General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Superhawk top 15 mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:05 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Superhawk top 15 mods

Just would like to see what the forum thinks would be the top 15 mods for the hawk. have to go end of lunch right now but I will think of my 15 and when I come back I will see what the rest of you guys think. This forum has helped me more than onetime on the hawk and I would like to take the time to thank all of you for your input to the forum. so here it is

THANK YOU !!!

Thomas
Old 12-17-2010, 04:43 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
for me its basically in my sig. brakes and suspension being at the top. the stock headlight was complete junk so a bi xenon projector setuip is top 3 aswell. im sure if tweety chimes in he can list off the top 500 as hes done

but id say
brakes
front suspension
headlight
jet kit
exhaust
etc
Old 12-17-2010, 05:27 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
im sure if tweety chimes in he can list off the top 500 as hes done
I honestly doubt I could hit 500 mods, but 100 would probably be easy as long as I can figure them all out...

I am having severe problems making it a list of 15 specific mods though, so I'll cheat and give a Top 10 of non-specific types of mods instead, if that's all right...

1. Suspension - Front & Rear, and everything inbetween including geometry changes ie swingarm & fork...
2. Brakes - stopping only becomes usefull when you are on the road, making it second on the list...
3. Light & Visibility - seeing the road is useful, doesn't matter if it's a HID projector or EasternBeaver harness and a good bulb... And once I can see other people, I prefer if they don't hit me by accident... LED brakelight mod and mirror mounted indicators are my top picks... Also avoid rear integrators as they are mostly useless...
4. Comfort - meaning seat, footpegs and bars... Adjustable is nice...
5. Useability - controls, gauges and similar... The stock control pods were stupid... So is having gauges that doesn't include a clock...

That is my top 5... Those are the important ones... Next follows a few that are somewhat important...

6. Ease of use - Rear stand spools and waterproof quick disconnects on all electronics are a couple of examples...
7. Reduce weight - Why on earth Honda chose to put wheels made of granite on this bike I have no idea, and once they where at it, they added a bit more ballast to other areas as well...
8. Protect your investment - Crash protectors and other delrin bit's keep me from buying stuff I like more than once...
9. Povah! - Once we have the basics done, let's add some coals to the fire... (Yeah, it's this far down on my list, really...)
10. Bling-bling... Yeah, there are actually some bling-bling bits on my bike... Not very many, but they are there if you look closely...

As for specific mods... Top of my list is the new fork and brakes... The HID and the Sargent saddle comes next...

Last edited by Tweety; 12-17-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:48 AM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Superhawk specific I gotta say EXHAUST!!!! The sound is too unbelievable to be restricted by the stock cans. Iv'e done alot of other things, but the aftermarket exhaust is still probably my favorite. Suspension deff. after that
Old 12-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Manual CCT's and finned RR's should top the list. Everything else is gravy.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:01 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Come now, VTR owners are not modders......
Old 12-17-2010, 08:13 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Come now, VTR owners are not modders......
nope, not at all, we are diagnosed OCMD sufferers.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
For the cheapskates:
1. Change R/R
2. +2 on the rear sprocket
3. Debaffle and rejet with keihin jets
4. Stronger front fork springs
5. Fork brace
As budget and riding skill allow:
6. Revalve front forks
7. Rear shock
8. Brakes
9. Exhaust slipons
10. Sporty tyres
Once OCMD has set in:
11. Front end swap
12. Swing armswap
13. Hp mods
14. Bling
Old 12-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well I would go with most of Tweety"s list but I would find someplace to add lightening the flywheel.

It just revs so much nicer.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
damm. Stumpy must have eaten something real bad for lunch?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Back Marker

Karbon is on a distinguished road
1-12 suspension.
13 r/r
14 CCT
15 everything else.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:45 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
No just buzy with snow and work and family for the holidays dont get much time. But I pop in on my phone with down time just to much to write anything with it. takes forever. The gf is off of work and seems to be on the computer when I want it. She has been wanting a lot of my time and i am giving it to her. Then I will hit her up with my list of new mods for the bike and the cost of each. Tax time soon. Lol.

