General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

SuperHawk vrs RC51

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Squid

barrowsr is on a distinguished road
SuperHawk vrs RC51

I've been thinking about one of these bikes as an alternative to a Ducati. Anyone who has owned both have any thoughts. I'm willing to give up the naked Monster look for the less expensive maintenance / parts of a Honda. I want a V-twin!

Thanks,

Robin
Old 06-21-2010, 12:18 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Do a search this topic has been covered many times.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Squid

Actually it doesn't. A search for RC51 turns up quite a bit - mostly people swapping SuperHawk parts for RC51 parts.

Robin
Old 06-21-2010, 12:56 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Your SearchFu is weak:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=22305
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=22206
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=18310
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=16573
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=14913
Old 06-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
Well from what i've read(mostly on this forum) The Rc is obviously a faster more race oriented bike. That means you will get sharper handling, better breaking and more power. The downside is the ride of the bike is very stiff and the riding position is more cramped and bent over. Both are good bikes with different purposes.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Superstock

If you were looking at a monster i recomend the hawk. it is a more comfortable around town bike with enough torque to do a power wheelie in first. the hawk is to the monster as the RC-51 is to the 998.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:19 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
True... Monster -> Hawk... The RC is a two wheeled truck around town... It feels heavy and wooden... But then you get to the twisties and it just yawns at you saying "OK, pick up the pace a bit will ya..." And that's more like it... Both need a bit of sorting to be nice... But for all round use the hawk is way better...
Old 06-23-2010, 06:11 AM
Squid

SuperHawk vrs RC51

Thanks to all for the comments. My impression from reading this forum is that most people tweak the SuperHawk suspension. Ignoring the power characteristics of the two bikes for a moment, the RC51 seems to have better handling on the road and a suspension that is much more adjustable. At the risk of offending the purists, would it be possible to add wider, slightly higher bars to an RC51 and perhaps alter the foot pegs and controls to obtain a more comfortable, upright riding position?

Robin
Old 06-23-2010, 06:34 AM
MotoGP

Um... no... A few of us tweak the suspension... But a growing number of us just bypass the problem areas by swapping it out entirely...

Yeah, it's possible to make the RC "comfortable"... But you really should try one for a few miles first before you consider that... Like most things, the defenition of comfort is flexible... It needs to be if you apply it to an RC...

You see, "better handling on the road" is a decidedly simplistic statement... On a track, yes it's miles better... On the road it's uncomfortable to say the least... It's not quite as bad as the newest superbikes and not even close to the ducatis which has a 4 foot rider in mind, but you are not going to be doing any touring on one unless you have maschocistic tendancies...

Adding wider bars and footpegs isn't going to change that much... You will need to swap out the seat and fiddle a lot with the riding position... And at that point you will have made it unusable in it's normal capacity, since you will not be able to get it through the twisties at pace with that setup... And then it will most likely just annoy you as the clutch is hard and grabby (compared to smaller bikes and cable clutch bikes), the engine is nasty tempered when you go slow and even with a big rudder it will still steer heavy if you dawdle around...

My advice, make up your mind... The RC is a trackbike which is capable of doing some weekend canyon driving... The Hawk is a roadbike that is capable of surprising people on a track if set up properly... None of them is really at home if you try to swap them around...

That is unless you start rebuilding them from the ground up... My bike being an example of that... There isn't much left of the original, and I'd say it will outperform a stock untouched RC on a track... A well set up RC however considers my bike a light snack...
Old 06-23-2010, 08:38 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
"Wooden" is a good way to describe it. An RC51 is a rigid platform. When I was buying mine, was hoping I was making the right choice, because it just felt harsh and heavy on the street. My VTR was a much more enjoyable street bike. I hated the Monster I rode. I have a friend that can't even get anybody to look at his (the same guy I bought my RC from). Silly riding position. Especially, if you are not Italian.

But an RC51 set up for the track is light, and nimble. Steering effort at speed, on a track is a completely different story than on the street. There are people who love their RC51 as a street bike. It would be a great canyon carver. But I never had a problem keeping the pace on my VTR. They come off corners as well as anything.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:56 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Hooray, Hooray.... A logical answer to the "Want the best of both worlds"
Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Superstock

Speaking of using a sportbike for touring there was a pic in last months Motorcyclist of some guys Ducati 1198 with a full set of hard shell bags and a tank bag. That guy must like pain.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Squid

mortbike is on a distinguished road
RC51(SP1/SP2) vs Superhawk - Mirror mounts?

