General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Throttle Hand Going to sleep

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 03:52 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
update

this morning i got the surgery done. it took 10 min. i walked out and drove to get prescription then to work.

i am very thankful to have got this done.

nurse took a pic with my bb. the doc set up the pic and got the nurse to take the pic at the best time, mid surgery when all was open!
Attached Thumbnails Throttle Hand Going to sleep-img00384-20101222-1040.jpg  
Old 12-23-2010, 04:12 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by finepooch
this morning i got the surgery done. it took 10 min. i walked out and drove to get prescription then to work.

i am very thankful to have got this done.

nurse took a pic with my bb. the doc set up the pic and got the nurse to take the pic at the best time, mid surgery when all was open!
Please keep us posted on your recovery. I'm pretty sure I need surgery too, but I'm too chicken to have it done.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:47 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nekkid
Please keep us posted on your recovery. I'm pretty sure I need surgery too, but I'm too chicken to have it done.
don't be scared. i was nervous but it was a piece of cake. had it done about 32hrs ago and my hand has progressed already. it is still a pain in the *** because i pretty much can't use it. ever try washing your hands with one hand??? hahahaha
my other hand is scheduled for the 19th of jan.
also, the anti inflamatory prescrip i have has given me a glimpse of life without carpal tunnel. it's awesome. i cannot wait to ride next summer without numb/pain hands.
as for your condition, what are your symptoms? when hand falls asleep, does your pinkie and half your ring finger stay ok? when you reach for something do you occasionally feel a sharp pain shoot up your arm?
if you don't deal with it you may lose use of your hand. yikes.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:17 AM
Superstock

I developed the condition in '93 when I decided to try and remodel the interior of my house on my own. After about two weeks of this, the pain in my hands and wrists would wake me in the morning. I've been tested several times over the years and it's CTS for sure. The electrical test indicates about 50% damage in my right hand and 20% in my left. Pronating my wrist (bending my hand forward) while performing a task, like stirring a pot on the stove, is agonizing. Occasionally, while driving, my hand will slip off the steering wheel and my wrist will contact the rim of the wheel: instant 220 volt-like pain accompanied by involuntary yell of "motherf+$#er".
I still search the web for any new techniques or advances in treating CTS, but nothing viable so far. I've heard too many stories of patients not responding well to conventional surgical treatment and that's what scares me. In my profession, commercial photographer, I need the use of my hands and finger tips. My wife's hairdresser pretty much had to retire after having surgery. I'm hoping what you are experiencing is the norm for most post surgical patients.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:22 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
its very reliable surgical treatment, with a lot of history behind it. not doing so only risks permanent damage - pretty likely given how long you've had bad symptoms. But waiting only makes worse damage more likely and then you really will have trouble using your hands. Every case is different and maybe there is more to your story. Fear of any procedure is natural, there is always a small risk rate and unfortunately those make the headlines and forums and stories at the barbershop. The success rate is high. But long term damage is inevitable if you continue to have compression. The fear shouldn't stop you from getting it fixed in this case if you're a candidate. See an experienced surgeon and get another opinion.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:08 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nekkid
I developed the condition in '93 when I decided to try and remodel the interior of my house on my own. After about two weeks of this, the pain in my hands and wrists would wake me in the morning. I've been tested several times over the years and it's CTS for sure. The electrical test indicates about 50% damage in my right hand and 20% in my left. Pronating my wrist (bending my hand forward) while performing a task, like stirring a pot on the stove, is agonizing. Occasionally, while driving, my hand will slip off the steering wheel and my wrist will contact the rim of the wheel: instant 220 volt-like pain accompanied by involuntary yell of "motherf+$#er".
I still search the web for any new techniques or advances in treating CTS, but nothing viable so far. I've heard too many stories of patients not responding well to conventional surgical treatment and that's what scares me. In my profession, commercial photographer, I need the use of my hands and finger tips. My wife's hairdresser pretty much had to retire after having surgery. I'm hoping what you are experiencing is the norm for most post surgical patients.
i 100% disagree

