General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Track Day Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Back Marker

barrysuperhawk
Track Day Questions

Ok, after a long talk with a guy at a dealer, I am fired up to do a track day. Being in central Illinois, my choices seem to be Gateway [STL], Putnam[indy], Autobahn[joliet], or Blackhawk[rockford]. I would like to hook up with another superhawker that already does track days, and maybe tag along to one of these events. My questions fall into three [obvious] categories:

Bike: What do I need to do to it, what should I do? How close am I to passing Tech as it sits? Currently I am about bone stock, with high TBR pipes as my only performance mod (the rifle case dosen't count, it comes off..) Pics of my bike

Gear: I know I need more, but my only resource being the net, I am confused on some things. Too bad Daryl dosen't still have those used leathers, who was it in Minn that did leathers?

Knowledge: After watching some track videos, I realized I am lacking in the fundamental knowledge of some of the how's and why's of track riding. I have Keith Code's books, and have read them, but I think comprehension won't come until I do it. I think NESBA's introductory rider program might be a good start.

So, is T2 on this board? Daryl? "in MINN" crew? Please help a NOOB out.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:59 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Generally, you'll want relatively fresh tires and brake pads. Flushing the coolant and an oil change are also on the list, if those haven't been done in awhile.

Some organizers require you to tape up your wheel weights, lights, and sometimes your speedo.

As long as you don't have parts dangling off the bike, you should be fine.

And depending on who's hosting the party, you can get away with a textile suit (Aerostitch). I recommend a comfy 2 piece or 1 piece leathers. Boots, gloves, and a helmet. Ear plugs, too.

Bring lots of liquids (water, gatorade) to ensure you're properly hydrated. Some snacks, too, for when you're just sitting around.

Have fun! My first trackday was a blast. I've done 8 trackdays since my first, and they're always a fun learning experience.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:18 PM
Back Marker

barrysuperhawk
Re: Track Day Questions

Well, My suit is designed to keep me warm, and isnt a full zip... sooo is there anyone on here that sells leathers?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:29 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Do you fit off the rack suits?

www.newenough.com usually has a suit or two on Closeout (--> inexpensive)

I highly recommend www.terra-powersports.com (they can usually beat most retailers' prices, except eBay).
Old 05-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Back Marker

barrysuperhawk

Ok I got a set of leathers on the way.. what's next? I think wiring and tech is next.

I have new pads on the way.

I think a full fluid change is in order, so that is:

Coolant:
Distilled Water and Water Wetter, OR Engine ICE...

Brake/Clutch Fluid:
Dot 3 or 4? How much should I buy to change everything? Can I use the same stuff in the brakes and the clutch? Is there a prefered brand? Do I really need speedbleeders?

Fork Fluid:
I have a 100% stock front end. I weigh 220# without gear. What weight fluid and how much?

Saftey Wire:
Are the saftey wire "kits" worth the effort? I have some .035 SS wire and small spinner pliers already, but I still need to drill parts or get the special washers. I had the idea of buying extras of the parts that need drilled, so I can have spares and also so I can "undo" the wiring if I want, later on.

What else?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Originally Posted by barrysuperhawk";p=&quot
Ok I got a set of leathers on the way.. what's next? I think wiring and tech is next.

I have new pads on the way.

I think a full fluid change is in order, so that is:

Coolant:
Distilled Water and Water Wetter, OR Engine ICE...

Brake/Clutch Fluid:
Dot 3 or 4? How much should I buy to change everything? Can I use the same stuff in the brakes and the clutch? Is there a prefered brand? Do I really need speedbleeders?

Fork Fluid:
I have a 100% stock front end. I weigh 220# without gear. What weight fluid and how much?

Saftey Wire:
Are the saftey wire "kits" worth the effort? I have some .035 SS wire and small spinner pliers already, but I still need to drill parts or get the special washers. I had the idea of buying extras of the parts that need drilled, so I can have spares and also so I can "undo" the wiring if I want, later on.

What else?
If this is your first trackday, I don't think you need to wire up your bike. Unless you're in the fastest group, but that may vary from trackday organizer to organizer.

With regards to fork fluid, I honestly don't know. I had the dealership (oh the shame!) install my Race Tech front springs. I believe Race Tech's website has more information regarding what weight springs you'll need, but definitely consider this modification. You are close to my weight, and I chose 1.0kg/mm springs.

Use DOT4 for your brake and clutch lines. I believe one bottle should be enough for the front lines and the clutch line, but I like to have a backup bottle in case my bike's really thirsty (or I forget to close the line as I'm filling up). Get a brake bleeder - it makes life much simpler.

Lastly, I use Water Wetter and water. I've never tried Engine Ice but I imagine they accomplish similar goals.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:36 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Also, if you don't already have one, I'd suggest a back protector, the hard-shell type or similar to the Bohn or Knox brand. Many trackday org. are now requiring them, not sure about yours though. Either way it's good insurance for your body.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:41 PM
Back Marker

barrysuperhawk
Originally Posted by VTRDarren";p=&quot
Also, if you don't already have one, I'd suggest a back protector, the hard-shell type or similar to the Bohn or Knox brand. Many trackday org. are now requiring them, not sure about yours though. Either way it's good insurance for your body.
Ok, I thought of that, and intentionally bought my suit 1 size too big. There seems to be quite the array of options, short ones, long ones.. Are the $80 ones [web:45a61d5101]http://www.compacc.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=177[/web:45a61d5101] as good as the $130 ones [web:45a61d5101]http://www.compacc.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=9077[/web:45a61d5101]

Anyone have a spare oil filler cap?

I use K&N oil filters, so wiring is simple as they already have a hole. I just bought a "spare" oil drain plug to drill. I am going to order speedbleeders, are they all the same size? [2 fronts, one rear, one clutch]
Old 05-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Back Marker

barrysuperhawk
Armadillo style, as in like the second link on my post?

What makes it hard to get into and out of leather? My plan is to order a suit that was one size too big specifically to allow me to add armor - is this a valid theory?
Old 05-15-2005, 05:02 AM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point

hard armour is better at protecting your spine.

my HJC suit came with a hard back protector built in.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Back Marker

barrysuperhawk

Ok, so, what do you guys wear under your kilt, er I mean Leathers?
Old 05-24-2005, 07:44 AM
Back Marker

Random

Under your leathers, get some good synthetic "cool max" or similar material. The stuff is made for hot weather and wicks away moisture keeping you cool (rather than keeping you warm like conventional long undies), and the fabric is very slippery, allowing you to slide into/out of your leathers with ease (compared to hot, sticky sweaty skin or t-shirt).
http://www.sweatitout.com/

They also sell "suits" made of similar stuff, but they are sorta overpriced compared to the performance long underwear. Kushtani makes one, but it's a full suit with a crotch to neck zipper and runs about $200.

For REALLY hot weather track days, I HIGHLY reccomend this
http://www.actionstation.com/coolmax.html

Sure you look like a NASA reject out of your suit, but the stuff REALLY works. You can remove the shirt (little hard to remove the pants, but if you've got no modesty problems, go for it) and dunk it/soak it in water, then lightly wring it out. The "tubes" hold the water and give extra evaporative cooling without making you "wet" or getting your leathers wet.