General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tires: Michelin or Continentals Which ones??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Squid

vtrlvr is on a distinguished road
Tires: Michelin or Continentals Which ones??

I need new tires for my 2004 VTR. The tires that came on the bike from the factory are the Dunlops. With only 3000 miles on them they already don't handle to good. I am thinking about getting the michelin pilot roads or the Continental road attacks. Which tires do most of you guys have and which ones seem to work best on these bikes??
Old 02-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Maybe you should try to describe your style of riding. Leisure? Corner carving? Commuting?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Squid

i live in Jacksonville, Fl. So there are mostly flat roads around here and if i want to find a curve somewhere i have to go ride entrance ramps.:-( Man i wish i lived in North Carolina but the all year riding season sure is nice!!!!!!!!! So yea leisure/sport riding and maybe soon a track day once a year or so.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I've heard the Bridgestone BT020 are a good long lasting tire. They will stick fairly well if pushed and don't go off all at once, IOW they give you a little warning when you're getting close to the limit of traction.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
I've got Pilot Roads and I love em....good predictable grip.

I'm biased against Continental tires due to my experience with their car and SUV tires. Worked in a tire shop for 3 years and Continentals are the worst tires we deal in by far...they have a nasty habit of coming apart, to the point that it's expected of them. They may make better bike tires, but with my history with them, I would NEVER trust ANYTHING they produced.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
I've ridden on the stock Dunlops, Pirelli Super Corsas and Michelin Pilot Powers. I like the pilots best, great traction, feedback, feel and wear. Got Pilot Roads on my wife's YZF600R and their real nice too. The Roads are probably all anyone needs on the street and will last longer than Powers but we all think we can and do ride harder than we really do and therefore need the stickier rubber.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:27 AM
Back Marker

05xman is on a distinguished road
I just put the 2ct pilot powers on my hawk and love them, but I haven't ridden her that much cause it's been cold and wet.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:44 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
I have been running the BT010 front/BT020 rear combination for several tire changes. I do mostly commuting (slab) and weekend carving with a few weekend tours. I run the tires about 5psi harder than Honda suggests. I get reasonable wear - between 12 & 15,000km on the rear and 22-25,000km on the front.

I tried the BT020 on the front, but found it tended to slide a little when pushed in a corner....not a good feeling. The BT010 front inspires confidence.

A local stealership is offering great prices on Michelin Pilot Sport and Pilot Road tires. I am tempted to try them out.

Other folks have talked about the Michelins....Pilot Sport up front and Pilot Road out back. Anyone tried this combination? Observations? Mileage? Handling dry & wet?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Geoff in Almonte
Old 02-13-2007, 05:03 AM
Squid

Miscia is on a distinguished road
I have Continental SportAttacks on my SH, they're very good, not the best, but they have a lot of grip. But i think RoadAttacks will be better for you cause they're a bit harder.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:19 AM
Back Marker

seaton001 is on a distinguished road
I have Bridgestones on my Superhawk now and I really do not like them. They do not grip that well in the wet and while 2 wheel drifts are fun some of the time, they can be down right scary when you are sliding towards the guardrail.

I had Dunlops and Michelins before and both were really good tires. I slightly preferred the Michelins due to the fact that they held their line better in a corner when hitting a bump or something.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
I ran the Pilot Roads on my SH, and have them on my CBR 1000F.
I like them a lot and found them to be more than adequate for anything less than very aggressive riding.
They last a good long time and I found them to be very good in the rain.
FWIW, I do push them really hard on the 1000F, mostly two-up, and they last longer than they have a right to.

I switched to Pilot Powers or the new Dunlop Qualifiers for my SH, because I was treating the Pilot Roads as a pure sport tire and was having too much slippin' and slidin' under very demanding conditions.

If you don't see yourself really pushing them, I suspect the Pilot Roads would do you fine.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Dirty Bird
Squid

hawkbill is on a distinguished road
I just replaced my Metzlers with Pilots and they've been great so far. When I had my Metzlers, I had the M1 up front and Z6 (touring tire) in the rear for extended wear. This combination worked well except at track days when my rear end kept fish tailing during hard braking. In fairness to the Z6, it was toward the end of its life cycle, it was a cold day, and if I lowered tire pressure as well as used less rear break, I probably could have compensated.
Nonetheless, on the street, the compromise is well worth the additional mileage you'll get.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I am looking to get new tires this week, I am leaning towards the Pilot powers, but now am thinking the Roads might be a better match for my style, no very aggressive...but want them to be able to hold up in the twisties....
Old 02-26-2007, 08:40 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
conti sport on front conti road on back. love them for the price they are VERY nice.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
There is a nice write-up in last months Sport Rider on Tires. They compare Dunlop vs Michelin tires from the sport touring down to DOT race and slicks. Nitty gritty is the Qualifiers and Pilot Powers are more than enough even for the ocassional race day...faster lap times than the 2CT and GP tires. I have the Qualifiers and love them...just wore out my back tire in 4000 mi with 70% hard (for me) canyon riding.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

so who has the Pilot powers, and what kind of miles are you getting, for what type of riding??