Originally Posted by cliby
its very reliable surgical treatment, with a lot of history behind it. not doing so only risks permanent damage - pretty likely given how long you've had bad symptoms. But waiting only makes worse damage more likely and then you really will have trouble using your hands. Every case is different and maybe there is more to your story. Fear of any procedure is natural, there is always a small risk rate and unfortunately those make the headlines and forums and stories at the barbershop. The success rate is high. But long term damage is inevitable if you continue to have compression. The fear shouldn't stop you from getting it fixed in this case if you're a candidate. See an experienced surgeon and get another opinion.
i 100% agree. problems for sure if you do nothing. if get something done like surgery there is a very high change of a good result.

and the surgery is a piece of cake
Old 12-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Superstock

Thanks, guys. I'll have my situation re-evaluated early in the new year when my new health care insurance kicks in.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:59 AM
SuperBike

update -
surgery was wednesday. today is saturday and i am begining to use my hand. i am being very cautious. i am carefully lifting my coffee cup. i did not use hand to lift laundry basket. i feel much more able to type. i can close hand enough to touch finger tips on palm.

as for carpal tunnel/median nerve relief, too early to tell. the anti inflamatory med i'm taking has eliminated the pressure in both hands so i don't know if the surgery has done the trick yet. having not had the cts in either hand since taking the meds is very nice. i certainly hope this is a preview of life without cts.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:16 PM
SuperBike

another day, another update

continued to push the use of hand. the progress has been very quick. showered and was able to lather up my l arm pit! able to pick up glass of water and cup of coffee. can touch all finger tips on palm. can bend wrist quite far.

i had to dr up the pic to see what is going on. that is why color might be off.
Attached Thumbnails Throttle Hand Going to sleep-img00394-20101225-1855.jpg  
Old 12-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Squid

Meierznutz is on a distinguished road
Good luck and dont over do it. Right when it feels like you're fine and you want to really push is when you at the best time to self reinjure. Go for as much PT as they will let you and follow their directions. I know from experience in these matters...
So far I have collected nearly 1000 stiches, dislocated the r knee 7 times, had the l shoulder rotator done once, the r knee done twice, the r wrist done once, broke my nose 4 times (3 by wife... I shouldnt tickle her), broke 2 bones in r ankle, a finger, and 4 years ago I broke a bone in my neck putting on my T-shirt.
After all this I have paid for my Ortho's BMW ;-}
Old 02-10-2011, 06:32 PM
SuperBike

update

first hand is seven weeks since surgery. it is getting close to normal. i can use it for basically anything. it has not fallen asleep since surgery.

second had done three weeks ago. it took the surgery better that the first hand. it's still sore but not too bad.

as for reinjuring it, the doc told me i can't hurt it, but it might hurt me.

my sleep has improved. i have(remember) dreams now!

this surgey is awesome.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Great to hear. Glad you did it.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Some post surgury pics

So here are those pics you wanted me to post after the surgury right? Definitely doesnt look like it will go numb unless you find a smelting plant.
Attached Thumbnails Throttle Hand Going to sleep-terminator.jpg   Throttle Hand Going to sleep-images.jpg  
Old 02-11-2011, 03:57 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So here are those pics you wanted me to post after the surgury right? Definitely doesnt look like it will go numb unless you find a smelting plant.
wow. what an improvement! Wipin your *** could be a lit painful, but I'll bet your girlfriend likes it. haha
Old 04-10-2011, 04:09 PM
SuperBike

another update.

it's still cold here but today i managed my first post surgery ride. it was a short one. the good news is that my hands did not go numb.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 PM
MotoGP

If its any consolation my hand go numb & I didnt have surgury. Its the vibes.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:17 PM
SuperBike

another update.
today i finally got a chance to go for a decent ride. did a couple hundred kms on my 1098. my hands did not go to sleep due to the carpal tunnel deal. this surgery has drastically improved my riding enjoyment. it is a shocking revelation to experience what normal riding is like with no numb hands. amazing.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:47 PM
MotoGP

You know if you keep this kind of posting going you are going to make us all want to run out and get this surgury. Wait a minute, your not a hand surgeon are you?
Old 05-22-2011, 05:22 PM
SuperBike

