Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Questions on buying my first track leather

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:14 AM
Street Fighter
Squid

Denverhawk is on a distinguished road
Questions on buying my first track leather

My buddy and I are trying to do our first trackday at the end of this summer so I am looking for a one-piece leather. Today I tried on 4 suits from 3 manufacturers, size 44/54 seems my best fit although I wear a 46/56 jacket (6ft 1 1/2in with 34 waist 36 inseam and 180 lb after a big dinner) Everything I tried had slack in the belly but I'm not expecting miracles as I'm all knees and elbows. I am interested in thoughts/advice on picking the right suit for me. I'm considering all options as I am a total noob at the track (never even dirt bikes); new, used, online, or clearance with budget and safety as the main concerns. I've seen Texports for as low as $350 on ebay and bottom-end Feildsheer suits for $550. I've never heard of these two companies(other then the recent Feildsheer thread). A-star and Teknic both have base model suits around $800. I want to be safe and comfortable, (looking and feeling cool would be nice too) but also don't know if this is rely something I'll do allot. And if I do it often, what I want in a suit will be a lot more evident. I have to admit that something slightly used for around $500 seems appealing. What do you guys think?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:48 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
You won't find a suit that will fit you right with out getting a custom one. I am 6'6" and my suit fits about the same way. One thing to also consider is if you are going to wear hard armor chest and back protection under it. The track days I do require you to have hard spine armor.

Try motorcyclecloseouts.com
Old 07-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Back Marker

gssbmm
if this is your first track day I woudl suggest trying to see if the provider has a way to rent a suit. it will let you try out how a suit will feel on the track with less of an outlay. also I would go to you local cyclegear because they will let you bring a suit back if you don't like it even if it has been worn (or in my case if it's a crap moto-gp brand suit and the seams explode as soon as you crash) 100 percent refund isn't bad after you've worn it.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:35 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
if you have a pretty good idea of size you are running, ebay for something lightly used with no crash history is a good way to go - I found a brand new 1piece leather vanson for half price one time, but there are lots of things out there. stick with a major brand it it should be fine. Newenough.com is another good source for some used and mostly overstock things and will take things back if you don't like/dont fit right etc. without going custom you should easily be able to find something good in your price range. get the right thing and you'll probably end up wearing it for street rides too.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:02 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
why a 1 piece ? you could get a 2 piece ( zips all the way around ) and have it do double duty, track & street.

i have a fieldsheer suit ( 2 piece ), i really like it.

tim
Old 07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
im partial to the 1pc suits...fit like a glove and look great...only theyre a pain if you get in and out alot. i dont worry about that too much. the slack around your stomach is perfect for your back protector.

i think the main thing to pay attention to is how thick the leather is and the company's quality of stitching. i think the best bang for buck brand new is a frank thomas from cycle gear $400. my friend crash tested one and it held up perfectly--he STILL wears it even to this day. ive crash tested my dainese and it held up fine. the leather is REALLY soft with dainese suits, makes it super comfortable.

i was lucky and snagged a dainese laguna seca 1 pc for $600 around new years (actually my gf bought it for my birthday). cycle gear was having a dainese 40% off sale...im thinking they might do it again this year.

heres a pic with it on from my track day @ buttonwillow on monday

Old 07-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Back Marker

doggerman is on a distinguished road
Does your jacket have a zipper.
I wear a 2 piece A*(made in China)and like it.For me it made a better street suit.I get cold and the 2 piece route got me a jacket with fewer perferations,and a zip in liner.And I can wear my electric vest with the cord coming out at the waist.(Thats right,Riding around with the heater on).I know a guy who wears a Frank Thomas 2piece and it looks like a good suit.If you have any concerns about style stay away from the cheap AGV suits.I've seen a couple and they look like a North Korean leisure suit.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:59 PM
SuperBike

re: one piece vs. two piece. the zipper is a major weak point. it may be fine for street - and I would agree is more versatile and probably OK for lower speeds. But if the prime motivation is track use I would not use it. Imagine sliding from 80mph on your back or front feet first - the zipper, or the seam attached to it, is going to give leaving a very large amount of skin open and then on the tarmac etc etc.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:54 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I've got an A* SG-1 or Octane (not sure) 2 piece. I went down feet first on my bum and everything held together fine at about 60mph. These suits are available for $500 on several websites. My dealer price matches so I gave them the business.
For the street rider who does occasional trackdays a 2 piece is great. My previous suit was a Joe Rocket 1 pc and I am much happier with 2pc. I even tour with it from time to time. Check Ebay and Craigslist too. You just might be able to score something fancy that is slightly used/broken in for less than $500.

newenough.com
motorcyclecloseouts.com
Old 07-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Street Fighter
Squid

