Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Starting a bike out of long term storage.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Squid

KeithTurk is on a distinguished road
Starting a bike out of long term storage.

I bought a 1998 VTR that was in storage for several years. Pulled the carb's cleaned the jets and pilot jets... checked the diaphram petcock... re-attached it to the correct point on the back... ( thanks to you guys for that.. Yep I read up before I'm posting this )...

Bike still runs like ****....seems to idle okay.. won't accelerate easy and needs prodding and throttle tuning to get up any RPM.... pops... back fires... and genuinely runs like PO POO...

I don't have a small enough compression tester for this plug size... but I've sealed the rings with oil a couple of times and that helps... but hmmm

Help me Mr Wizard... cause I'm fix'n to Pitch this thing in the corner .
Old 01-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Squid

spark is good
Old 01-25-2014, 04:37 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
You completely disassembled the carbs and cleaned everything top to bottom? Did you do the air fuel screw?

You should check feul flow to the carbs out of the petcock. If you are not getting vacuum you will be starving for fuel & that sounds like what you have.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:27 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
if the carbs are anything like the yzf carbs sometimes it takes a second or third cleaning to get all the little jets (especially the pilot jets) properly cleaned. Even the gurus of the forum sometimes need to tear into the carbs a second time to get it right after sitting for so long.. I don't know why they are particularly hard to clean, but they are.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:33 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
i would check your air mixture and you may need to sync the carbs.
and i would think you got fresh gas in it,87 octane is all you need.
you may just have to let it run and get to full temp,make sure there is water in the cooling system.
not saying you didnt check,but when it gets warm,it may suck the water down,or what ever is left.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:40 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
+1 on cleaning again... actually some of the guys on here just buy new pilot jets as the holes in them are so small that they're not worth trying to clean (and pilots are relatively cheap)

Make sure your choke is working properly and not broken...
Old 01-26-2014, 03:19 AM
Squid

I hate to admit how many times I've had these apart... not completely apart.. just down to the Pilot and mains... so I'm fix'n to run down to the shop and do it One more time... then I'm going to look at Cam Timing... cause I'm beginning to suspect it's lost it's cam timing?

Any thoughts on what a bike sounds like with bad cam timing?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:12 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by KeithTurk
I hate to admit how many times I've had these apart... not completely apart.. just down to the Pilot and mains... so I'm fix'n to run down to the shop and do it One more time... then I'm going to look at Cam Timing... cause I'm beginning to suspect it's lost it's cam timing?

It sounds more like a carb issue, but you have to ask why the bike was in storage so long. Maybe the PO had a CCT let go. How many miles on the clock? Do you know any of the history of the bike? Does it have stock CCT's installed? Hopefully it's not the cam timing because if it gets far enough off the valves get trashed, but you probably know that.
If you have the ambition do check the cam timing for piece of mind, but a through carb rebuild is in order.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:27 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by xeris
It sounds more like a carb issue, but you have to ask why the bike was in storage so long.
This is exactly why I was thinking it would be worth it to triple check the carbs. It could be cam timing, but why would being in storage cause that? I'd start with the most likely cause and work backwards.

The next thought I had is that maybe your battery may be worn out, or possibly your coils, or may need new spark plugs. Something that it just sitting there would cause. There's a procedure in the manual to test your coils... Then I would start hunting around for vacuum leaks. That little petcock hose can get cracked, or the two carb seat boots need to be secured (especially if you've pulled the carbs; sometimes you can inadvertently damage one or not seat it correctly)

Last edited by 7moore7; 01-26-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
The next thought I had is that maybe your battery may be worn out, or possibly your coils, or may need new spark plugs. Something that it just sitting there would cause.
I agree, the rubber hose is cheap and I would buy some and go ahead and change it out after a bike has sat that long. my YZF had new hoses on it right before it was parked (dedicated race bike, was replaced with an R6) for 2 years before I got it. They were already dry rotted and cracked from sitting. $20 later all changed with enough left over to do the hawk as well (just fuel and vac lines)

Spark is a funny thing, you can think that you've got great spark outside the engine, problem is that spark is harder to jump under compression and just because you've got a good arc outside the cylinder, it does not mean you have good arc inside the cylinder. If the insulation in the spark plug has started to give up then you may not be getting spark inside the cylinder even though you've got good spark outside. As cheap as they are, again, its not a bad idea to just go ahead and get new plugs if its been sitting that long.

Testing the wires is easy and FUN! find a buddy you don't like so much or that you owe a punking too and ask him to hold on to the wires while you start the bike.. if he starts shaking his hand and cussing you've got a faulty boot or spark plug wire
Old 01-26-2014, 08:50 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by insulinboy
Testing the wires is easy and FUN! find a buddy you don't like so much or that you owe a punking too and ask him to hold on to the wires while you start the bike.. if he starts shaking his hand and cussing you've got a faulty boot or spark plug wire
Super fun! Especially when the buddy is yourself and you test it three times in a row before you realize that method of shocking yourself is a) not likely to be standard operating procedure and b) not likely to be healthy in the long run!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:31 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road

Certainly not the cam timing, I wouldn't go down that rabbit hole.

