General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

VTR vs RC51

Old 05-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Squid

david.k1200 is on a distinguished road
VTR vs RC51

For all of you VTR riders, who has ridden a RC51 and what differences did you experience?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Back Marker

GeMs is on a distinguished road
I haven't ridden an rc, but from what I have read from everywhere else is that the Superhawk has more low end torque. RC has more top end. RC is more track oriented so the suspension is much harder, and adjustable. Riding position on the RC is racier, seat is a plank(Superhawk isn't much better). Around town riding on the RC is a pain, hard to maneuver at slow speeds and engine will cook your legs. Both will be beaten by any newer "insert name here" 600cc Super sport.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:07 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Yeah, but who wants to ride on of those.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:11 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Its all about torque.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:09 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
And my insurance agent knows the difference between RVT and VTR.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:33 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by GeMs
Both will be beaten by any newer "insert name here" 600cc Super sport.
VTR...yes, RVT...no
Old 05-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Squid

DBERN
Rc is going to leave the SH on anything about the track if they are both stock with equal riders. The low end tourqe is the closest thing between the two but the RC still has the edge. After that the RC will walk. Have yet to see any 600 leave an RC but the 1k bikes today will def leave in a straight line. Components of the RC are already made for the track. SH needs some aftermarket stuff to be real good. RC rides smaller than the SH, feels faster entering a turn. Hardly any of us will ever need more than a stock SH can give though. Both great, just different. I have done the commute on both, SH is more comfy.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I was under the impression that the VTR made more torque at ~5000 RPM. But I looked at some dyno graphs yesterday and the two are very close.

so much for that idea...

The last time I rode an RC51, it steered like a truck, but I think the steering damper was too firm, and a few other things to be done to tune that out.

I hate not being able to have it yet. Going quite nuts, actually!

Having fun tuning my MTB suspension, though.

Last edited by RCVTR; 05-29-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:49 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I'll tell you the difference in a couple of weeks. The RVT should be on the road soon. I can't wait. When I'm not working, I'm in the garage working on it or on Ebay buying more crap for it. I just hope insurance isn't too bad.
Attached Thumbnails VTR vs RC51-rc51salvage.jpg  
Old 06-19-2008, 08:25 PM
The Doc
Squid

TheRedSteed is on a distinguished road
I will be picking up my RC51 Saturday. Let ya know. I rode the hawk for 4 years. Always wanted the RC
Old 06-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Back Marker

Ohio Hawk is an unknown quantity at this point
I put 20k on my Super Hawk and loved the bike... but I picked up a 2004 RC and had both bikes for about a year and found myself never riding the Hawk and when I did ride the Hawk the first thing I noticed was the brakes or I should say the lack of brakes with the Hawk..... The only thing I would say the Hawk is better at chucking along in slow traffic other than that the Hawk has nothing on a RC... even the GF likes riding on the RC better than the Hawk.... Don't get me wrong the Hawk is a great bike but after logging hours on both I prefer a RC.
Attached Thumbnails VTR vs RC51-dg6.jpg  

Last edited by Ohio Hawk; 06-24-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Squid

david.k1200 is on a distinguished road
I think I want a RC51
Old 06-24-2008, 07:43 PM
SuperSport

I did my first ride on my ressurected RC this morning to work- 65 miles. Very uncomfortable. Partly getting used to the bike I guess, and at a brisker pace would probably feel wonderful. On the interstate it only felt right above 80mph. She's a beast. The Superhawk is like riding a bronco- quick and agile, the RC51 is like riding a bull- big and nasty. The suspension still needs to be dialed in amongst some other small tweaking, but I think I will always love the Superhawk more.
The Superhawk is fast, handles relatively well, and can hang with the best of them. Plus it is comfortable for long days in the mountains. I don't know that the RC51 will be as much fun because of the lack of comfort. When I ride, it is for a long time, at least 100 miles and NEVER in a straight line. The RC will stay in my garage for a while, but right now, when one has to go, it will be the RC.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Squid

