Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

post trackday Autobahn North Course

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 02:33 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
post trackday Autobahn North Course VIDS +PICS!

ok guys it took me a while to edit all the footage. if you remember, I was able to bring a mounted vidcam that my neighbor let me borrow. I recorded 5 sessions. it was about 90 minutes of footage. I trimmed it down to 18 minutes of highlights. and following the vid link are the pics that my wife and I took. enjoy

Link: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/t...ers_706485.htm

pics:

doug with our ladies

some chicagoriders.com guys

our new friend paul's track bike. he had a long day.

me and doug

ready to go

I'd like to thank my team, and my sponsors...

would ya put the damn cowl on already?

lining up

doug and I hurry up and wait.

here we go!

this was the busa and the RC51 infront of doug and I. they didn't stay there for long.

I'm on the left, and I'm the only one who's actually on the racing line.

as you can see, it pays to be on the racing line.

tipping into turn 2

and ripping the exit

this is Paul. the Busa owner. he had only been riding since march. and his Busa only had 300 miles on it. needless to say he was in over his head. we gave him what help we culd but he was struggling all day. duriing the 3pm session, he ran off the track twice, and decided to call it a day. to his credit, he didn't drop it. but I don't think he'll be bringing a Busa next time. we were smoking him in the corners all day.

packing it up after a successfull day. we didn't crash, and we smoked many bikes that we shouldn't have been able to. can't wait till next year. love those sox.

among my proudest kills, I overtook a zx-10r, 2 sv650's (dougs red one and a yellow one, both in the vid), of course the busa, the RC, and my proudest pass was on a Gixxer 1000. hope you like the vid. I worked hard on it. feedback welcome.

Last edited by swordfish; 09-10-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: boring title
Old 09-10-2009, 03:25 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Looks like a great time, except for the noobie on the 'Busa.

Where are the bike wash photos?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:03 PM
SuperSport

I told them they need umbrella girls
Old 09-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
haha nice looks like you guys had fun. i was out at buttonwillow here in CA on monday the 7th. had a blast too :]
Old 09-30-2009, 02:05 AM
SuperSport

professional pics are IN!

The CD I ordered from the professional photographers at my trackday finally arrived. so I now have some new pics to show off. I'm just posting some of them. many were taken rapidfire, so I have alot of similar shots. looks cool when you flip through them quick, but doesn't give much variety. so I'm posting some of the highlights. here they come.

I think this photographer was trying to get a good shot of my helmet. can't imagine why.

tailing the control rider

turn 2

following my buddy Doug on a warmup lap. you can see my vidcam through my windscreen.

me chasing somebody out of turn 8

way ahead of the pack

turn 2 (no its not the same pic)

ripping turn 7

entering turn 2 (still not the same pic)

exiting turn 2

well that's it. the vid is still up if anybody wants to check it out. feedback welcome.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:20 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
thanks for sharing... looked like fun.

i have no idea your skill set or how many trackdays you've done:

what i noticed was your short shifting & using a lot of engine braking into corners ( which keeps you in the wrong gear most of the time ).

you don't lay up behind another rider on the straights... riders behind you wouldn't expect you to slow down outside the braking zone, good way to get your leo's pushed up your #$$.

looked like a fun track, well suited for our bike.

tim

Last edited by trinc; 09-30-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:12 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by trinc
thanks for sharing... looked like fun.

i have no idea your skill set or how many trackdays you've done:

what i noticed was your short shifting & using a lot of engine braking into corners ( which keeps you in the wrong gear most of the time ).

you don't lay up behind another rider on the straights... riders behind you wouldn't expect you to slow down outside the braking zone, good way to get your leo's pushed up your #$$.

looked like a fun track, well suited for our bike.

tim
this was my 3rd trackday.I get one a year. I do use alot of engine braking, but I don't think I'm ready to try and take the whole thing in 3rd. not sure what part I layed up behind someone on the straight, I know at one point I came out of turn 2 to find this rolling roadblock, I mean girl who was right in my line going really slow. I knew I had guys behind me so I stayed where I was until they went by, and then I went. that girl was pissing us all off all day. if you aren't going to go fast, fine. stay off the race line when people are coming through. she was jamming up the raceline all day. anyway thanks for the tips.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:25 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
swordfish

cna you give your perspective on that track/setup (autobahn north) - safety? runoff? etc. Any concerns?
Old 09-30-2009, 12:50 PM
SuperSport

as far as safety goes, its a very safe course. I can only think of one spot where you run the risk of hitting anything but grass if you run offcourse. and I've never seen anyone go off there. its a pretty tight course, and you only get up to about 115mph coming down the straight. so if you do go off, its not like you'd go skipping into a barrier. the most serious injury I've seen anybody get at the 3 days I've gone, was a fractured collar bone, and she was walking around with ice on it. the days' I go are run by STT, so they do classes before every session until after lunch. then they turn you loose. its a great track to learn on. I've been told by more knowledgable people than me, that compared to blackhawk farms, or gingerman, its far better for beginners. and my only concern is I need to wait till next year to go again.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:27 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by swordfish
this was my 3rd trackday.I get one a year. I do use alot of engine braking, but I don't think I'm ready to try and take the whole thing in 3rd. not sure what part I layed up behind someone on the straight, I know at one point I came out of turn 2 to find this rolling roadblock, I mean girl who was right in my line going really slow. I knew I had guys behind me so I stayed where I was until they went by, and then I went. that girl was pissing us all off all day. if you aren't going to go fast, fine. stay off the race line when people are coming through. she was jamming up the raceline all day. anyway thanks for the tips.
there will always be one of those ...

not saying you should ride in one gear but your rolling off at the first brake marker & letting the engine slow you down. it's hard to tell by the video but i didn't see progression throughout the day. did you try advancing your brake marker ? or turn marker ?

tim
Old 09-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Sword

I am curious what set up you ran for this.
Are your brakes stock, or are the calipers from a F4I or another bike?
Old 09-30-2009, 05:07 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by trinc
there will always be one of those ...

not saying you should ride in one gear but your rolling off at the first brake marker & letting the engine slow you down. it's hard to tell by the video but i didn't see progression throughout the day. did you try advancing your brake marker ? or turn marker ?

tim
I didn't start recording till after lunch. maybe its the fact that it was the novice group, but the control riders didn't encourage us to adjust our markers. they told many of us what markers to use, and where to tip it in. don't get me wrong, I tried to increase my pace all day, but instruction ended with their presets, and no suggestion on messing with them. I guess you could say I was going the speed of traffic. I backed off where I saw certain other riders back off. those guys you see in my vid blowing past me as we approach a corner are almost all control riders. very few people in novice were going faster than me that day. not saying I was fast, but I was about as fast as they had schooled us to be. my control rider specifically said that next time I definitely need to do intermed. made me feel good.

Last edited by swordfish; 09-30-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:08 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by divingindaytona
Sword

I am curious what set up you ran for this.
Are your brakes stock, or are the calipers from a F4I or another bike?
my calipers and MC are from an 01 gixxer 750.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:17 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by swordfish
I didn't start recording till after lunch. maybe its the fact that it was the novice group, but the control riders didn't encourage us to adjust our markers. they told many of us what markers to use, and where to tip it in. don't get me wrong, I tried to increase my pace all day, but instruction ended with their presets, and no suggestion on messing with them.
i see. they usually do keep tighter controls on the novice group.

tim