General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Thinking of buying a Superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Squid

espacef1fan is on a distinguished road
Thinking of buying a Superhawk

I'm 21 years old and have a Kawasaki KLX250s dualsport. I've been offered a decent deal on a lightly dressed up and modded 2000 superhawk for about 3 grand.

I'm about 5,7" 160 lbs.

I'm Wondering how this bike is in daily use in city traffic..

Also how it does on highway trips.....and maybe bombing down the occasional winding road.
Are their many cheap and effectve power mods for this bike?
Is changing gearing helpful?
I know I'm not being overly specific..but I'm ust tryn g to feel out what a Superhawk is all about.

I'm in the market for a sportbike...but I dont nescasarilly need an R6 or somthing..Just something fun around town, bombing downa twsty road...and can cruise on the hghway? Is the superhawk for me?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
You shouldn't need power mods for what you are looking for. This will do 150mph and can keep up with modern 600's on the twisties.

Traffic is fine..it is a sport bike, but I find it as comfortable as any other one.

Highway trips?? Luggage will have to be aftermarket stuff, but you will need a sargent or corbin seat for 3+ hours if your butt is like mine.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Squid

VTwin996Rider is on a distinguished road
You'll be happy with your purchase...plenty of power and low range torque for all around use

You'll definately want a Corbin or Sargent seat as well as clip on upgrades...I know first hand after making a 500 mile trip over the weekend

Overall I think you will be very satisfied with the 996

Enjoy!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:41 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by espacef1fan
Is changing gearing helpful?
In my opinion, this is the most helpful mod you can make to a Superhawk. I'm running 15/43, but a cheap and easy mod is to replace the stock 16 tooth countershaft sprocket with a 15 tooth and leave the rear wheel sprocket at 41 teeth. I have done lots of mods to my hawk, including engine work, and the gearing change is the easiest and most noticeable of all the mods I have done.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:42 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I am your size but 35 years your senior. These bikes are the best bang for the buck in the whole dam world! I have been around high performance machines my whole life and I am never unimpressed with the Superhawk. There is no better handling machine out there for riders of our size. I've wanted a Superhawk since the first time I sat on one five years ago. That dream came true in September of this year. What I've learned so far is not so much in the horsepower department but the handling department. The bike has more than enough power to make your 160 pounds flap in the wind. But the handling should be carefully tuned to your size and weight - most are not and they definitely aren't from the factory. Everybody says the front brakes and forks are prime for mods and long before I started to count my ponies I'd be paying for new calipers and guts for the forks. The most important thing is to ride safe because this bike will hand you your *** if you don't respect it. When you climb on - leave your ego in the garage - at least for a while. But most of all, ENJOY & HAVE FUN!
Old 11-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I agree with nuhawk. For a 160# rider the shock is wayyyy too stiff. You can do power mods later but get the handling up to par with the current bikes and this bike is actually faster than an 03 R1 in the twisties. That's my ridin' buddy on the R1 and we generally are about the same speed with me on the 1000RR, but I'm faster in the twisties on the Superhawk, so I just couldn't help than to pass his ***! hehe Anyway, yeah the VTR is a good around town bike too. Lots of torque helps there and the bike generally does well in traffic. Some bikes run hot in traffic. This one generally doesn't. And yeah, the Sargent seat was one of my first mods as well.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
I sold my Gixxer (great Poser machine)and Kept my SH then went out and brought another one SH......
Old 11-26-2006, 08:05 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Motorcycles are like women and computers, It takes more than one
Old 11-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
Motorcycles are like MISTRESSES and computers, It takes more than one
Fixed
Old 11-29-2006, 08:50 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nuhawk
The most important thing is to ride safe because this bike will hand you your *** if you don't respect it. When you climb on - leave your ego in the garage - at least for a while. But most of all, ENJOY & HAVE FUN!
couldn't agree more. from what you're coming from, power is not something you need to worry about improving. it can be a BEAST. it bit me once and once was enough. take it slow.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Squid

snakeman34 is on a distinguished road
Ok I am currently riding a 250 ninja I love the bike light and nibble not a lot of power but enough for at 150 but I am 6'6" so i am big on it. I have a friend that has a superhawk and i rode it and fell in love with it. But is it a good bike for me i have 3 years of riding now 1 on a gs450l and 2 on my 250 ninja. still have the 250. but I am wanting a larger motor and larger bike that will fit me. is the superhawk good for me or what would you suggest being that in am in college now
Old 11-30-2006, 06:56 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
It will rock your noobie world.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:48 AM
Squid

noobie how am I a noobie I put on 5000 miles in one summer and total of 9000 in a year on the 250 oh well any advise for me
Old 11-30-2006, 02:31 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by snakeman34
noobie how am I a noobie I put on 5000 miles in one summer and total of 9000 in a year on the 250 oh well any advise for me
Umm, I was replying to espacef1fan who asked the question. I'll quote when I'm repsonding to someone else like I'm doing now.

You're not a noobie, you're a threadjacker! LOL.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Back Marker

superbikemike
Noobies might rock too much!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Squid

I thought that this thread would be relevent place to put a questoin regaurding buying a superhawk
Old 11-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Squid

Mendo Dave is on a distinguished road
This thing will go down the twisty roads and keep up with any R1, Gixer, CBR, type. It makes power that you can use in the real world, tons of tourqe. Ive got over 50,000 miles on mine. These V twins are the bomb. you wont regret getting one. If you have ever rode a big thumper off road it's kind of like that.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:04 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Superhawks are a great bike, if you rode one and loved it go ahead and get one - you won't be sorry

Originally Posted by snakeman34
Ok I am currently riding a 250 ninja I love the bike light and nibble not a lot of power but enough for at 150 but I am 6'6" so i am big on it. I have a friend that has a superhawk and i rode it and fell in love with it. But is it a good bike for me i have 3 years of riding now 1 on a gs450l and 2 on my 250 ninja. still have the 250. but I am wanting a larger motor and larger bike that will fit me. is the superhawk good for me or what would you suggest being that in am in college now