General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Taking a VTR to the track? anyone?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Squid Poacher
Back Marker

scatterbrained is on a distinguished road
Taking a VTR to the track? anyone?

Has anyone here ever done a trackday on the VTR? If so, do you have any other bikes to compare it to? I'm going to be doing a track day here in a few weeks and I can't decide on the old school GSXR or the superbird.
On the one hand I don't want to be wrenching on the GSXR between sessions but on the other hand I don't want to be disappointed in the on track feel of the stuporhawk.
Thoughts?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Did a trackday with the 'hawk and my CBR both at the track the same day. Opinions on the back and forth here.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:42 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
take the hawk! dont add to all the I4 "whining"

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=20486

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=20186
Old 10-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Squid
Squid

thumper61713 is on a distinguished road
Talking

I would take the Hawk... You will have to provide details of your track experience. I would be interested to know how much it is and how it works, amount of people... etc
Old 10-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Squid

NVDutchie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scatterbrained
Has anyone here ever done a trackday on the VTR? If so, do you have any other bikes to compare it to? I'm going to be doing a track day here in a few weeks and I can't decide on the old school GSXR or the superbird.
On the one hand I don't want to be wrenching on the GSXR between sessions but on the other hand I don't want to be disappointed in the on track feel of the stuporhawk.
Thoughts?
Scatter
Ya I've done a couple and what a blast !! just make sure you take off the 1" feelers that are bolted on the footpegs ... I'm not sure what you have for suspension stock or ? but crank down the front and adjust the rear to the hardest setting it worked for me .... in comparison I noticed I can go in deeper and come out harder (sounds dirty) with the VTR as opposed to my old GSXR ... but if the track has long straight aways be prepared those dam 600's will draft and pass ... but pending on your experience you should be able keep up in corners etc. Have fun !!

Keep your right hand cranked and your feet on the pegs !!
Old 10-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Take the the Hawk .......https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=18871
Old 10-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
howd the stock suspension fair for you guys out at the track? always a little nervous about that, and the stock brakes, and the ghetto tire combo i have haha (bt014 front, and that dunlop d220 stocker in the rear)

would i be disappointed running the hawk considering ive only tracked my rc51? mind you, its a ton of work riding that bike at the track, big heavy, and twitchy as hell on throttle.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Couldn't tell you on stock suspension,as I already had a set of Racetech springs installed. Stock brakes should be okay. I had EBC pads, and while a good bit better than stock, the stock pads should do pretty well. 014 front and D220 rear is better than the other way around, that's for sure! Stickier front is a good idea, and I had good feel and feedback from my 016's. It's loads of fun to get on the power earlier than the I-4s and pull them coming out of the corners. It's really more about your skill level, as even after my current upgrade set, any 'pro' would pass me like I'm standing still on a bone-stock 'hawk. I kept passing a ZX-12 at my trackday because he wouldn't open it up all the way coming out onto the straights, and then got on the brakes really, really early. Oh, and +1 to what Jay said... the Hawk is much more aggro sounding than the inlines, and should be especially so w/ your Yosh pipes.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
I would say do it. If you hate it, you know to take the GSXR next time. You won't be able to keep up with the 1000cc I4's, but you should be able to hang with the 600's with no problem, assuming you've done something with your suspension.

If you've got high mount exhausts, you shouldn't have any ground clearance issues other than the peg feelers. If you've got standard/low mount exhaust, be careful on the corners. I've dragged both my cans and the left side mid-pipe. Luckly, not enough to lever the rear wheel off the ground, but enough to let me know, "hang off more moron!!"
Old 10-22-2009, 07:12 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey scat, I'm going to assume that you're doing JGP since you live in O.P. let me know when you're going I might be there too. As some others have asked what kind of expierence do you have is this your 1st time out there? The vtr is very capable in stock form in the begining, as you get faster you'll probably want to mod. I've been to that track several times so if you want any pointers let me know,here are some pix in stock form on my 1st trip there. Last one is post mods.
Attached Thumbnails Taking a VTR to the track? anyone?-track-days-042-639x480.jpg   Taking a VTR to the track? anyone?-track-days-039-639x480.jpg   Taking a VTR to the track? anyone?-pc109482.jpg  
Old 10-23-2009, 03:41 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
If this is your first time at the track I would take which ever you are most comfortable on. It is a new experience, and a lot to learn with out having to be concerned about your bike.

The hawk can handle the track just fine in stock form. If your forks are stock you will probably want to stiffen them up depending on you weight. Take the feelers off your pegs so that they don't scare the sh*t out of you and go have some fun
Old 10-23-2009, 10:45 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
this is the link to the thread that I posted about my trackday this year. I know you were asking about how some of the stock parts held up, so I can tell you that I have stock suspension front and rear. I do have a fork brace and aftermarket pegs, but I've done 3 trackdays on my hawk and this was the first with those additions. I think the rest of your questions would be answered by checking out the thread, or the video. enjoy

Link:https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=20144
Old 10-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
You might like to read the "Trackday Tips:" thread here, too - it's geared to VTRs.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
I've been running my Triumph TT600 a several track days and just recently bought my SH. I took both of them to Barber this past weekend and swapped back and forth during the day.

If you are new to track riding, either one of them will be fun. You'll have a lot to learn/experience before you get to the point of worrying about which one would be better.

In general, my TT600 took a lot of shifting to stay in the power, but was lighter and easier in the turns. The SH was pure muscle compared and required far less shifting. I had to muscle it more in turns, partly, I think, because I'd get into them to fast/deep and have to "recover".

