General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Suggestions for the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Squid

Willyjaman is on a distinguished road
Suggestions for the bike?

I'm new to the forum. I've recently purchased a 1998 SH. The 98 SH was the first bike I ever owned or rode for that matter. It made me love two wheels and I've been passionate about the street ever since. I sold my SH several years ago and wished I hadn't once it was gone. I now have another 1998 that needs some attention.
It is torn down to just the motor and I'm looking for suggestions on what things to do to it while I put it back together. I've gotten a few things here and there but nothing major. I'm trying to make it a budget bike. That being said please keep the " wish lists" practical. I'm just wondering what you would have done differently and why.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:45 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Greetings

1) Manual CCTs
2) Upgrade the R/R
3) Respring front forks
Old 12-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wicky
Greetings

1) Manual CCTs
2) Upgrade the R/R
3) Respring front forks
Agree with Wicky these are first.

Then:

4) Sargent or Corbin seat
5) Frame sliders
Old 12-13-2013, 02:00 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome, *****. Where are you located?

First thing we need to know is what your budget is! And how aggressive you are behind the bars.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:17 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, after the CCT's and R/R I'd work on suspension. After the first two it will come down to preference and mechanical abilities and budget.

Personally I'm totally fine on the stock seat and I don't like sliders .
Old 12-13-2013, 02:54 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Brakes, a budget mod that works well for me is CBR600F4i calipers and braided lines.

These are available on Flea Bay at very reasonable prices and are easy to fit.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:34 PM
MotoGP

I had that exact reply typed out kenmoore, but if ***** isn't an aggressive rider, a brake upgrade isn't necessary, IMHO. + a cbr1k fork swap would already give that advantage, depending on what kind of budget we're working with.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:26 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
I had that exact reply typed out kenmoore, but if ***** isn't an aggressive rider, a brake upgrade isn't necessary, IMHO. + a cbr1k fork swap would already give that advantage, depending on what kind of budget we're working with.
+1 Agree, I would ad maybe the shim for the rear shock, but then again, it is a preference item.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:24 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Yeh I take that on board.

I came of Ducati and Aprillia and the bikes brakes were a major concern to me so I see brakes as a priority.

I am still thinking of a fork swap as well and if that happens I will onsell my brakes and recoup the money.

One thing that I would recomend doing is to set the sag on the bike to enable fettling of the suspension, and defo fit the shock shim.

A change of fork oil etc wouldnt hurt either.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Squid

Willyjaman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Welcome, *****. Where are you located?

First thing we need to know is what your budget is! And how aggressive you are behind the bars.
I'm located just south of Salt Lake City. I'm not that aggressive on the bike but I've never been to a track either. If I were to go out to Miller Motorsports Park I'm sure my riding style would dramatically change. I tend to be conservative on the street as I value my life and it's not a controlled environment. My budget always changes because I do contract work and money comes and goes!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:59 PM
MotoGP

Cam chain tensioners and the regulator/rectifier are the 2 things you should address or they will likely bite you in the ***.

That being said, I think stock brakes will serve you well with a set of good pads and stainless lines. I would say spend the money getting the forks sorted first. This was the single biggest upgrade I have done to my Hawk. The spring swap is easy, but you should go ahead and do the valves while you are in there. If you want expert suspension advice, Jamie is one of our greatest assets. Send him a message and he will hook you up.

Last edited by Wolverine; 12-16-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:12 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
FWIW, I have no issue with the factory brakes on the hawk. They feel a little soft, but they get the bike stopped in a hurry, I ride aggressively but I'm not racing the bike and they get the job more than done for me. They are enough to lock the tire or lift the rear wheel. And i still have the rubber lines and have EBC pads (the stock type not the HH sintered)

I agree though, CCTs, R/R (which I still need to do myself) A proper front spring is probably the best bang for the buck preformance mod you can do if you don't plan on doing a front end swap.

I'm looking into the Dan-Moto adjustable rear sets for my bike. I also have the corbin seat and heli bars and the bike is quite comfortable, but I have a bad hip and the angle of the foot pegs is in just the right spot to aggravate it, I'm hoping adjustable rear sets would allow me to find a more comfortable position.. a little up or a little down would make it fine, they are just in the perfect spot to make me hurt on longer journeys.

It really all depends on your preferences and what you would like to do to the bike. There are a lot of worthwhile mods and add ons out there for the bike. I'm quite impressed with the array of add ons for a bike thats not been manufactured for as long as the hawk. There aren't as many aftermarket options for the YZF600R that was introduced a year earlier and manufactured until the end of 07