Do the RC51 (SP1/SP2)and Superhawk have the same bolt hole measurements for the mirror mounts? Trying to put some Rizoma mirrors on and they have the mount adapters listed for the SP1 and SP2 but none are listed for the Superhawk-Thanks for any info! Mort
Old 07-12-2010, 10:46 AM
MotoGP

Nope... Not the same bolt pattern, not the same lenght, not the same angle...

Just a FYI... It's going to be tha same for just about any part you ask about... So nope... virtually no parts are interchangeable unless you modify them...
Old 07-12-2010, 04:54 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I love my RC but hate it on the street. The tags expired last week and they will stay that way. As said before, it is a very stiff bike meant for track duty. Sure it can be fun to ride on the road, but it never feels quite right unless I'm going 80+mph around a sharp turn. I don't like doing that on the street.

If you're looking for an upgrade to the Superhawk with similar but updated characteristics, I can't say enough good things about the KTM Super Duke. The engine pulls hard like the RC but is much easier to control. The stock suspension is plush without being divey and the position is upright and comfortable. The wide bars give it spot on steering control and with the factory tankbag, wind drag is minimal. They are fairly easy to find now for not a whole lot more than what people are asking for RC's.

Ducati's look nice at coffee shops on Sunday afternoons while everyone else is out racking up miles in the mountains.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Squid

"Ducati's look nice at coffee shops on Sunday afternoons while everyone else is out racking up miles in the mountains."

Now that is funny!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
+100 LOL! I looked at a Ducati Sport Classic a couple of weeks ago and although it looked tasty, the write ups, comfort and reliability issues put me right off. I'm staying with the VTR, thanks very much...
Old 07-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
hey just wanted to chime in, i've been absent from the SH scene because mine's been sitting under a cover for the last 6 months easily...was searching around for what kinds of things people have done to setup their SH's for touring/commuting.

anyways, i like a few others here have both SH's and RC51's in our garages, my preference being the RC but im quite certain its because i pretty much only do track riding these days. i rode the RC a couple of blocks a few weeks ago, but before that, i couldnt even tell you when the last time i rode it on the street was.

the RC has an excellent engine, i much prefer it to the superhawk's mill (flame suit, on). could be the fuel injection though, but its just TONNNNNNNNS smoother to me. it does lug a little bit easier if you're not careful since its geared like a race bike, ridiculously tall and tight (tall being the important part here). ive shortened the final gearing by doing +3 on the rear sprocket and its pretty much ideal imo, not really that great for parking lots though. the meat of the powerband doesnt kick in until a little later than the hawk. theres an extra squirt of power at the very top of the powerband (i have a full 60mm leo vince system with PC3, though). clutch pull is a royal PITA, though i hear ducatis are the only worse ones around.

the SH has more traditional power delivery i suppose...power comes on early and hangs midway up, just not up to red line. this makes sense, because who really rides their bike to red line riding around town? gearing is more sensible, gears are spaced out a bit more, 1st gear is pretty usable at slow speeds. after riding my RC with reduced gearing for so long, the superhawk feels a little crazy tall with stock gearing now too. the motor is a little rough and i think thats what gives its character. it lays down the torque though, approaches the torque output of the RC.

comfort is a no brainer, SH wins hands down. the RC seating position is a lot more open, but that means you have to work a little harder to hang on. bars are much MUCH lower on the RC, to the point where if you're riding sitting up, it becomes cumbersome (being 6'0" at least...). on the RC, i always find myself having ride 1 handed in order to avoid straining my neck. pegs are pretty high in stock form on the RC but not a deal breaker for younger guys. the SH on the other hand fits like a glove almost. you feel like you're riding the bike rather than perched on top of it as with the RC. the peg position on the SH is quite comfortable IMO, just sporting enough. unfortunately, its quite difficult to change to aftermarket rearsets (if you wanted to). rubberized pegs are very comfortable too.

