General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

To track the Hawk or buy a Trackday bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
To track the Hawk or buy a Trackday bike?

If I was going to track the hawk I would want to make it a sick A** one, but would I spend more money attempting that than say, buying a downed or a pre-trackday made SV1000 or RC? I have not ridden either of those bikes but for those of you who have tracked a few bikes, what would you do?
My VTR is in need of a fork revalve and an F4i Shock from JD since they have not been messed with since 04 when the bike rolled off the line so I will be putting $900 into the suspesion when ever I get back to it.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:08 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
In my opinion if you want to do alot of track days get and RC51, if twice a year the VTR is fine unless you are a seriously good rider. Most people think they are great but the lap times disagree.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
In my opinion if you want to do alot of track days get and RC51, if twice a year the VTR is fine unless you are a seriously good rider. Most people think they are great but the lap times disagree.
I have not done a track day in over 6 years and those were done on a 2004 CBR600RR. I want to get back into it and Pacific Raceway is only 4 hours away. Do the RC's have any drivetrain issues that I would have to worry about? What would a "High mileage" bike be?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:26 AM
SuperBike

Can't speak to the mileage issue, I suppose that would be tied to how well maintained the RC was and what it's main function was street or track.

The main advantages are a stiffer frame, better swingarm, USD forks, higher compression/HP and fuel injection oh and bigger brakes.

Other than that they are identical to a SH....lol
Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Superstock

Oh, JUST that little difference Hu? HA! Well I am thinking that all the ones I am finding are 4750-6500 and they all have 16K or more. I think Ill just upgrade the hawk piece at a time. It hard because I dont want to abuse the Shawk but I want to go fast and have fun at the same time. Thanks for your help HRC#1
Old 10-21-2012, 09:01 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Squid
Oh, JUST that little difference Hu? HA! Well I am thinking that all the ones I am finding are 4750-6500 and they all have 16K or more. I think Ill just upgrade the hawk piece at a time. It hard because I dont want to abuse the Shawk but I want to go fast and have fun at the same time. Thanks for your help HRC#1
You will still be better off with an RC51 or any number of other bikes as a racetrack bike (even a 2004 600RR) than you will with a Super Hawk.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:07 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Ummmm, how about racing a ninja 250 or cbr250. You can play super hero and you wont have to pony up tons of cash. The racing is super competitive...
Old 10-21-2012, 09:09 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
My opinion, if you don't have funds upfront for a second bike I'd use the SH...

Just make sure the brakes and suspension are up to par, have good tires and don't push your limits too far or you'll end up with no bike.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
I was in your shoes, and bought a track bike...I regret it; the SuperHawk, once you put a shock on it and do some fork work, is one of the most fun bikes you will ever ride at the track...and it's pretty forgiving too which is a good thing. Get some Q2s or similar sticky rubber so that you can enjoy it with confidence.

Don't spend too much money on it either, you will never turn it into something it isn't...and you don't need to, very close to stock it is just fine for track days.

Get some brake pads that are up to the job (like EBC HHs for example), and make sure you bleed the brakes and clutch and do all the other maintenance before hitting the track.

One of the most fun track days I ever did was chasing my friend on his 675 around the Streets of Willow on my SH
Old 10-22-2012, 12:30 AM
Superstock

Bare minimum I have in mind for the bike is Fresh forks rebuild, New Shock, 2CTs since mine are a year old as of now, a new set of bodywork, and a GREAT set of frame, for, swingarm, and engine sliders, Pads and F4i Calipers and SS brake lines.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:28 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
My 2 cents would be buy a track bike. I think the 250s would be too big a drop from a hawk but a trackable SV650 is just as light with vtwin power & can be had for $1700. I have been racing and instructing for 13yrs and a light bike in expert hands can confound larger bikes.

When I instruct ducati days you always get some really angry 1198 riders that just cant fathom why they cant keep the sv in sight.

And dont get me started on using my EX500 at Loudon and lapping every SR1000 twice durring a session. NOTHING is more fun than that. (on 2 wheels anyway)
Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 AM
SuperBike

Actually Smokinjoe has a great idea and he's right I know that from my own racing days. A good SV or NT 650 or EX500 would be really fun and easy to go fast on.

Last edited by HRCA#1; 10-22-2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: left out a word
Old 10-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
I did a track day last year on ZX6r and tried to pass a guy on an SV650 just ahead of me. Took me a few laps to manage this because on the straights, he was just as fast. The only thing that brought me closer is under braking, and, I was slightly faster in the curves. But that was not a bike/performance issue, it was a driver one. He was a little less experienced, and, the brakes on the Kawa are just insane, allowing later braking. If I could fit those on my Hawk, it would be outstanding for sure.