BigMarky is on a distinguished road
i spent a few months on an rc51 as well as a 996duc

the rc51 is just like a duc to me in position and the way u ride it

both of em just ride like pure racebikes, upper end power agressive riding stance/lean angles

the rc51's seat feels like a 1" pad - so ya good luck trying to ride that more then 30mins
Old 06-29-2008, 04:00 PM
The Doc
Squid

After a few hundred miles on the new bike, I can honestly say the RC 51 is a much better all around bike compared to the Hawk. The fuel injection is great, no more waiting for the engine to warm up. The suspension can be tuned perfectly for your liking. Because I am tall, the seat position works out great. (I have adjustable rearsets)

Additionally, The storage under the rear cowling is amazing in the RC. I fit so much crap in there its hard to believe. Also, the handling around corners is unbelievable. I hit the same curves on the hawk with the RC and feel a huge difference difference.

In conclusion.... For all those who love V-Twins... You will the love the step up to the RC 51.

"I wanna go fast!"
Old 06-29-2008, 04:16 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ohio Hawk
I put 20k on my Super Hawk and loved the bike... but I picked up a 2004 RC and had both bikes for about a year and found myself never riding the Hawk and when I did ride the Hawk the first thing I noticed was the brakes or I should say the lack of brakes with the Hawk..... The only thing I would say the Hawk is better at chucking along in slow traffic other than that the Hawk has nothing on a RC... even the GF likes riding on the RC better than the Hawk.... Don't get me wrong the Hawk is a great bike but after logging hours on both I prefer a RC.
After buying your bike I did ditch the brakes! Pretty spongy to me too. But they are great now. Although I do hit ebay once and a while checking out the RC's. I guess riding behind yours on the interstate didn't help.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:04 PM
SuperSport

I did my first trackday on the Superhawk yesterday. I could have taken the RC51 but I didn't want to "learn" the bike and the track at the same time so I stuck with old faithful. The Superhawk never ceases to amaze me. Yeah I was in the beginner group, with a yellow jersey on that warned everyone to stay away from me, but after a few sessions following the instructors, the only people passing me were the instructors! The Superhawk kept up just fine with new 600 race replicas in the straight and outgunned everything else in the turns with its smooth low end. I can't count on all my fingers and toes how many times I lapped Ducs every session. They were first timers too, but I figured a $20k bike would make up for that a little.
All in all, the RC51 would definitely have been better on the track because of its better brakes and more power, but the $1100 Hawk effortlessly took a day of flogging and turn strafing around every bike out there. Next trackday will probably be on the RC though.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:33 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TheRedSteed
After a few hundred miles on the new bike, I can honestly say the RC 51 is a much better all around bike compared to the Hawk. The fuel injection is great, no more waiting for the engine to warm up. The suspension can be tuned perfectly for your liking. Because I am tall, the seat position works out great. (I have adjustable rearsets)

Additionally, The storage under the rear cowling is amazing in the RC. I fit so much crap in there its hard to believe. Also, the handling around corners is unbelievable. I hit the same curves on the hawk with the RC and feel a huge difference difference.

In conclusion.... For all those who love V-Twins... You will the love the step up to the RC 51.

"I wanna go fast!"
I also only have a few hundred miles on my new to me RC.

IMO right now, the superhawk is a better all around STREET bike.

The RC is a better corner carver (chassis feels like it's carved from a solid block of metal), sexier (a big reason for bike purchases I know), FI more sensitive and still comes with a choke *** (WTH), and way more uncomfortable.

My views could change either way as the miles and, more importantly, mods add up!
Old 07-06-2008, 01:57 PM
The Doc
Squid

Also...

The po-lice don't like the RC
Old 07-23-2008, 11:10 AM
SuperSport

Yesterday was my first time out on the Superhawk in a month (since the track). Have you ever been out riding and gotten in the "zone"? That's what the Superhawk just did to me. I wanted to keep going, all day long. The RC51 does not have that effect. When the RC sells, I'd like to get another Superhawk to preserve and ride in a few years, plus have money in my pocket.

