make sure your cargo is secured on your bike. I took my keys and wallet out of my pocket and put them in my lunchbox on the way to work that day afraid that they would fall out of my pocket while riding. Turns out, my whole lunch box fell off. So here I am, scrambling around on the side of an on ramp trying to grab my cards and keys. I got everything back for the most part luckily.

I've thought about installing a USB socket on my bike. Would have to gut a 12v connector somehow so that the DC-DC voltage conversion is done. But it would be convenient. Especially if using my phone as a GPS or something along those lines.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Superman, check this out:
Waterproof USB power outlet
There are several different designs. Find one that suits you and your bike. Just check out eBay.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:23 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
nnjhawk, just curious, but what was that platform that your bike was picked up and towed with? I've never seen that before. Did that arm pick up the bike and put it into the bed of the truck?

Also, thanks for the tip with the AMA!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Squid

tomb393 is on a distinguished road
I have a waterproof USB charger on my bike with an in line fuse. It's a must since I use my phone for gps navigation and traffic / weather radar etc on road trips. I mount the phone with a ram mount X grip to the steering stem. It's quick, easy and surprisingly reliable. Many roads are in bad shape after this past winter and I can rumble through the bad terrain without the phone budging at all.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:57 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
nnjhawk, just curious, but what was that platform that your bike was picked up and towed with? I've never seen that before. Did that arm pick up the bike and put it into the bed of the truck?

Also, thanks for the tip with the AMA!
Correct - Guy had a pick up truck and that bed U see extends by hydraulics & then goes back into the bed.

I've never seen one, but man what a perfect set up. Guy had me loaded in like 7 mins.

Hell, I'm thinking of taking up that business. The guy said he works from March to November, than heads to Fla & stays with his sister for the Winter. He rides down there on a Suzuki Burgman 400 - LOL
Old 04-14-2014, 03:27 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Care to share what you spend on the AMA membership?
Old 04-14-2014, 04:37 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Care to share what you spend on the AMA membership?
Really ?

AMA Membership Sign-Up

$49. includes everything with setup for auto renew.

FYI - I was paying more for AAA & that was a basic membership, that only included me. AAA is person specific, thus if U want to add wife & kids - its extra$
Old 04-14-2014, 07:37 PM
SuperSport

Really ?

AMA Membership Sign-Up

$49. includes everything with setup for auto renew.

FYI - I was paying more for AAA & that was a basic membership, that only included me. AAA is person specific, thus if U want to add wife & kids - its extra$
I think AAA wants somewhere around $110 a year for a mid range plan
Old 04-15-2014, 07:46 AM
SuperSport

I think AAA wants somewhere around $110 a year for a mid range plan
Boom - U guys owe me some beer.

Now there's a cost savings!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 AM
SuperSport

Boom - U guys owe me some beer.

Now there's a cost savings!
Get out to TN we'll settle up. I'm not far from the dragon and cheraholla (my road)
Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Just an FYI for people looking into AAA, in my area motorcycles are an extra... i found out the hard way that AAA wouldnt tow my bike on my standard auto plan. Luckily my insurance did...
Old 04-15-2014, 08:54 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by scottiemann
Just an FYI for people looking into AAA, in my area motorcycles are an extra... i found out the hard way that AAA wouldnt tow my bike on my standard auto plan. Luckily my insurance did...

Also - I don't think I want a car towing service to come get my moto. It happened to me years back - I had some moto towing insurance (from what company I don't remember) But I had a flat & they sent a flatbed - Took forever to get towed 10 miles, since he kept having to stop to adjust straps so VTR wouldn't fall over.

Not sure if AMA towing service sends this type every time but its perfect for moto's

Old 04-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Squid

konigralph is on a distinguished road
Sounds like AMA membership is well worth it. especially since the towing comes in clutch. However, my credit card ( american express ) and insurance agency also offers the towing... I guess some of these towing companies are in such need of good busienss they'll do contracts for the cheap.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
Towing

The last time I had to have a bike towed we were in the Missouri Ozarks running the twisties, I was on my GL1800 Goldwing and I hit a versa lock concrete block doing about 60 out in bum fu@k Egypt and blew out the front Metzler.

After 2 hours a towing company Progressive sent out for towing bikes arrived running a flat bed tilt off for cars and trucks,,,.

The last thing I remember as the driver was cranking down the straps on the front of the GL was this "my boss made this rig just for towing Harleys" (there is a joke in there somewhere!) and all I heard was snap!

The Goldwings front fender caught on the POS Harley tow rig and while the tow truck driver cranked down on the ratchet straps he snapped off half of my front fender!