Anyone seen a good deal on them? Cycle Gear can mount and balance them for $301 OTD....that's with me taking them the wheels....
Old 02-26-2007, 09:37 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Zedicus
conti sport on front conti road on back. love them for the price they are VERY nice.
Got about 3000 on the rear on a set of PPs. That's with 1 track day & moderately aggressive backroad riding. Great tires, but I'd like more miles. As soon as I put them on I could tell it was easier to choose & hold a line thru a turn.
I'm always trying something different though. Seems I never go back with the same tire a second time.
Thinking of trying the Conti set up Zedicus mentioned.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:49 AM
SuperBike

http://www.tireexpress.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=5813

Pilot Powers $229 a set.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Not bad, I think I am going to pick them up at cycle gear locally, I need them this week, and I have someone that can mount and balance for free....

$233 for the set, plus tax, so should be around $250 OTD...
Old 02-26-2007, 12:33 PM
SuperBike

Yeah, that's a very decent price for getting locally, I think.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by kickinchicken996
I am looking to get new tires this week, I am leaning towards the Pilot powers, but now am thinking the Roads might be a better match for my style, no very aggressive...but want them to be able to hold up in the twisties....
check www.sportrider.com for a tire comparo from the dec.06 issue.
very informative comparo of Michelin and Dunlop tires sport/touring vs. sport vs. street/track vs. track. very telling. the S/T tires are getting REALLY good.

I might be persauded(sp) to scan and upload the article... have to learn how to, actually... but I should learn it anyway...
Old 02-26-2007, 06:55 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
VTRLVR, you should come out to Jennings one of these days , I try to go every 2 or 3 months and know lots of guys fron Jax that go. I think it's only an hour or so from you and you get to roast all the tires you want for $125 a day. I had the RoadAttacks and was really liking them until I got a crack in the sidewall, not sure why and it might have been a one time thing. I think the roads would be good for ya unless you hit the track then go for either the Qualifiers, powers or Bridgestone 014.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by superhawk22
VTRLVR, you should come out to Jennings one of these days , I try to go every 2 or 3 months and know lots of guys fron Jax that go. I think it's only an hour or so from you and you get to roast all the tires you want for $125 a day. I had the RoadAttacks and was really liking them until I got a crack in the sidewall, not sure why and it might have been a one time thing. I think the roads would be good for ya unless you hit the track then go for either the Qualifiers, powers or Bridgestone 014.
Yea i have been wanting to go for a while. One of my brothers has the Z1000 and my other brother has a RC51. I have never done a track day so i am kind of skiddish of going. I have done Deals Gap a few times but not on the hawk. I know the track will be much much safer than the gap. Hopefully i will get there one day.Need to.Want to.Got to. Damn it i am leaving right now............Ok maybe not. But soon.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:06 PM
MotoGP

JUST DO IT!!! seriously though they just set up some new rules for novice to really show you the right way to do a track day and the right line around the track. They also have more control riders and some class time to go with it, great improvements if you ask me. Anytime you want to go let me know and I can help you out, even if it's just to calm the nerves, I felt like puking my first time I was so excited!! Don't worry about the bike I did my first few times on the SH with it totally stock and had a blast, you'd be surprised at the variety of bikes out there. Truthfully I'm hopelessly hooked on track riding and think it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
Yeah, that's a very decent price for getting locally, I think.
I just found a bike shop like 30 mins down the road that have the powers in stock (last pr) I take the bike in, they full the wheels, mount and balance for $269.59 OTD....I really needed them by Sat...so that is an outstanding deal..they beat the compitition by $85.00

Gotta love it....
Old 02-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Squid

jmyg79
anyone have any input on the Bridgestone BT-021
Old 02-27-2007, 06:57 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jmyg79
anyone have any input on the Bridgestone BT-021
Too new, I doubt anyone here has spooned them on yet but if you do be sure to post up.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:51 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
I've got a new BT021 on the rear and BT014 on the front. Now I just need a good rain to wash the salt off the roads and a morning above 30. I should have a full life report sometime in June.