General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What would you do: VTR or 1125r

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Back Marker

YTKinWI is on a distinguished road
What would you do: VTR or 1125r

I have a '99 VTR which I am very content with as a track day only toy. I have an opportunity to buy a '08 Buell 1125r with lots of body work extras and only 1475 miles for $5,000. A little research show the first year 1125r had problems. I don't know anyone who has one to check with. I've read the badweatherbiker's 1125r forum and an '08 looks "iffy" reliability wise. It is apparently sensitive to set up for track day use and suspension set up it NOT my forte. Wadaya think about moving up to the 1125r?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:35 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by YTKinWI
I have a '99 VTR which I am very content with as a track day only toy. I have an opportunity to buy a '08 Buell 1125r with lots of body work extras and only 1475 miles for $5,000. A little research show the first year 1125r had problems. I don't know anyone who has one to check with. I've read the badweatherbiker's 1125r forum and an '08 looks "iffy" reliability wise. It is apparently sensitive to set up for track day use and suspension set up it NOT my forte. Wadaya think about moving up to the 1125r?
I would pass on the Buell.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:32 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Have you seen the 1190RS?

It's a little pricier than a used 1125R though, and much better looking in my opinion. That's the only Buell I'd be interested in... if I had an extra $44,000.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Squid

mcfizzer is on a distinguished road
Screw the buell.. see if you can find an SP2 or an R1.. just ma 2 cents
Old 08-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by YTKinWI
You got me curious so I did a bit of Googling myself. Definitely seem to be quite a few issues: electrical, gas leaks, clutch ....

Low miles? Typically a good sign, but in this case, you have to wonder if it's 'cause the owner just couldn't keep it running long enough to put more on it.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:23 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Buell who, at least with the VTR you can get parts.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:41 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
Before you listen to these clowns, see if you can take it for a ride. I think you'll be impressed. I used to be in a Buell club and I've been around lots of 1125's. They're outstanding motorcycles for the money.

What exactly would you do with it? You say you have a VTR trackday bike, would you replace it with the Buell? If that's the case I would'nt just for the fact that a VTR is almost a throw away bike considering the low resale value.

For a street bike though, the 1125 Buells are outstanding. Completely flat torque curve, it's like a damn 140hp electric motor, awesome brakes, and zero maintenance belt drive. Don't believe the hype about the reliablilty. Look at how many people post on here about their Honda's having problems.

Also, the suspension setup is no different than any other bike. Set the sag, then compression and rebound. You don't have to fool with fitting spacers on the shock like the VTR. Erik did an excellent job at shipping these bike with proper spring and valve rates. It's a track capable right out of the box.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Noob is on the right track. I had an opportunity to test ride an 1125r on the track. They are incredibly fast compared to the hawk. if you think power wheelies are easy on the hawk, try it on an 1125.

Negatives I found in my 20 minute ride:
Weight - the bike feels heavy, but to be fair, I was riding a 600 at the time. However, it's definitely a different type of track ride.
Power - there is a serious flat spot in the power curve at about 3000 RPM. Re-mapping should take care of that, but needs to be done.
Brakes - mine had aftermarket pads and they worked incredibly well. The Buell guys told me afterwards that it's a big improvement.

When I test rode it, I was fortunate enough to have Ken Hill do some laps with me. I was passing everyone on the track with the power the 1125 put out, even the liter bikes. I thought I was hot stuff until I came out of a turn, drove under another rider, and just as I was hitting stride, Ken blitzed me underneath like I was standing still. LOL

I have another buell at home. it's an XB9R. Obviously not the same model, but it's been a good bike for the time I've owned it. The only problem I've really had was that the vibrations shake the battery terminals loose and it shows up as sluggish starting. I check them occasionally to keep them tight and no problems.

Last edited by Old Yeller; 08-22-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
I think one of the main problems with the 1125 models was the stator and R/R they were using and they would typically fry themselves as the third phase was cut out at idle.

A few tweaks and mods can be made to fix those and a buell race ECM will fix that flat spot. Granted, it's an extra 500, but its still worth it IMHO.

They're wonderful bikes once you take a lot of the babysitting software off too
Old 08-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Squid

IAGeezer is on a distinguished road
Your call. "If you treat your gun like you treat your lawnmower, buy a Glock" - Larry Vickers.

Like a 1911, the Buell is an Enthusiasts machine, and will require more commitment, if just from a parts pricing standpoint. Smaller community to draw wisdom from, but dedicated nonetheless.

So, the question is, how willing are you to commit to it?

If I didn't already have the VTR and my FJR, I'd get a Buell. Dollars are finite....
Old 10-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Squid

Jumpfiend is on a distinguished road
Ok, we haven't gotten much of a response from the OP...

What's the word?

I had an 1125R for a year in the States. Had a few different issues, grounding of wires, fueling, re-flashes, clutch cover weeping etc, and loved that bike like no other.

Have also owned an 05 sv650s, 04 r6, 01 f4i, couple 400cc bikes, and in the process of buying a 97 vtr. The 1125 was my favorite, hands down. I'd still have it if I thought I could bring it here to Japan (I know now I could have).

It's SO damn light and flickable. The brakes are sick. The power is wonderful. The wheel base is SHORT and combined with the weight balance it's amazing to ride twisties.

Given, parts and service will get harder and harder to find....but for a track only bike? Do it
Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
I looked at the Buell when Harley dropped them and slashed prices. For me, it was too small but I never got it off the showroom floor to ride. Physically, it was tiny. On the plus side, Eric Buell would probably love to hear from you if you had any questions. That's gotta be worth something.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:59 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Sheldon, how big are you? I'm 6 Ft and 215 and was in full track gear when I rode it. I felt comfortable. One thing that always felt funny to me though was that I felt like my head was sticking out over the front tire. It always looked like there was nothing there.