General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 12:02 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Tires?

I figured since somebody asked about which oil to use it be OK for me to ask about tires. Let me be clear I’m not asking for recommendations or what the “best tire” is. I don’t want to start a war. What I want to know is, who if anyone on the forum has used Continental Road Attack 3 on their Superhawk.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:32 PM
SuperSport

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
I have used them but not on the Hawk. That being said I like them a lot. Excellent wear so far, excellent traction. I have not tested wet weather yet. Very stable in all situations.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:53 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I have not but just looked them up and they are pretty pricey. I thought the contis were kinda lower price point but they are way more than Dunlop roadsmarts. Surprising.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:38 PM
SuperBike

Same question, different tire. Dunlop Roadsmart III
Old 06-26-2019, 03:23 AM
SuperSport

I had those on my Buell iirc. No complaints, I shredded them and switched over to Shinko Ravens.

What do you say we kickstart this thread and talk about running a car tire on the rear. If you do a lot of commuting a Pirelli P4 works well and will outlast any bike tire 10:1. Cheaper too. Oh, and yes I've measured the beads and sacrificed a rim just to check cross section. No biggy. I did the same with an old set of tire to show that the profile contour is just fine. The only downside is everyone you meet, that has not done it, thinks you're bat **** crazy. As for cornering, my buddy Erik has run through the dragons tail with a P4 on the rear. No issues.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:06 AM
MotoGP

Now we are getting somewhere. Car tire on bike for long wear. I thought only goldwingers did this but here we are. Awesome. Seems like it wouldn't want to turn but I haven't done it so am ignorant of how it really works.

It is thinking outside the box to solve a problem so I like the whole idea. Just seems the sidewalls would be so soft in comparison to a bike tire.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:07 PM
SuperSport

Oh she turns alright, you won't believe. Google "darkside rear tire."
Old 07-01-2019, 04:39 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
Ha! Darkside Superhawk! Big point of contention with my Voyager xii brethren
Old 07-02-2019, 02:33 AM
SuperSport

I am always willing to do something unconventional or just plain stupid in the name if science or just to prove someone else wrong. I can take some measurements when I do my rim swap and what will fit. I can do it this winter for kicks.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:36 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi boys - its been a minute (as dem kids say) I was just looking for at a ST tire reviews - I don't run the twisty's like I used to and commute more with da VTR - Hiway to work & 1/2 backroads on way home. Have found some great riding roads as I have an 80 mile each way (hiway) commute.

Anyway the Conti Motions I have now were good & last 6k. I had some Mich PR2s last time & lasted 10k.

And as always the budget is TIGHT - (I have to throw some kids out...)

So what ST tires is the best bang for da buck de jour?

Thanks
Rhino
Old 07-03-2019, 03:20 PM
SuperSport

Well, I have to say that I have a soft spot in my heart for Michelin Anakees, though I'm not sure if they are available in our size. After that..on the cheap...I picked up a set of Shinko Raven tires off craigslist for $50 once with about 1000 miles on them. They were a fairly hard compound but did not have any traction issues. The only noticeable thing that I would have classified as unusual was that the front tire was rather heavy. As a set they were well planted in all driving conditions, cheap, and good looking.

AV
Old 07-03-2019, 06:49 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Please don't drink the water...

I spent several years working in a bike shop. Probably mounted average 2-300 tires per season. You do not want Stinko tires. Run out completely sucks with this brand and I have proof... We've had several customers with about 2 seasons on their Stinko's and the sidewalls are cracking, bad. They are cheap for a reason. Tires are the only thing between you and the road. Choose wisely.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:51 PM
Squid

Xbolt22 is on a distinguished road
I'm rather fond of Pirelli Angels (ST or GT). Good grip dry or wet, nice profile, and they handle well.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:40 AM
MotoGP

Xbolt are the angels dual compound? Like a sport touring deal?
Old 07-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Squid

Xbolt22 is on a distinguished road
I believe the Gate are dual compound. They don't make the STs anymore, but you can still find some only a year old, or so, for cheap.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:28 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Xbolt22
I'm rather fond of Pirelli Angels (ST or GT). Good grip dry or wet, nice profile, and they handle well.
I'm running the GT now. On the second rear. They have been very good over all. There is now a II version, but want to try something different.
Yes they are dual compound.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:42 PM
SuperBike

New rubber is always a thing of wonder, as in "I wonder why I waited so long to get new tires".
Found a great price on the Conti RA3 at Moto Mall. Took a chance on them, having not ordered before. Tires arrived in three days.
The old tires, Pirelli Angel GT, were done. The front had 11k miles on it and was, I think, the cause of very poor and some what spooky handling. The front looked like a truncated triangle. That wasn't the case when I replace the first rear at 6k miles. Time to move on to something different.
Enter the Conti RA3. Time will tell, but so far I'm really liking them. Very stable over pavement irregularities. Smooth and linear tip in. Easy to maintain or change a line through a turn. Even though the carcass of the tire is quite stiff the ride quality over rough, bumpy pavement is better than the Pirelli.