wind coverage even in stock form is pretty good on the hawk. my RC just ends up blasting you're entire chest and face with turbulent air. gets very fatiguing. the SH sends smooth air to your neck and helmet. theres LOTS of space under the fairing also so the controls arent all that cramped. instruments are a little hard to read on the SH though, with the speedo being white on black with a ton of numbers on it. the RC has a digital dash.

anyways, ive never had the cajones to ride my superhawk like i do my RC. it has stock suspension, with fork oil that has probably turned to sludge by now. it wallows like crazy which totally blows your confidence to oblivion. my RC on the other hand, has freaking excellent suspension if you're 175+ lbs. might be a bit harsh if you're lighter. im only just now finding the limits of my stock RC suspension after a ton of track days. you have to be going really fast around a track to really notice the limits of the stock suspension (if its in good condition). the limit for balance between rigidity/compliance and bump absorption comes a bit earlier than top shelf ohlins bit and what not probably, but my guess is that the overwhelming majority of riders wont get there riding on the street or even occasional track day.

lastly, i probably just need to address brakes. the RC brakes are bloody fantastic. the superhawks are dismal. i didnt know any better until i got my RC, but my RC apparently doesnt even stack up to the current crop from OEMs. the RC brakes lack a bit of feel at times, but they make up with power. the SH brakes are just crap IMO, and by far the first thing that should be upgraded.

putting higher bars on the RC is nearly impossible without trimming the fairing. lower pegs is possibly, but you'd have to get adjustable aftermarket rearsets. the superhawk accepts different bars quite easily, if i understand correctly.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Superstock

Sorry to change the subject a little, but has anyone owned an RC and a first gen CBR1000rr? how does that fit in the mix?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
due to having a deer crash my bike and now its out because i just noticed my frames cracked im going to be buying an rc51. great deals can be found (2005 12k miles for 5500) anyways my hawk has ohilns rear shock 2004 cbr100 front end. I love my super hawk and was about to part it out to help pay for the RC but cant do it.
My super hawk doesnt look fancy and feels a little soft (its got 55k on it) but in the mountians and low on the rpms 4-6k it has good hit and can easily pull most riders with 600's out of the turns. on the straits i dont really try.
the seating feels tall for me im 6'3" 175lbs and after 30k+ i put on that bike feels like my mountian bike under me.

if your looking for a monster go with the hawk if your want a 998 go rc. my dad had 2 m900 ones almost stock the other has alot of motor work and he still says that my hawk is the fastest bike hes ridden and after 130mi ride the other week was amazed that bumps that jarred him he said it didnt even look like I hit it. he also thinks my bike handles better. not to mention he is almost always working on his.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:30 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
From my experience modifying bikes to make them perform better I have come to the following conclusion:

It is easier and cheaper to make a super sport (like an RC51) comfortable than it is to make a compromise bike (like a Super Hawk) perform like a super sport.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:46 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
SO, To read these OPINIONS of to of the finest bikes(short of the CBR1100xx) in the years of manufacturing. And would have to agree on which is cheaper to convert- comfort riding RC-51, To S-hawk SUPERBIKE,
After reading the intellence posted on this site.
I am going to do a complete 2004 RC-51 frontend (forks, brakes, wheel, steel braided lines, streetfighter upper triple/and bar)
Can anyone inform me of a upgrade on rear shock for the S-hawks?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
SO, To read these OPINIONS of to of the finest bikes(short of the CBR1100xx) in the years of manufacturing. And would have to agree on which is cheaper to convert- comfort riding RC-51, To S-hawk SUPERBIKE,
After reading the intellence posted on this site.
I am going to do a complete 2004 RC-51 frontend (forks, brakes, wheel, steel braided lines, streetfighter upper triple/and bar)
Can anyone inform me of a upgrade on rear shock for the S-hawks?
Well you can either use one of Jamie's modified F4 shocks or run a Penske or Ohlins.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
I've considered getting one and trying something along this line:

http://www.michiganimaging.com/RC51/viper.htm

Color is a bit much.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Back Marker

After looking at the link I posted above I'm betting it would have looked alot better if they had moved the radiator under the seat but that would have gotten rid of the undertail exhaust.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Back Marker

A better view of it.
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1755414