Denverhawk is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replys. Right now I'm in agreement with CLYBI. Also I have a really nice jacket that I think looks great and is super-functional, but First Gear doesn't make pants that zip to it any more. I'm not sure a two peice that can double as a jacket only is worth the safty comprimise since I have a nice jacket. I read some other threads befor I posted and have tried the 'newenough' but they seemed to have technical problem with their site but I will keep trying. Thanks for the heads-up on possible rentals, that may be a great option. Also thanks for back-protecter insights as well. I'll let you all know as my thought process develops.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Back Marker

doggerman is on a distinguished road
re: one piece vs. two piece. the zipper is a major weak point. it may be fine for street - and I would agree is more versatile and probably OK for lower speeds. But if the prime motivation is track use I would not use it. Imagine sliding from 80mph on your back or front feet first - the zipper, or the seam attached to it, is going to give leaving a very large amount of skin open and then on the tarmac etc etc.
Yea well said and those thoughts cross my mind from time to time.I suppose im hoping and praying Im good up to 80mph.You'd think technology would have advanced past the zipper by now.I guess I was also trying to promote
"wear your gear on the street"
Old 07-30-2009, 10:00 AM
SuperBike

I hear you. And I still use my two-piece occasionally too. but even in street riding I'm aware of that big flap of coat that will ride up on me while sliding and leave me sliding on very little.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Superstock

i dunno, for the track though, i think i'd feel 100x safer in a 1pc than a 2pc. the zippers for sure do not zip all the way around, and if you dump it at 80-100mph somehow (oil slick? debris? off road excursion that goes south?), the zipper is going to be torn away REAL quick. u might rarely hit 100mph on the street, but on the track it happens pretty easily, especially with superhawks.

like i said, 400$ for a 1pc frank thomas from cycle gear. my buddy has crashed in his at least once and it held up so well that he's been doing track days for more than a year on it (i think he's crashed more since then, but i cant be sure. i just know for sure once.) you can probably find really good deals on craigs too, seen plenty of top brand suits go for cheap.

at the same time i can understand the 2pc argument as its very much more convenient. however, consider this: most ppl argue ATGATT on the street, but really for the track, its ATGATT+1. u have to go the extra mile to stay safe cuz the extra speed and turns really exponentialize the risk.

*edit* forgot to mention, for a pair of brand new pants, it'll be 200-300 range no? 100$ more and u get a brand new suit with 1.4mm cow hide i believe. my dainese is only 1.2mm i think.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Superstock

heres the pic of that frank thomas suit...it looks pretty damn good. not even joking. some of the dainese suits are ridiculous and gaudy, this suit is pretty damn good.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i've seen too many crashes ( street ) and have yet to see the 360 degree zip pull apart. i do agree, a 1 piece is better. i was just suggesting a 2 piece to do double duty.

there is also under suit armour & back protectors that would help in case the
zipper did fail.

http://www.ykk-usa.com/Zipper_Strength.pdf

tim
Old 08-04-2009, 06:51 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
If I had to do it all over again I would hold out for a suit with the hump. Under that hump is the most important part of your spine and any extra padding/support there could mean a lot. Also hard plastic shoulders seem like a good idea to help keep that fragile joint together.

Read this book Total Control by Lee Parks and it will hopefully prevent or at least greatly reduce the chances of you actually using your suit for its intended purpose.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Superstock

hotbrakes, you forgot that the aero humps looks sweet too :].
Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 AM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
i use feildsheer 2 piece leather flex jacket and pants, its perf. and zips into one peice, it breaths really well, its approved for the track so it must b safe, i dont c the zippers as a weak point since thats what jacket is made for.... a-stars look bad as$ but not worth extra money
Old 08-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Back Marker

gssbmm
I can personaly tell you the Frank Thomas suits hold up well and last longer then can be expected. i still have mine after 3 seasons of racing and teaching at trackdays this suit is on me about 5 full days a month. I've crashed in it 5 times one at 100 plus i am not the kindest person to my gear and it holds up to constant texas heat and sweat as well as can be expected for a $400 suit.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Back Marker

MC Leather is on a distinguished road
From the sounds of of your build a 44 2 piece would be a good fit. Tall guys fit 2 pieces well. I could type 20 pages on this subject, I just don't have the time. Make sure the knee and elbow armor don't rotate out of the way.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
1 piece leathers

I've got a set of leathers from ebay from this vendor:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Rhino-Le...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

I have another friend who has another suit from this guy and they are both great suits. My buddy rides track days all the time and I've worn my suit several hundered times. I've never been down in it, but it isn't some chincy suit from ebay. The guy who owns the place was easy to work with and quick with shipment. +1 on the one piece suit.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:21 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gssbmm
I can personaly tell you the Frank Thomas suits hold up well and last longer then can be expected. i still have mine after 3 seasons of racing and teaching at trackdays this suit is on me about 5 full days a month. I've crashed in it 5 times one at 100 plus i am not the kindest person to my gear and it holds up to constant texas heat and sweat as well as can be expected for a $400 suit.
that's good to know. I got my frank thomas suit last year off ebay for $200, but thankfully I haven't had to crash test it yet.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Squid

bink is on a distinguished road
Try to go to a Cycle Gear, they should have a few kinds of suits in stock, Frank Thomas, Dainese, Alpinestars, and BKS....this will give you a good comparison of what fits you well................+1 on the Frank Thomas....the Velocita suit is on sale right now at Cycle Gear for $299.......kangaroo in the abrasion areas, and perforated in non abrasion areas for ventilation......great buy on a very good suit...

Hope the info helps
Old 08-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Superstock

I might also mention that my buddies with 2 piece suits have a case of the wants for 1 piecers now haha