General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New (used) bike suggestions

Old 01-16-2009, 04:58 PM
  #1  
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Thread Starter
 
Kendrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 467
Kendrick is on a distinguished road
New (used) bike suggestions

I'm thinking about buying another (additional) bike for spring. I'm still in the process of rebuilding my hawk. It's one degree here right now so nothing is happening soon. I'm thinking i'll buy a VFR in spring as my main commuter bike. I've got about 50 miles round trip, and wouldn't mind a bike with longer legs. At the same time the hawk isn't worth enough to sell to me, especially after finishing a top end rebuild. Any suggestions on something other than a VFR or reasons I should be weary of one?
Kendrick is offline  
Old 01-16-2009, 05:47 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
Hotbrakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 714
Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Hmmmm....nope, can't think of anything better than a VFR unless you get say a 5th generation, then its arguable that the only better bike would be a 6th generation or vice versa. A very versatile bike with an engine that growls and howls. Mine's set up for touring with heated grips, bags, power outlet, etc. and it's my year 'rounder. 'Hawk is for fair weather, 500 miles or less. VFR does everything else and is hard to get off when I reach my destination. Perfect combination of bikes IMO.

Name:  IMG_0672.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  50.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0560.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  80.7 KB

And it still gets my knee down on the track.
Hotbrakes is offline  
Old 01-16-2009, 06:46 PM
  #3  
RK1
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Way Out West
Posts: 2,547
RK1 is on a distinguished road
Here you go. Get a classic.
Attached Thumbnails New (used) bike suggestions-1974-yamaha-tx500-blue-5954-6.jpg  
RK1 is offline  
Old 01-16-2009, 07:17 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
nuhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 4,138
nuhawk is on a distinguished road
That's a beauty!
nuhawk is offline  
Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
nuhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 4,138
nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Maybe a Honda ST? Or a Triumph Sprint ST Great bikes.
nuhawk is offline  
Old 01-16-2009, 08:05 PM
  #6  
Honducati
SuperSport
 
jbaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 809
jbaxx is on a distinguished road
The VFR is an excellent motorcycle. Well balanced, versatile and the V-4 is a gem. Buy one.
jbaxx is offline  
Old 01-16-2009, 08:21 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
cliby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MN
Posts: 1,547
cliby is on a distinguished road
50 miles round trip? so many options. here's another classic you should think about - no shifting to worry about either and a hopped up engine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=330300638522
cliby is offline  
Old 01-16-2009, 08:28 PM
  #8  
Member
Squid
 
grasshoppermouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MI
Posts: 50
grasshoppermouse is on a distinguished road
maybe not better than vfr but cheap & easy to find 750 nighthawk 91-03

It is air/oil cooled so stop & go traffic might be a deal breaker.

I have one and the wife loves the level cushy seat. I love that it is bulletproof and fool proof.

the vtr is the best grunt sportbike for the $

the nighthawk is tough to beat as a logical commuter for the $.
grasshoppermouse is offline  
Old 01-17-2009, 03:46 AM
  #9  
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Thread Starter
 
Kendrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 467
Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by grasshoppermouse View Post
maybe not better than vfr but cheap & easy to find 750 nighthawk 91-03

It is air/oil cooled so stop & go traffic might be a deal breaker.

I have one and the wife loves the level cushy seat. I love that it is bulletproof and fool proof.

the vtr is the best grunt sportbike for the $

the nighthawk is tough to beat as a logical commuter for the $.
With out a doubt the nighthawk is great for getting around, but it just doesn't do it for me. There's no "wow" factor on a nighthawk. It's just the most practical motorcycle out there. That's why I lean toward a VFR. That being said is there a year of VFR to look for? Is the 800 really that much better than the 750? Money is obviously a factor, I have too many vehicles already. I'm thinking a late 90's model.
Kendrick is offline  
Old 01-17-2009, 03:57 AM
  #10  
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Thread Starter
 
Kendrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 467
Kendrick is on a distinguished road
My third motorcycle will be vintage. I used to have a 72 CB350, which I loved for what it was. I'm thinking a RD350 or Mach 1 this time, but I've got a hawk to rebuild and a commuter bike to shop for first. I've got a history with honda though. My hawk replaced a 88 hurricane 600, which replaced a 85 magna which replaced my 350. There was a 82 yamaha seca 650 turbo in there too. It was unreliable, but it was a turbo. So honda first, yamaha second. It's not easy living in Harley town.
Kendrick is offline  
Old 01-17-2009, 04:01 AM
  #11  
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Thread Starter
 
Kendrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 467
Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hotbrakes View Post
Hmmmm....nope, can't think of anything better than a VFR unless you get say a 5th generation, then its arguable that the only better bike would be a 6th generation or vice versa. A very versatile bike with an engine that growls and howls. Mine's set up for touring with heated grips, bags, power outlet, etc. and it's my year 'rounder. 'Hawk is for fair weather, 500 miles or less. VFR does everything else and is hard to get off when I reach my destination. Perfect combination of bikes IMO.




And it still gets my knee down on the track.
By the way, that looks like what I'm looking for. I could take all my crap to work comfortably. But too new for my budget. I'm spread too thin in the vehicle budget right now. Maybe a 98 or so?
Kendrick is offline  
Old 01-17-2009, 03:03 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
Hotbrakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 714
Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
98-01 is the 5th gen. 800cc, fuel injected, gear driven cams. More sport oriented than tour but a very capable touring machine still. I've been seeing a lot of them for less than $4k.
Hotbrakes is offline  
Old 01-17-2009, 03:51 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
bowhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: canada
Posts: 151
bowhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kendrick View Post
My third motorcycle will be vintage. I used to have a 72 CB350, which I loved for what it was. I'm thinking a RD350 or Mach 1 this time, but I've got a hawk to rebuild and a commuter bike to shop for first. I've got a history with honda though. My hawk replaced a 88 hurricane 600, which replaced a 85 magna which replaced my 350. There was a 82 yamaha seca 650 turbo in there too. It was unreliable, but it was a turbo. So honda first, yamaha second. It's not easy living in Harley town.
Seca 650 Turbo was my first street bike. I bought almost new for 2500 off a shady dude but the title was clear. They went for 6200 up here in Canada. I blew the second gear shift fork and it would slip into neutral when the turbo hit. What a great all around bike for the time. Comfortable but not unwilling to go. Cheers
bowhawk is offline  
Old 01-17-2009, 05:35 PM
  #14  
Fastest Color
SuperBike
 
FL02SupaHawk996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lithia, FL
Posts: 2,091
FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Kendrick, I ride 90-100 miles round trip commute to work on my 02 SH and wouldn't even think of needing another bike

Do some mods if you want more comfort cuz the SH's abilities are nearly limitless...RC
FL02SupaHawk996 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Willyjaman
General Discussion
11
12-16-2013 06:12 PM
smack doogle
Everything Else
26
10-18-2008 11:49 PM
mfast1
Classifieds
1
08-27-2008 12:08 PM
Otto Man
Everything Else
5
06-04-2008 02:25 PM
Shmittay
General Discussion
7
05-25-2007 05:18 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New (used) bike suggestions


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:38 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands