General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Storage of your bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:45 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Storage of your bike

I have a cousin , called me (he lives in IL) and is going to leave the USA for a couple of years. He is leaving the bike in a dry, concrete floor garage.
What is the best way to leave the Fuel tank - Full of Fuel (with an additive), or Empty?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Back Marker

kj4kym is on a distinguished road
ive always left mine full over the winters and stuff just to get rust down, it shouldn't rust if it has no air

Last edited by kj4kym; 08-15-2010 at 09:06 AM. Reason: forgot somthing
Old 08-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Either fill the tank, close the petcock, drain the carbs... Or drain it completely and leave the lid open... Both should work fine... Half full is a decidedly bad idea though...

Also unhook the battery and stick the bike on stands... That way you keep the tires from going completely out of shape... Wouldn't ride them after storing the bike for years (really years?), but good enough to get to a shop and have them replaced...
Old 08-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
Wink

tell him to bring it to your house so you can ride and keep it running well
Old 08-15-2010, 08:32 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the feedback, Fnny How we think alike. Told him " I would be glad to keep the tires on his bike round, While he was gone." HaHa
Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I guess it could be stored dry and void of fuel. The best way would be to leave the fuel tank open with a rag in the neck to allow it to breathe and so that nothing gets in it. I dont know, I guess I wouldn't store it that long but I understand why he must.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:25 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
id prefer to drain it. modern fuel gets gummy and i dont know how long a stabilizer will keep the fuel good for.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:02 AM
Squid

stevewarne is on a distinguished road
Full!

Also, always use Sta-Bil in it. I do it to motorcycles even in the winter.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:59 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
This was written for winter storage

But it still all applies

Exterior Preparation
Clean the entire bike with a mild detergent and water. Avoid directly spraying bearings and seals as to not force water into them. If you use a pressure wash, be VERY careful of this. If possible, start and ride the bike to evaporate any water trapped in the motor and drag your brakes to dry them as much as possible. Clean your chain with a bristled brush and mild degreaser, such as most household dish soaps. Liberally spray your clean chain with WD-40 (Water Displacement 40th Attempt) and wipe off the excess with a shop rage. Finish the process with your favorite spray chain lube. If you have an o-ring chain, make sure to use o-ring safe lube. While you’re still in lube mode, take your WD-40 and spray down the foot peg pivots, kick start pivot, folding shifter pivot and lever pivots. When doing this, it’s a good time to inspect brake pads, suspension linkage, chain and sprockets and such for wear. If your motorcycle is equipped with grease zerk fittings, go ahead and give them a few squirts of quality grease. Lastly, air up the tires to spec.

Fuel System
There are different methods of winterizing fuel systems, but these are the methods I prefer, having had good luck with them throughout my lifetime. If your bike has a steel fuel tank, it’s very important to fill it to the brim with fuel. Filling the tank completely will stop it from rusting, which is a major issue in some areas. Plastic fuel tanks are more forgiving, but keeping it full will minimize the formation of condensation. Fuel stability is another concern, as most fuels begin to breakdown after about 60 days. I prefer to fill the tank with race fuel. In contrast to pump fuels, race fuels can be left for longer periods of time and will not turn to varnish. The alternative is a product called Sta-Bil. Many people use this product with good results and it is a safe bet when race fuel isn’t available. Once the fuel has been stabilized, start the motorcycle and let the fuel circulate throughout the entire system.

Electrical System
I prefer to use a product called Battery Tender. It keeps the battery fully charged by using a float charge that keeps the battery peaked. Battery life has lot to do with the climate it’s stored in. If your bike is stored in an unheated area, remove the battery from the bike and store it in a heated a space. Basements, storeroom or a even a closet will work. Keeping the battery from freezing along with a Battery Tender or like product will keep the battery at its best.

Engine & Cooling System
A fresh oil change should be done before you store your bike. Dirty engine oil contains corrosive contaminates that you don’t want to leave in the engine over the winter. I also prefer to install a fresh spark plug at the same time. If you’re in a coastal region, a fogging oil should be applied through the spark plug hole also. The fogging oil will be available at some auto parts stores and definitely at boat/marine shops. With the spark plug out, shoot a few sprays down the spark hole and turn the motor over a few times. Once the fogging oil has been applied, install the fresh spark plug. The cooling system should also be prepared. You need to make sure that the coolant is up to spec. Fresh coolant is a good idea, but you can check the condition with a hydrometer that should be available at any auto parts store. With any motorcycle fluid, when in doubt change it. Besides engine fluids, the brake and clutch fluid (KTM or Magura Juice Clutch) should be topped off and replaced if there is any doubt. Brake fluid naturally draws moisture over time, so changing it before you store you bike each year is a good idea.

Storage Location
Now that your motorcycle has been prepared for storage, it’s time to choose a location. If you have the luxury of heated storage, all the better. The less you expose the motorcycle to extreme temperature fluctuations the better. Once the location has been chosen, I recommend putting the motorcycle up on a stand. Using a stand keeps the weight off the tires, eliminating the possibility of creating flat spots. This also allows the suspension to relax from the weight of the bike. If a stand is not option, using a piece of plywood to park the motorcycle on will keep the tires from dry rotting, sitting on a cold concrete floor. Once the motorcycle is situated, throw an old blanket or tarp over it. This will keep the dust to a minimum. If you are in a coastal region, skip on the cover. This may trap moisture under the cover, contributing to corrosion. In fact, coastal riders should also not be afraid to liberally apply WD-40 to the exterior of their motorcycle.

Next Spring
When the wonderful sights and smells of spring arrive, it’s time to ride! Since you did all the work when you stored your bike for the winter, spring start up will be a breeze. Install the battery if so equipped. Drain the carb float bowl to allow fresh gas from the tank in. Even though the fuel was stabilized, the small volume that is contained in the float bowl will deteriorate much quicker than the much larger volume in the tank. Double check all fluids and you may even consider changing the oil again if it was stored for an inordinate amount of time. Check the air pressure in the tires and your ready to fire it up. If you did your job correctly, the motorcycle should spring to life. Take a extra few minutes at warm to check for any fluid leaks or strange noises. If all is good, you’re ready to tear it up!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:21 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
+1 on full high-octane gas with Stabil, Marvel Mystery Oil in the spark plug hole and drain the carbs. Put wood blocks under the tires or put the bike on a stand. Plug up the tail pipes if you have mice. I once had a nice little family of critters living in my Trident's airbox.