For those of you who don't like the suspension and brakes, set your suspension up properly for yourself even if you need stiffer springs. I've ridden a few Superhawks and none of them felt anywhere close to mine, they actually feel like completely different bikes. F4i brakes will be on it soon to fix that problem.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Squid

DimSTriple is on a distinguished road
You really cannon compare the rc51 with superhawk, the only common those bikes have is that they both have a V twin engine and nothing more.
RC51 is a real superbike without the race kit, you cannot judge the abilities of the rc unless you already are a good and demanding rider
Superhawk is the bike that can do 99% of everything you will ask but not perfect, this is Honda and Superhawk is what CBR600F was but with a twin engine.
It's easier to learn going fast with a superhawk because the bike will help you go fast, it wont get up an hit you like the rc if do a mistake but will help you keep the line and stay on your wheels.

RC is the bike for those who want the last of the real superbikes honda made, the bike that will help them go a little faster and not learn to go fast. RC has an unbelievable engine capable of passing 150hp at the back wheel with minimum changes, what it needs is a good pair of hands, setup the suspentions and go.

Superhawk is the bike that can do anything. It will help you learn, it will help you tour with you woman, it will even get you to a club racing event (with the proper changes)... far a better bike than the rc, unless you know exactly well what you want, you want a real HRC bike

I hope my English were understandable
Old 07-24-2008, 05:55 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
Yesterday was my first time out on the Superhawk in a month (since the track). Have you ever been out riding and gotten in the "zone"? That's what the Superhawk just did to me. I wanted to keep going, all day long.
I had one particular ride that stands out in my mind. I had ridden to Laguna Seca with a group. I watched the 2nd WSB race, when Colin Edwards beat up on Troy Bayliss on his way to dominating the rest of the season and winning the championship.

I had my riding gear ready and trotted over to my bike for the 6 hour solo ride home - had to be at work on Monday. I split lanes with the masses and got over the hill to the dreadful San Joaquin valley and cruised straight across to the Sierra foothills. I got on Hwy 49 as the sun was setting and had about 50 miles of the best twisting road in the world with no traffic.

I was riding along and was just overwhelmed with this unbelievable feeling of ecstasy. Squirting between corners. Braking, turning in, squirting out of the next one. I got home about 10 PM with a buzz that lasted for two days! That was the ride that got me fully obsessed. so I guess the buzz lasted longer than I thought.

There have been many other fantastic rides since then, but that one will always stand out.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
police dont like the super hawk with d&d's either, i love my superhawk, wouldnt have ne thing else for riding roads but been savin for a rc51 for a track bike or goin to mountains i love the way a rc51 feels, they re way better at high speeds than low but when do u really go slow?
Old 07-26-2008, 05:50 PM
SuperSport

Speaking of mountains...Finally had a chance to take the RC51 to the mountains today. It was about 350 miles total, very uncomfortable, my knees were getting very sore from being bent so tight and my leathers weren't helping plus it was pushing 90 degrees. Other than me being a whiney baby the freakin RC was amazing! We were on a spirited ride on roads I normally take the 'Hawk on and the RC just wanted to go faster and faster, very stable, planted and haulin ***. Now I'm reconsidering selling it as long as I can afford to keep it.
Overall I would rather be on the 'Hawk though. That's an all around performer. It sure is nice to be able to sacrifice comfort for pure performance every now and then.
Oh and I just added the Stomp Grip traction pad which helped out a lot, I'm gonna start calling it the Thighmaster now. Feel the burn!
Old 07-26-2008, 07:02 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Check out this vid for a comparo....
I just ran against my friends RC on the dyno drags today (7-26) @ Carlisle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_d-DWHs6W4
Old 07-26-2008, 07:19 PM
SuperSport

Dude, that was awesome! What were the top speeds? Any performance mods to either bike? (jetting, PCIII, gearing, etc.)
What were the weights of each bike?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:32 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I don't want to
I'll post the link on a new one and answer your question there!
Old 07-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Squid

996er is on a distinguished road
I crossed paths with an RC-51 on my way to work one day. The RC-51 is fuel injected and stock has around 130 HP, my hawk is carbd and has about 110hp. THis thing was fast but he didnt lose me that bad... he had a highmount exhaust so he was probably more around 140 horses with a jet kit etc... We were back and forth between clumps of traffic averaging 100mph - 140mph but he wasnt pushing it too hard at 7am traffic. Id take one. haha.