My personal opinion would be to start on the GSXR because it will be easier to ride, and you can learn more about working the turns before you put the power of the SH to work for you. If you learn how to ride curves better, and can continue to do that on the bigger SH, then you'll be that much better in the long run.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
I'd refuse to take it to the track with the stock suspension. It is borderline dangerous IMO.
If you're over 200, new fork springs and maybe different valving. If you're under 200, you need new fork springs and rear springs. That rear spring is way to stiff.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Just_Nick
I'd refuse to take it to the track with the stock suspension. It is borderline dangerous IMO.
If you're over 200, new fork springs and maybe different valving. If you're under 200, you need new fork springs and rear springs. That rear spring is way to stiff.

We've used stock SHs extensively as instructors' machines at trackdays at Pukekohe, said to be the fastest track in the Southern Hemisphere. (Partly to convince GSX-R1000 owners and the like that it's the rider, not the machine...)

I'd better tell the guys your advice pronto .
Old 10-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

I weight 150, so I don't put much weight on that rear wheel.
The problem is when you hit a bump mid-corner, instead of the suspension cycling up, it hits and bounces away, which I find very disturbing. It doesn't give me the planted feeling that I want.

Last edited by Just_Nick; 10-27-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

I weight 150, so I don't put much weight on that rear wheel.
The problem is when you hit a bump mid-corner, instead of the suspension cycling up, it hits and bounces away, which I find very disturbing. It doesn't not give me a feeling of sure-footedness.
I strongly suggest you speak to someone about your damping adjustment. Someone who knows what they are talking about. 150lb weight is not difficult to set up a stock VTR for, unless it has been buggered about with.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

The rear spring is set more for someone around 230.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

The rear spring is set more for someone around 230.
So you mean the spring preload is cranked right up?

There is an answer.

Or it has an aftermarket spring fitted?

There is an answer.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

No, I mean the spring is rated for like a 230lb rider
Old 10-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

No, I mean the spring is rated for like a 230lb rider
So that's been measured then?

If so, it's sure not a standard spring.

The answer is to go back to standard and start again.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:38 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PJay
So that's been measured then?

If so, it's sure not a standard spring.

The answer is to go back to standard and start again.

While I'm not going to agree completely with Just_Nick that is it dangerous, I do have to agree with him that it definetly is a very, VERY good idea to get your hawks suspension setup with aftermarket parts...

The reason is that the stock front has springs/valving equivalent for a 55 Kg/120 Lbs rider and the stock rear shock is sprung & valved for an ideal weight of the rider at 82 Kg/180 Lbs...

And yes, that is stock, unmodified parts... Add to that the fact that the fork is valved to be "soft" and compliant and the rear is valved rather harsh and insensitive as it's also a compromise for a passenger...

The end result is with a heavy rider is a unnerving tendancy to bottom out the fork on braking/heavy cornering... And tendancy to buck the rear mid corner with a lighter rider... Not fun...

I fully agree with you that it is the rider not the machine that is fast... And I'm rather convinced that the instructors you are talking about is more than capable of riding around these flaws and doing more than decent time on a track where they control the environment...

A novice rider though starting to go a liiitle faster or a half decent rider, is not... Not when trying to push his limits a bit... Not that the bike isn't cabable of more than most riders are, but since the front and rear is a bit mismatched, you could end up pushing the wrong way quite easily...

The difference is especially a problem on a public road, where you can't controll the surroundings, and people might force you into a emergency breaking manouver or such...

If you haven't tried a hawk with a aftermarket shock and forksprings vs a bone stock one... Do so... You will find the difference startling... I have tried it back to back... Bone stock vs forksprings vs forksprings&Ohlins vs my frankensteins monster on one day... The end result? They all upgraded within a few months time...

I'm going to guess your hawk is unmodified? Try one setup with an Ohlins or similar at the rear and you will go straight to the shop and purchase yourself one... I can promise you that... And if you are 180+ then the forks make a huge difference too... But you don't have to go wild like me...

Last edited by Tweety; 10-28-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:21 AM
Superstock

I'm just a novice getting ready to move to intermediate, and I had no problems with my SH compared to my TT600. At 210, it appears that I'm close to right for the rear stock suspension, and probably just am not skilled enough to know that the front is not right. I'm not looking to race though, just there for fun, and the SH definitely provides that.

Oh, but if you have size 12s like me, you'll want some type of rearsets to keep your toes from grinding off!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:44 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
The VTR is a great track bike. Mine has spent many-o-day around the track it's always done well. You might surprise a few of those 600cc guys too!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:50 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road

Man, it's a good thing you never raced CBR600F2's like I did. The VTR is much more stable than what's under those in stock form! You'd be amazed at what you can with an F2 or a VTR, even with stock 'spenders.

That said, there is always room for improvement and upgrades do make a big difference.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
The VTR is a great track bike. Mine has spent many-o-day around the track it's always done well. You might surprise a few of those 600cc guys too!

You can even suprise a few Ducks.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Superstock

u guys are starting to make me really curious. maybe ill bring my hawk out the track on the 9th (well ill bring the rc51 too just incase i dont like it haha). however, i have a crappy tire combo on it right now, bt014 in the front and dunlop d220 (?) stocker in the rear...suspension is stock, oem CCTs, oem brakes, and oem gearing (though i could throw on a 43 or even 46 tooth rear). im actually most nervous about the brakes and ccts ahha.

anyways, the hawk is so much easier to ride and turn, which makes it a ton more fun. not really brutal power delivery by any means...hope it works out...
Old 10-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Superstock

Stick with your RC51. You already have a twin that's more track ready than an hawk! ....unless you're just a masocist!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Superstock

haha dave, my rc51 is freaking a ton of work to ride, especially @ streets of willow which is really a small tight track with little rest.

the hawk has always been easier to ride, but with that ease i give up stability in stock form my rc51 feels bloody planted in stock form, just its big heavy and really wears your body out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taking a VTR to the track? anyone?