You know if you keep this kind of posting going you are going to make us all want to run out and get this surgury. Wait a minute, your not a hand surgeon are you?
hahahahahahah
i know what you're saying. there was someone on the thread who wanted me to keep updates coming. i'm so happy with the results and wanted to share with someone and my lady has heard enough. i guess you have too!
i should get a life.
not a surgeon!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:19 AM
MotoGP

It is interesting though since I have recently noticed my hands going numb even on mountain bike rides of over 10 miles. Which is strange since there is no v-twin pulse.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:58 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
It is interesting though since I have recently noticed my hands going numb even on mountain bike rides of over 10 miles. Which is strange since there is no v-twin pulse.
mine go numb on mountain bike and not so much on vtr, but i think I know why. When I'm biking i usually have a good grip/weight on the bars and on the SH, light hands/little weight.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:04 PM
SuperBike

another update.
today i finally got a chance to go for a decent ride. did a couple hundred kms on my 1098. my hands did not go to sleep due to the carpal tunnel deal. this surgery has drastically improved my riding enjoyment. it is a shocking revelation to experience what normal riding is like with no numb hands. amazing.
another update.
after a few months of riding i am happy to report that i am still very happy with my results.
consider this my last update.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Back Marker

Big Shepp is on a distinguished road
i mentioned it to my doctor about it and got the best canada's health care system could do: "sorry, you have to book another appoinment to talk about a second issue."
******** just want to charge the gov for a second visit.
Which is why socialized healthcare is a joke. if anyone else has this problem, you need to see a chiropractor, I had carpal tunnel from my football stance(defensive end is far more weight on your hand than riding) and he literally fixed it in a min. I routinely visit him for an adjustment and I remain pain-free from all my various sports injuries. Chiropractors are always my first suggestion when join or muscle pain is involved. But congrats on the surgery!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:04 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Big Shepp
Which is why socialized healthcare is a joke.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:20 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
Something must SERIOUSLY be wrong with me because my wrist(right only) goes numb on the hawk as well as my road bike, somehow it doesn;t on my cb550 though?

The reason I am soo worried is I'm not yet even 27(next mo)

UH OH.. and of course, NO health insurance....
Old 10-10-2011, 01:43 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I just bought this plastic thing called "cramp buster" at the local sport bike shop for around $10. It slides on over the throttle grip and acts kinda like a oil filter wrench in the way it opperates on how it turns the throttle with the base of your hand like a paddle really helps as I am no longer dfeath gripping the throttle nor need even to use fingers cept just to rest at the ready for brake etc. also bought new pillow grips as well.(yellow and bvlack to match my bike)
Old 10-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Back Marker

Big Shepp is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mertechperformance
Something must SERIOUSLY be wrong with me because my wrist(right only) goes numb on the hawk as well as my road bike, somehow it doesn;t on my cb550 though?

The reason I am soo worried is I'm not yet even 27(next mo)

UH OH.. and of course, NO health insurance....
Like a said earlier, try a chiropractor. They're significantly cheaper than a doctor, and they can usually diagnose something nerve related(hand going numb) with ease. I'm only 19 and I've had minor carpal tunnel from football. Fortunately my chiropractor caught it early and fixed it in a matter of seconds. Now I go once every few months for an adjustment and he makes sure it isn't a recurring problem. It's totally worth the cost to see one of these miracle workers if you're going to be playing sports (like I did) or riding quite a bit.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:00 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
oh forgot to mention something I found was also imnportant...magnesium and calcium supplements (google it ) it is needed in our diets to help on the muscles which most rarely get enough in the usual diet. I started to take 2 tablets a day and has seemed to help (takes some time to rebuild the levels back up from where your at when you finally notice the pain and fatigue. the great thing is you can get this at the grocery store and cheep.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Jack of all Master of non
Superstock

3amta3 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DocPigskin17
So is there anything I can do to stop my throttle hand from going to sleep after only riding 45 miles or so? Maybe I am just getting old?
Get a CCS-100 Cruise control system, it is bad a$$. it is such a relief to use on long trips.