Since I'm a V-Twin lover, definately would look at the SV650 for track if ever I some day do this.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Superstock

The last time i did a track day was on a CBR6. I have never done one on a V-twin and want too, thats why I have asked about the the SV1k, RC51, or the Shawk. I once thought about the SV650 but I passed it up on the 07 CB600 Hornet. Never did a track day on it though. So now from what I have read is do suspension upgrades, tires, and brakes on the Shawk OR get a SV650, OR a RC51? I understand the Smaller the bike the lighter and easier it is to sling around the corners, but for someone who is just getting back "Into the 'lean' of things" matter or the Shawk that I have put 4K (miles) on be easier to learn on, even though I'm getting new suspension on?

I am at another cross roads and need some guidance and I trust all of you for this. I just dont know where to start. I just feel I am pushing my luck with with the Fuzz and on-comming cars on the twisty roads up north.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by autoteach
Ummmm, how about racing a ninja 250 or cbr250. You can play super hero and you wont have to pony up tons of cash. The racing is super competitive...
Man, I have to agree with you on that even though im looking at 4K for a new one. I think If I was ever to go a 250 route it would be a CB250R. I love the Specs on that bike and I have seen what it can do with a good - great rider behind the bars. I think that IF I was going to Buy a bike that was a 250 that was not my wifes I would never hear the end of it... If shes not happy I go "On the dry spell". Yeah I said it...
Old 10-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
A SV650 is a good way to hone your skills... In the hands of an experienced rider it can as other have said confound a lot of riders on "faster bikes"... The trick isn't straigth line speed, the trick is going around bends with less brake, or even flat out, as opposed to bigger bikes with newer riders that "stop and go" in corners...

You can do a lot of upgrades to an SV650 for cheap, and even more if you spend more... A GSXR front end with calipers and a better shock does wonders... The list can be made as long as with the VTR, but the fact remains, in stock form, or with very mild mods it makes a very, very nice trackbike to learn on... And you can get them for cheap, ish with track acessories with a little luck, if you aren't dead set on a pristine example...

A RC51 demands a good rider to perform, so does an SV1000, but for different reasons... The RC is simply a much more focused track bike than both the SV1000 and the VTR and others, altough compared to a lot more modern bikes it's larger, heavier and a lot more of a compromise than it was when new... But ridden the way it's supposed to, it can still surprise a lot of people riding potent IL4's...

My honest advice, get a less than pristine SV650 for track, and keep the VTR for road... If you keep your head cool, you can like a lot of us enjoy the less than 100% attack rides on road, once you get to push it on track...
Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Squid

mileyguard is on a distinguished road
if you want to be fast find control first and speed will come with it
Old 10-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Superstock

Alright, Even after just 4 mins of search time tonight I have found 4 SV650's that have been track preped for 1700 - 2300. I would feel better laying a bike down when parts are more readily available instead of my VTR, and also I will have my favorite bike back at home to jump on and ride (when the weathers nice).
Old 10-24-2012, 09:59 AM
MotoGP

You'd be amazed how fast you can go on an sv. As a bonus gsxr bodywork bolts right up and is available everywhere cheap. Is sort of a sweeter handling bike similar to a hawk in design and feel.
Attached Thumbnails To track the Hawk or buy a Trackday bike?-july-24-njmp-031.jpg  

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 10-24-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Superstock

Well, now I guess I gotta get to find a good forum for SV's after I get one. Thanks for the heads-up on the body work.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:44 AM
MotoGP

This is the best one Parts For Sale - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

But for race/ track stuff you wanna check out gsxr forums, & race ones like WERA, NESBA, Chicagoland, BARF, etc.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
This is the best one Parts For Sale - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

But for race/ track stuff you wanna check out gsxr forums, & race ones like WERA, NESBA, Chicagoland, BARF, etc.
Thanks for the heads up. I think I will be spending a few hours a day on my days off looking for my hawk and ideas for a soon to be SV in my garage.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 AM
MotoGP

When I got my SV I put it on the road for a couple weeks to feel it out. (VTR plate)It was like a Motogp bike. Very tiny and agile. Surprisingly powerful for a 650 as well.
Attached Thumbnails To track the Hawk or buy a Trackday bike?-sv-full-fairing-003.jpg   To track the Hawk or buy a Trackday bike?-opener2012-002.jpg