I will make something up today and send it back I like all the things that have been said and have done most of them. now with the new connectors and such I have to go back and refine them so it looks more like factory.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:44 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
well, It's good to hear that you haven't poisoned or otherwise delivered some malady upon yourself. As far as offering suggestions, all we need here is a little reinforcement and we'll keep on keeping on with the mods until you and your SH is the very best they can be.haha

those mods already put forth pretty much cover the essentials in terms of your numerical constraints of top 15, but there are so many variables when you consider other factors, like what can realistically be approved by the gf. haha

Personally, my mod list is comprised of firstly what is needed to keep the bike going like RR and CCTs; then it moves to making the suspension work as best it can according to my financial allowance, which turned out to be JDs modded F4i shock and RT springs with Roger Ds internal mods resulting in more ground clearance and better handling. SS brake lines and good pads have added increased capacity in terms of controlling speed.

Bafflectomy and concomitant air/fuel adjustments, TPS , etc., have brought increased performance, torque, smoothness, and lovely, visceral, musical sounds which arguably enhances the riding experience immeasurably.

My mod preferences differ from many I believe because I place a lot lot lot of emphasis on reducing unsprung weight. Consequently, lighter wheels and tires, 520 chain and alum sprocket pay more benefits for me than many other mods because the effects are all-encompassing. The physics of reduced unsprung weight enable improved braking, acceleration, turning, handling, and overall smoothness with minimal chassis upset. The amount of weight that has to hit bumps, and then has to bounce back. The amount of weight which is spinning when accelerating/decelerating, turning and transitioning vastly influences overall compliance, stability, and basically overall chassis competence.

That said, in actual fact, all the mods in the world can't make a lousy rider good. A good rider on a goldwing can embarass a poor, even mediocre, rider on an R1 when it comes to carving out the twisties. The point is that some choose to believe that having all the trick mods automatically makes them the fastest, best or whatever superlative they aspire to; and fortunately, this is most often an indulgence in self-illusion.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
I would go for safety and reliability first;
1: CCT
2: R/R
3: Brakes and SS lines
4: Lights
5: Pipes (for added safety due to sound)

The rest are as mentioned gravy for extra fun.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
There is a reason those things aren't on my list... That's not mods... That's maintainance...
Old 12-21-2010, 10:07 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Tweety specifically mentioned it, but didn't see it elsewhere - The seat! if you weigh more than 190lbs and/or regularly ride more than 70miles at a time, do yourself a favor and get a Sargent.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Run's this town!
Squid

Boxer Man is on a distinguished road
If anyone can reccomend any other ideas to get increased power, lighten the bike up a bit, or any other safety ideas please add on or PM me. Gearing is not something that I'm looking into. I've already got a two brothers carbon fiber exhaust from when I bought the bike. Yes, I've stolen some of the ideas, (word for word) from you all. I have not done any mod's myself, only what came with my Hawk, which can be seen below. These are planned for the future.

Safety/Protection
Headlights (High powered LED lights both low/hi beams)
Frame Sliders
LED Wheel Glow/underbody glow (I just like the looks)

Lightening Weight
Wheels and new tires
Brake rotors / pads
Flywheel

Performance and Power
New Carbs: Debaffle and rejet
Sparkplugs
Air Filter
Tune

Last edited by Boxer Man; 03-20-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:42 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Stock is just fine by me........
Old 04-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
1. Upgrade brake lines and pads
2. Shock replacement and fork work
3. Exhaust cans and jet kit
4. Heli-bars and seat upgrade
5. Though I have Dymags, I wouldn't recommend them due to the cost. They make a noticeable difference on handling, it's just that $2k could be better spent... IMHO.