General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Rear axle bolt movement.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Squid

vtrlvr is on a distinguished road
Rear axle bolt movement.

Hey guys i just put on a new set of pilot powers. Man these tires are ridiculous. With a half a mile on them and with the roads wet i yanked on the throttle ate 3k rpm wanting to see how slippery they were. The bike sat right up. I was amazed. Anywho when i was putting the back tire on i noticed that when i put the axle bolt all the way through and screwed on the nut, (not tight)that i can grab the rim and move the right side at lease a 3/8 of an inch from front to back. My tabs for my chain adjustment are both the same. It just kind of worries me that i can move the rim and the axle bolt and the right side moves that much. It tells me that if i tighten it all down that i could be crabing the back tire and get bad mileage on the tire. Picken up what im puttin down people?
Old 09-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
Does it move when the axle is tight? If it's solid with it tight, I would not worry.

How are the wheel bearings? They wear out and can cause movement.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Squid

vtrlvr is on a distinguished road
No it doesnt move when it is tight. But do you see what im sayin when it seems i can tighten it down when the right is either front or pulled back. Which one is best? Also the biki is 2004 with only 6000 miles on it.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:18 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Align the marks on the swingarm/rear axle adjusters, push the wheel all the way forward against the adjusters, then tighten. There is some play in the adjuster bolt by design. There are alignment tools and other methods that you can use if you're really picky about it. Just Google up "motorcycle wheel alignment" and you'll come up with tons of ****.