General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

They wont do the work! Weak Sauce!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Back Marker

WhOrD is on a distinguished road
Unhappy They wont do the work! Weak Sauce!

1. I've been intending to re-calibrate / tune /synch the carbs.
2. Installing my new Manual CTT.
3. Dyno Tune

I live in the Bay Area of California..I've called 4 shops within 15 miles of where I live.

NONE of them will work on the bike. Each shop had differing reasons but they were:

1. Liability with working on the CCT and the liability if the installation is not 100% correct.
2. Liability working with dyno jet stage I carbs.
3. Inexperience with tuning Carb's for Dyno.
4. We only work on Harley's

There are a few more places I can call. But wow, I did not expect to hear these responses.

Guess I'll just have to set aside some time.....(Really not wanting to tune carbs...time time time.......especially with an incomplete DynoJet kit + K&M filter (previous owner did not supply me with complete kit nor inform me the bike had been jetted)

I do have a brand new OEM stock air filter...but the carbs are currently tuned for the K&N and the bike ran like utter crap with the OEM installed.

Maybe I should have put this in the venting forum....

Happy Friday <3
Old 02-15-2013, 12:03 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
There is a carb setup thread by 8541Hawk in the knowledge base that will get you a great base setting. Trash the K&N and the Dyno Jet kit and you're more than halfway there.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, one minute goes by and no one knows a thing about carbs. Last 2 shop owners I spoke to knew 10 times less than I did. They said the dont work on carbs. With injection they can just replace expensive parts in minutes.

It is not cost effective for them. They know anyone riding this bike wont want to see the bill they hand them at the end.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Worse yet they'd probably chrome it!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:56 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HRCA#1
Worse yet they'd probably chrome it!
Add some carb weight.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Back Marker

Epic brutality......I'm so thankful for your information...I know carbs are outdated, but OMG I didnt know techs forgot how to work on them....

I work in IT.....I can still repair a windows 3.1 system... <cough> so why do these techs forget the basics of the enterprise from which they work.... /sigh.....

Tuning the carbs, especially without the additional parts the DynoJet Stage 1 comes with..is going to be a pain in the ***....

Re-ordering OEM parts and re-installing an OEM specific setup as per the 8541Hawk guide will also be a pain....

I've read the 8541 Hawk guide many times over....I was going to follow it until I realized I had a Dyno Jet kit..... Poop on my face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Poop Poop Poop!!

Last edited by WhOrD; 02-15-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: It's my birthday and I'm drinking....
Old 02-15-2013, 02:33 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
At least they're being honest about not knowing; better than just trying to remember what they learned in tech school for i4's and giving it a shot. Same for the CCT... they should know how, but the owner probably knows that he employs 19 year olds who think that setting up a bike for a different rider would be to change the SS brake line colors, and doesn't want to risk ruining a good motor...
Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Where you at in the Bay Area?
Old 02-15-2013, 05:10 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Soak in the instructions and follow them step-by-step and you can't go wrong

www.vtr1000.org &bull; View topic - How to remove and refit CCT's on the Firestorm

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...pe-ccts-11275/
Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by WhOrD
Epic brutality......I'm so thankful for your information...I know carbs are outdated, but OMG I didnt know techs forgot how to work on them....

I work in IT.....I can still repair a windows 3.1 system... <cough> so why do these techs forget the basics of the enterprise from which they work.... /sigh.....

Tuning the carbs, especially without the additional parts the DynoJet Stage 1 comes with..is going to be a pain in the ***....

Re-ordering OEM parts and re-installing an OEM specific setup as per the 8541Hawk guide will also be a pain....

I've read the 8541 Hawk guide many times over....I was going to follow it until I realized I had a Dyno Jet kit..... Poop on my face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Poop Poop Poop!!
All you would really need is a set of springs and then main & pilot jets and just use the DJ needles and plug the extra lift hole & run the stock air filter. That would be your best bet IMHO.

If I was still in the bay area I would do the work for you. What part of the Bay Area are you in?

There are also two local boards that might be able to help you find a local resource:
South Bay Riders - SBR
Bay Area Riders Forum - BARF

Check those boards out and you might find what you are looking for,
Old 02-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Squid

Sketchy Etch is on a distinguished road
I get my parts from the Motor Cafe on El Camino, not sure if they'd still do carb work but it'd really surprise (and depressed) me if they didn't. Are people ok buying new carbureted bikes (at least the ninja 250) from shops that won't work on them?

Last edited by Sketchy Etch; 02-15-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Also beer, but its not my birthday
Old 02-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Sketchy Etch
I get my parts from the Motor Cafe on El Camino, not sure if they'd still do carb work but it'd really surprise (and depress) me if they didn't. Are people ok buying new carbureted bikes (at least the ninja 250) from shops that won't work on them?
Working on them is one thing, Installing a non-carb approved jet kit in the Peoples Republic of California is a whole different topic.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
All you would really need is a set of springs and then main & pilot jets and just use the DJ needles and plug the extra lift hole & run the stock air filter. That would be your best bet IMHO.

If I was still in the bay area I would do the work for you. What part of the Bay Area are you in?

There are also two local boards that might be able to help you find a local resource:
South Bay Riders - SBR
Bay Area Riders Forum - BARF

Check those boards out and you might find what you are looking for,
I am located @ Palo Alto / Menlo Park. Pretty much in the middle of San Fran & San Jose.

I'll look at how much a set of springs, main and pilot jet's will cost. I wish I could get on your bike HAWK as I would then have a baseline for comparison when tuning by seat of pants.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Peoples Republic of California
LOL now that is funny.

Please note: it is a violation of federal law to tamper with or disable any emission or noise control device.
Definitions
Tampering - when a dealer or customer removes or makes inoperative an emission or noise control device
Disabling - when a dealer or customer sells or installs any component that causes the emission or noise control systems to fail to comply with EPA regulations
Use - when a customer uses any motor vehicle after tampering or disabling the emission or noise control systems
Penalties
Tampering - $25,000 per violation for dealers; $2500 per violation for customers
Disabling - $2500 per violation
Use - varies by use
The idle drop method of adjusting the CV carb idle mixture - The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum

(:-})
Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by WhOrD
1. I've been intending to re-calibrate / tune /synch the carbs.
3. Dyno Tune

I live in the Bay Area of California..I've called 4 shops within 15 miles of where I live.

NONE of them will work on the bike. Each shop had differing reasons but they were:

1. Liability with working on the CCT and the liability if the installation is not 100% correct.
2. Liability working with dyno jet stage I carbs.
3. Inexperience with tuning Carb's for Dyno.
4. We only work on Harley's

There are a few more places I can call. But wow, I did not expect to hear these responses.

Guess I'll just have to set aside some time.....(Really not wanting to tune carbs...time time time.......especially with an incomplete DynoJet kit + K&M filter (previous owner did not supply me with complete kit nor inform me the bike had been jetted)

I do have a brand new OEM stock air filter...but the carbs are currently tuned for the K&N and the bike ran like utter crap with the OEM installed.

Maybe I should have put this in the venting forum....

Happy Friday <3
I don't know where you are in the Bay, but I have had good luck with tokyomoto in San Francisco, Home

and, Mission Motorcycles, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Zero, San Francisco Bay Area Motorcycles

they both work on the VTR.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by twist
I don't know where you are in the Bay, but I have had good luck with tokyomoto in San Francisco, Home

and, Mission Motorcycles, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Zero, San Francisco Bay Area Motorcycles

they both work on the VTR.
I'll give em a call and see what they can do.

Thank you Twist.