I could not believe it, I freaked and came real close to breaking his nose!

He was real apologetic and was freaking out himself!

At the time I was around 150 miles from home and it was going on 9pm Sunday evening, the plan was for the guys in our group that day would run on home pick up a truck and trailer and meet me at the Honda Dealer in St. Louis this is where the tow driver said that was the farthest he could go and the guys would tow me home, otherwise it would have been an very expensive towing bill.

After the tow truck driver damaged my bike he was more than happy to take me to my garage with out question.

At home the tow drive slid the truck bed right inside my garage and he un strapped it then rolled it off the platform, he handed me 1/2 of a Canary Yellow fender and a damage report form to be completed and mailed back to his boss.

He took a few pictures for the claim form and I thanked him for the ride home and handed back the claim form and a $40.00 tip, he looked real puzzled ?

I then opened a cabinet and showed him a new Canary Yellow Goldwing fender I picked up on E-bay for $50 bucks a few weeks earlier to replace my fender which had a few deep scratches on it that I never got around to replacing, he thanked me and went on his way and I saved a few hundred bucks on a towing bill!

The moral of the story is if a tow truck driver damages your bike during a tow he is responsible for any damages or at least a free ride home!

SIRR!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:36 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by SIRR1
The last time I had to have a bike towed we were in the Missouri Ozarks running the twisties, I was on my GL1800 Goldwing and I hit a versa lock concrete block doing about 60 out in bum fu@k Egypt and blew out the front Metzler.

After 2 hours a towing company Progressive sent out for towing bikes arrived running a flat bed tilt off for cars and trucks,,,.

The last thing I remember as the driver was cranking down the straps on the front of the GL was this "my boss made this rig just for towing Harleys" (there is a joke in there somewhere!) and all I heard was snap!

The Goldwings front fender caught on the POS Harley tow rig and while the tow truck driver cranked down on the ratchet straps he snapped off half of my front fender!

I could not believe it, I freaked and came real close to breaking his nose!

He was real apologetic and was freaking out himself!

At the time I was around 150 miles from home and it was going on 9pm Sunday evening, the plan was for the guys in our group that day would run on home pick up a truck and trailer and meet me at the Honda Dealer in St. Louis this is where the tow driver said that was the farthest he could go and the guys would tow me home, otherwise it would have been an very expensive towing bill.

After the tow truck driver damaged my bike he was more than happy to take me to my garage with out question.

At home the tow drive slid the truck bed right inside my garage and he un strapped it then rolled it off the platform, he handed me 1/2 of a Canary Yellow fender and a damage report form to be completed and mailed back to his boss.

He took a few pictures for the claim form and I thanked him for the ride home and handed back the claim form and a $40.00 tip, he looked real puzzled ?

I then opened a cabinet and showed him a new Canary Yellow Goldwing fender I picked up on E-bay for $50 bucks a few weeks earlier to replace my fender which had a few deep scratches on it that I never got around to replacing, he thanked me and went on his way and I saved a few hundred bucks on a towing bill!

The moral of the story is if a tow truck driver damages your bike during a tow he is responsible for any damages or at least a free ride home!

SIRR!
Funny how things have a way of working out
Old 05-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
Get out to TN we'll settle up. I'm not far from the dragon and cheraholla (my road)
When are we going to ride your road? Front swap will be done this weekend and I will get the sag set and be ready soon. We went 3 weeks ago and they had a big compliance check just inside Tn, coming back from Deals.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:25 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by bmidd
When are we going to ride your road? Front swap will be done this weekend and I will get the sag set and be ready soon. We went 3 weeks ago and they had a big compliance check just inside Tn, coming back from Deals.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:28 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by bmidd
I'm game pretty much anytime. Too many weenies on the dragon attracting attention. Only time I've seen leo on cherahalla is when there's an accident. Very rare
Old 05-02-2014, 06:06 AM
SuperSport

I'm game pretty much anytime. Too many weenies on the dragon attracting attention. Only time I've seen leo on cherahalla is when there's an accident. Very rare
I rode the Dragon - woof about 12 yrs ago & in November on a rented HD - hardly anyone was on it.

But from what I gather during warmer weather its loaded with all types of dino burning vehicles - Thus would most likely stay away from it. Forget the large LEO presence, I would be more concerned with a squid blowing a corner & hitting me head on!

Better roads to be found in the area with less traffic.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:47 PM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
Skyway is empty. Been riding it for years and this was the first LEO I've seen, was at least 10 and all were Park Rangers and TVA police.