General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Thoughts on Buell

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:38 AM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on Buell

I know I know, it's not a Honda. I just want your thoughts on Buell's Lightening or Firebolt. They are really inexpensive (maybe for a good reason) and abundant. I'd prefer thoughts from those who have experience or at least know someone with one or something.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:04 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
I think that they are great, simply because the PO of my '05 SH sold it because he bought 2 new Buells and needed the money. He bought an 1125 with the Rotax engine and the 1200 with the Sporster engine. They look nice, and are cheap right now (so are SHs). His comments were that the 1125 was a great track bike, and the 1200 was his ride for when he and his GF take trips. He said that the SH was easier to ride and more comfortable, and not as fast or nimble as either of the Buells. All his bike were cherry - he took good care of them. So I gave him $3400 and took the SH off his hands. So I think that Buells are great. JB

Last edited by residentg; 03-11-2010 at 02:05 AM. Reason: something to do at 5am.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:43 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ranchomice
They are really inexpensive (maybe for a good reason) and abundant.
Well at least in my area they're not any less expensive or more abundant than any other used bike of a similar year, mileage, condition.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:55 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
I have an XB9r along with my SH. The 9r is a very different animal. Revs stay lower than even the SH. Almost feels like short-shifting. Power on the 9R is less than the SH, but linear. the 12R would be more than the SH.

Overall, I prefer the SH. just personal preference.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:15 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I believe the 1200 actual rwhp was avout 90. So it isn't any faster than the hawk, I think they where within a few hundreths of a second in motorcyclist magazine's numbers they used to post in the back. It was their numbers from their dyno and their quarter times. I think the buells are only less expensive then they where because of harley killing the program.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Squid

nwellinghoff is on a distinguished road
I picked up an 1125R for a steal when Buell was dumping them. Definitly faster and more nimble than the hawk. Brakes and suspension are def an upgrade. But thats what I would expect with a bike that is a decade newer.

As for the XB's, I have alot of expierence on those too. Similar to the hawk, but once again the Buell better in the turns. Since they are air cooled that fan is annoying as anything. I do like the brakes better too. Shifting sucks, unless you like a big clunk. They feel like they will die due to the low-revving, so that takes some getting use to.

Overall I like the Hawk better than the XB's, but the 1125 is pretty sweet
Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Superstock

as for the 12, you could be right that it'd be comparable to the SH. My comments were only based on my 9R experience and assuming where the 12 would be based on that.

If you are really looking at buells though, the 1125 is the way to go, for sure.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by NCDave
If you are really looking at buells though, the 1125 is the way to go, for sure.
+1
Old 03-11-2010, 10:17 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
yes if you get a buell, get the one that is least connected to harley. Rotax FTW!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
I test drove a Lightning and found it to the fast, good handling, fine brakes but I couldn't see out the mirrors until I hit about 60MPH. It had a Harley engine in it for sure!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Superstock

One of the things I really love about the XB9R is how wonderfully smooth it is at higher speeds. On the highway, it just strums along at about 4k RPMs making a beautiful exhaust note. It's one of the reasons I'm hooked on twins of all types. My next favorite exhaust note is V-4s, but I do love to hear my i-4 triumph screaming on the track at about 13k!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
I have a Buell XB9R Lightning as well as the VTR. I've had the Lightning for 4 years and love the bike. Fantastic, telepathic handling...(no need to lean, just countersteer with your fingertips) and a front brake to make your nose bleed. Great bikes, pics attached....
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on Buell-p1010786.jpg   Thoughts on Buell-p1010789.jpg   Thoughts on Buell-p1010791.jpg  
Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Squid

joe6pack is on a distinguished road
That is one pretty motorcycle.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Well, I've found several 1125's for around 3k with at or under 10k miles on them. I was suprised. Might be my next bike.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:01 AM
Superstock

if you can get one for that kind of price, grab it!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:53 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ranchomice
Well, I've found several 1125's for around 3k with at or under 10k miles on them. I was suprised. Might be my next bike.

IMO, the biggest problem with a Buell, especially the bikes with the 1125cc lump, is going to be parts availability.

H-D says they will continue to support the machines, but I've got to believe that the individual dealers will be hesitant to stock much other than routine maintenance items.

"Yeah, we can order that part for you, it should be here in 7-10 business days."

Rex
Old 03-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Superstock

That's true Rex, but is that really different from our Super Hawks? My local dealer never has anything in stock. That's why I generally order online for much of what I buy. If I'm going to have to wait anyway, why waste the trip out. It's easier to have it delivered to my doorstep.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:28 AM
SuperBike

I agree, the parts I need for the hawk they might have in stock maybe one in ten, ironically every part I need for the 73 cafe they stocked... weird.

Wasn't harley obligated to carry parts for buell for the next 7 yrs?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NCDave
That's true Rex, but is that really different from our Super Hawks?

I think it's a very different situation. The SuperHawk was a Honda product, while the Buells were, at best, a secondary, niche product to H-D management.

The management team at H-D could pull the pin on Buell support at pretty much any time (I have no idea if they face any Gov't. mandated requirement for product support). It will cost them $$ to maintain Buell specific inventory, and they may decide, at some point, that it is an expense they no longer want to carry on the books. When that happens Buell owners will be in the same situation as someone who owns a Scott "Flying Squirrel".

If you have one, and plan on keeping it, it might be a good idea to find a couple of cheep donor bikes to build up your own parts department.

Then again, I could be talkin' outta my ***.
My crystal ball is broked!

Rex
Old 03-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Superstock

My point was that the other manufacturers eventually discontine parts on their bike models as well. given that the SH is no longer being produced, the amount of stock is limited. I had large problems with this for my 90 Suzuki VX800. Tried to get body work...backorder, backorder, backorder.

I'm not sure what the parts manufacture quantities were for the 1125. As long as there's stuff available, the dealers will be more than happy to sell customers them for a profit. When it will dry up is the big question though, huh.