General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Superhawk New Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Squid

VTRFan is on a distinguished road
Smile Superhawk New Owner!

Hey all, just wanted to say im glad to see a good forum deicated to the ole' VTR. Had a coulpe of questions regarding a 98' hawk i just picked up. It was owned by a friend of mine who's dad is big into bikes and has a couple; Yamaha V-Max, Ducati S4RS, and what i just purchased, his 98 Superhawk with full Micron Exhaust, Jet Kit, and some sprocket work. The bike currently has 28,000 miles and has had all factory recommended maintenance done but still needs a little TLC,the bike is clean but im really picky about my stuff. Was curious if anyone had any recommendations on things i should go through to make sure the bike is mechanically sound or items they would change, or recommend. I just want to run through the bike myself to learn about it and was just curious if there were any specific areas i should target. Im in college and so i have to watch my budget but i have owned dirtbikes, ATV's and so i can probably do the work myself. I love this bike want to keep it running for as long as possible...also, how hard is it to remove and replace the clutch, it needs a new one...Thanks!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
You may want to get opions on they type of oil folks use...It is cruicial!! and then the type of tires...rubber is cheaper than plastic...
Old 06-18-2007, 11:26 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Only two real issues with the SH.

One is the R/R or Voltage Regulator (depends on who is describing it) you want either a newer finned version, or convert to a Yamaha or GSXR one. I haven't heard of major damage if you wait for your stock one to fail, but if I had known about this issue I would have replaced mine before I got stranded in the desert.

The other is the CCTs (cam chain tensioners) the stock auto ones eventually fail destroying the engine. How long they last varies, some people have only gotten 10k out of theirs, others 50k+ on stockers. Either way, you want to get APE manual CCTs. (I have yet to do this on mine, and I have 50k miles on it, so I need to do it soon, as I think I can hear the front one clacking)

Other than that, it is a reliable beast. There is suspension work you can do to improve the ride etc. but none of that is failure prone, just that there is better stuff out there these days.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Squid

Thats for sure...Ive heard the oil makes the world of difference (obviously) which may even answer my question of whether or not the clutch is worn. My only way of telling at this point is that it will no longer do wheelies. I used to roll to about 45 in 2nd, blip the throttle and clutch and up she went and then continue through a clutchless upshift to 3rd and then land smoothly with that refreshing "chirp" of the front tire. Now when i do that, all you here is a "slipping" noise and about 6 inches of lift, as well as you can feel it slip. As for the tires, its got the D208's on it now but it had some BT-012's on it previously, both were great. Ive been riding the bike for a while but my friends dad finally decided to sell it to me. Thanks a ton for the response!!
Old 06-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Squid

Thanks lazn, i wonder if i can find one on ebay and just swap it quickly, and for the CCT's i probably should just go ahead and do that, better safe than sorry, how much do CCT's usually run? and is it something i should have a mechanic do..or can i do it myself?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:07 PM
MotoGP

Well here are the instructions for changing the CCT's yourself:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=5510
So if that looks like something you can do, save your self the cash. As for the cost, I think on ebay APE cct's run ~50 each. Not sure as I have yet to get mine.

As for the R/R here are the directions for putting a R1 unit on it: http://vtr1000f.wickidnet.com/
or you can buy a newer Honda version from ebay or wherever if you prefer.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Squid

Awesome, that will help a lot, thanks for taking the time to get me some solid information that i can use !!!
Old 06-18-2007, 12:40 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Back Marker

spdrcr is on a distinguished road
Here is a link to the guy I bought mine from. This is about the best price you will find and he will also sell you the gaskets needed for installation. Follow the directions in the knowledge base carefully and get yourself a manual. The factory manual can be downloaded from the knowledge base. Oh yeah, don't drop any bolts into the crankcase .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/APE-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Matt
Old 06-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Squid

I was curious as to what kind of oil you all like to run? There are so many to choose form and Im picky, i run all synthetic in my silverado and my ATV, i probably wont switch to synthetic now because the motor is probably to far along and would cause more trouble than anything?? maybe im wrong, but just curious..also anyone have any info on a superhawk Clutch and how much and how hard they are to replace? Thanks spdrcr for your help!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
You can change to synthetic at any time in the bike's life. Anything else you've heard is a wive's tale. As long as you get an oil that is non-energy conserving (look at the label on the back) then you should be okay. The slippery additives in energy conserving oils are not good for wet clutches. Personally I use Mobil 1 15-w50. It's a super oil, not too expensive, and readily available, though easier to find in 4-5qt jugs down south where it's hotter.

BTW, KickenChicken's original post about the oil was sarcastic and meant as bait for the newbie. You bit. Congratulations. You have been initiated!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:59 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
You mean we don't have to go on for three hundred posts about YOUR oil? I don't mean to drop names how about oil filters next - God I need a vacation! The fish are calling!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Hook, line, sinker....Man I suck...LMAO...Oh, and welcome to the Fold!
Old 06-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Squid

Smile

All right you all got me....I guess its official, i took one for the team!!.....and thanks for the oil info I think i will switch to the Mobil 1, thats what i use in my truck.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRFan
All right you all got me....I guess its official, i took one for the team!!.....and thanks for the oil info I think i will switch to the Mobil 1, thats what i use in my truck.
That is what I use...used to be the jug with the gold cap, now I think they all have the gold cap...oh well, read the jug....Bonus: Check out the thread on the supertech filter..can't remember the number off the top of my head...$2.30 at walmart, they are cheap, work great, and availible at all walmart stores...NEXT
Old 06-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Squid

Yeah, supertech is a filter a lot of people don't know about, they are actually a lot more effecient than the FRAM and others alike, that is what i use on my pick-up. Im curious? how much are the upgraded springs and valves for the front fork?? It is a bit soft and would like to make it better.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
welcome, you can't go wrong with the SuperHawk unless it came in Black, Red, Blue, Gray/silver, or White.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:09 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Sgt Rock
welcome, you can't go wrong with the SuperHawk unless it came in Black, Red, Blue, Gray/silver, or White.
Yellow forever!!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Old 06-19-2007, 10:06 PM
MotoGP

Filter number for the deep one is 7317. Requires modest trimming of the lower chin fairing to make it happen. Man I'm dumping my oil out of the motorcycles and putting it into oil cans to use on the wheelbarrows and nursery carts. The stuff goes in clear - comes out slightly amber. Just what oil guys like. Lube should never be an issue with these types of machines. If you've worked around hi perf engines then you know what some of them sound like. Each has it's own note but none of them are banging and puking. If it can't idle it can't get into the race and if it can't idle it will be a piece of **** at the other end of the pedal as well. Oil does different things to different engines and if you own enough of them and work on all the them, then you know what I mean. These guys mess with new guys because these threads do get out of hand. Chin up it only gets worse!
Old 06-19-2007, 10:13 PM
MotoGP

There it is! Thread number 1200 and in a ******* oil thread at that. OK you can send over the guy with the lead ball on a chain with the spikes sticking out of it. It's time for a week at the beach with the fish, the kid, and the laptop - no, the one that wears the bikini!