Clean the carbs again, I'm sure that's your problem. Take the idle mixture screws out and clean through those passages. The blockage will not be in the mains, and probably not the pilot jets either. The smallest passages are for the idle mixture so that is what will plug up first. Based on your description of how it is running that's what it sounds like to me.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Squid

where are the idle mixture screws again? ( I keep looking for this D shaped thing and can't really find it ).....

I'm a fairly competent mechanic... and I've known this bike a long time... the fella that had it, used it as a racer.... ( I'm just trying not to call him and say "WHATS going on here " he didn't say there was anything wrong with it when I bought it and I trust him to have said something.... he's a good dude... )

I've seen a tick of reversion while watching the carbs is what made me look at cam timing.... ( I did ride it on one and an occasional bit of two cylinders the other day.... but it was running really bad )
Old 01-27-2014, 12:46 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Under the carbs, have a close look, maybe use an extension mirror.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Here is a picture - the red arrow is pointing at the idle mixture screw (one on each carb). You'll want to pull that out completely. Be careful as there is a spring, washer, and oring under there too and you don't want to lose them. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Starting a bike out of long term storage.-vtrcarbs.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014, 07:42 PM
Squid

Cool.... I'll take that out tomorrow.... so where do I find a new throttle position sensor.... I broke mine tonight during assembly... ( cause I'm a freaking idiot )
Old 01-27-2014, 11:49 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Keith, eBay is your friend! Just don't buy the one that is listed for $140! There was one for $18 and change when I last checked. Just make sure it's the right part number before clicking BUY
Old 01-28-2014, 04:00 AM
Squid

I checked on Ebay and couldn't find one... have a reference part number for a 98 Throttle position sensor? ( they did have a full set of carbs that was tempting... )
Old 01-28-2014, 08:29 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
+1 on the fresh gas. Always assume you have a tank of sludge. I had an "incident" where on a 2000 mile trip I stopped for gas & got diesel.

A couple weeks later the new motor I put in had the same symptoms til I swapped gas tanks.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:46 AM
Squid

JOE.... DUDE... don't own that all the way... I've done exactly that before with a car.... Older.. worn out... stopped and got gas... ( the pump handles weren't colored.... ) and put Diesel in it... Gave me the opportunity to swap out the motor for a new one I had.... ( same issue... damn guess I better drain this funny smelling fuel)... whalla...

Life is good...
Old 01-29-2014, 02:46 AM
Squid

Still haven't found a throttle position sensor
Old 01-29-2014, 07:06 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Still haven't found a throttle position sensor
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...876/#post96413
Old 01-31-2014, 02:09 AM
Squid

That's a great article... I need to buy a Throttle position sensor because mine is broke... does anyone know where to do that other then Honda... ( I don't have one locally )
Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 AM
MotoGP

That's a hard part to come by as it is fairly well fastened to the carb frame and people don't remove it often. I broke mine when I first got the bike and the cheapest solution for me was to buy a set of used carbs.

Did you brake it by taking off the frame then bolting it together too hard before lining up the tabs?

Maybe put a want ad for the TPS off of someones carb frame, as a few people have multiple sets of carbs and probably aren't using that piece.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:00 AM
MotoGP

Or you can order a new one online:
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...m151424#sch518

Part #15
Old 01-31-2014, 07:49 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
1998 Honda Super Hawk 1000 VTR1000F Parts, 1998 Honda Super Hawk 1000 VTR1000F OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com
Old 02-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Squid

Yeah... I can't get any of those pages to load...

Yes I broke it cause I'm an IDIOT.... I simply didn't line up the tangs prior to bolting it together.... ( I sat there looking at it going.... Duhhh... Freaking Really? )

K
Old 02-03-2014, 05:25 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Yeah... I can't get any of those pages to load...

Yes I broke it cause I'm an IDIOT.... I simply didn't line up the tangs prior to bolting it together.... ( I sat there looking at it going.... Duhhh... Freaking Really? )

K
16060-MBB-680 SENSOR SET, THROTTLE $76.12

The Honda Part number is
16060-MBB-680
you can do a search for that as well

Last edited by E.Marquez; 02-03-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
So is it running yet?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:29 AM
Squid

it's not running yet... I broke the TPS last and have been waiting for the new one to arrive. I actually bought a set of carb's off ebay for the same price as the one TPS switch I found... if this one doesn't fix the issue then it's going to be something other then the carb's...

The I can get the bike to start and run at an idle on both cylinders, but the second I give it any gas at all it stumbles and falls on it's face... ( like it's cold )... I can milk the throttle and get it to a higher RPM but it sounds like poop....

That's it so far.... Carb's should be here today or tomorrow....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting a bike out of long term storage.