General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

The Superhawk meets Summit Main

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:12 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
The Superhawk meets Summit Main

Got on the track for the first time last weekend, and it was great! The bike did great, it was nice not being of those I4's whining down the straight. Ive still got a lot of things to work on but i think i did pretty good for a first timer. Headed to VIR Patriot next month.

http://www.vimeo.com/6584927

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6qiZnSk-f0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKfECXPEXE0
Old 09-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
Gnarly!

On a side note, i see youre a fan of Victor Wooten.... That dude can JAM! check out the videos of Sungha Jung. Little man can rock on a guitar.

Ok.. back on topic please!
Old 09-15-2009, 06:42 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I too made my first appearance on a track last weekend. A local technical college that specializes in truck, bus, police and other types of defensive driving offers up their track once or twice a month. Not the biggest of fastest track but very tight and technical.

I've got the same tires (BT-016) and i'm curious how the hell you did that to the front? My rear was more tore up than yours but my front was relatively untouched.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:52 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I think I just figured it out. I'm assuming the track you were at was bigger and faster than where I was. You probably used a lot more brakes than I did.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:07 PM
SuperSport

yeah im not quite sure either, people have said it looks like that from hard braking, but i wouldnt say im that good. but the front straight (i was at about 125mph) leads into a 30mph corner so there was a lot of braking. could have also picked up some rubber that was left from the faster guys.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:03 PM
SuperSport

ok so the front tire did pick up some rubber. rode for a few hours yesterday and it doesnt look as bad now.

i need a louder exhaust to drown out all those I4's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNbrxanti-Q
Old 09-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
You have one. Just pull the rear baffle in the stock ones and you won't hear anything but beautiful v-twin bellow!
Old 09-16-2009, 02:38 PM
SuperSport

or just run straight pipes....
Old 09-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Back Marker

Lifttruck is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Looks like you're having fun and pretty smooth. You're just cruising around the track right now though. If you ever do a STT beginner day they will run you through a drill that forces you to lap at a higher RPM. This drill sets up another drill that helps teach you how much better the bike will turn "on the throttle". You can really pick up your pace especially through the corners if you run the bike up in the RPM. The faster that engine is spinning the more stable the bike is through the corners. I spent last Sunday at Beaverun. I know my way around the Beave' pretty well and am a solid "I" group rider. On Beaverun in "I" it is possible to run with and even pass the "I 4" liter bikes but you have to wring the SH out a bit to do it. I'm learning to pass the 'I 4" bikes on the brakes and drive them out of the corners. Track days are addicting so keep after it!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
hey old post, saw it posted in another post for today, but i *think* and im no pro, but the excessive melting on your front is due to too low of tire pressure, and probably have a wimpy construction front (lo and behold, bt016--same tire i had similar/same problems with). further, i'm willing to bet you're a football player built type of guy, not a pedrosa type.

the rear looks pretty spot on with pressure, looks like your suspension is sorted well too.

again, i'm no pro what soever, but i went through similar issues with my last few track days. talked to a guy i know who's an mechanic for ama yamaha sbk and he pointed me in the right direction. try bringing the tire pressure up bit by bit in the front until you can find a good balance with feel--too high you'll get a little less feel, and substantially less traction. i know theyre really soft and sticky tires, and in that respect theyre GREAT, but they're a little too soft for some.

if you can swing it, i highly recommend swapping up to bt002/3rs' (so you wont need tire warmers to save the heat cycle life span). different construction, much stiffer carcass, but you're rewarded with MUCH better feel.

then again, if these tires feel good to you, stick with what you got, it's all about being comfortable out there
Old 10-22-2009, 08:00 PM
SuperSport

thanks for the tips. it turned out to just be more rubber from the track stuck to the front tire. it went back to normal after a couple days on the street. the suspension (stock rear & racetech springs, but the springs were set up for the PO who was much heavier) and tires feel good to me, i'm the one thats slowing the bike down. might try some other tires next year, but you just cant beat $200/set for the 016's! oh and no way do i have a football player build, about 6' 150-160 lol

Last edited by jay956; 10-22-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
hahaha my mistake then :]

btw, i grabbed my set of bt002rs' for 210ish OTD, but yeah, for dual street and track duty, cant beat the 016 prices