General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Sport-touring the VTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Sport-touring the VTR

Hey Folks
Just got back from a flying trip to Abilene Kansas from my home in Canada. Spent 5 1/2 days travelling 2926 miles or 4709 kms. (for the Canadian on the site). Spent 4 days taking a course on Brethren in Christ church history..Interesting..really!! Some specifics.. got 36.9 mpg average on the way down...pushed major winds all the way from home to Abilene..ran about 75-80 mph..all day everyday.. Got 44mpg on the way home with better winds..same speed...Funny how everything hurt on bad days into horrific winds...hands, neck, right knee, butt...around Hebron NE... I think I screamed into my fullface....I'm 59 yrs old...getting off bike at gas stops..a little painful..
About the bike...loved the roll on..exhaust noise (bafflectomy)..couldn't believe how well it handled the wind...in the Black Hills...man does thing ever handle.. I was flying..whhoohoo.Got a lot of comments at gas stops...used no oil..lubed chain 4 times..it did not stretch at all..used Belray..had a huge pile of luggage behind me as well as tank bag..
What I will change..Heli-bars...Sargent seat..use smaller boots...ran an Avon St 46 on back..installed Bridgestone BT 20 on the trip on front... Please note if you are ever in N. Western Nebraska and need bike help..Bauerkempers Honda 308-432-3592 in Chadron..Great folks..real bikers..one young guy rode 650 Hawk all tricked up..showed me picture of a naked VTR with Rad under seat cooled by two fans...
Conclusion... Love the Hawk..aches and all

Ride Safe
Dave
Old 05-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Squid

Jonny is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dave Wicks
Spent 5 1/2 days travelling 2926 miles or 4709 kms.....I'm 59 yrs old.....Conclusion.....Love the Hawk.....aches and all
Awesome...
Old 05-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
After I bought my 'Hawk, one of the things that surprised me was how good of a highway bike it is. Nice suspension (mine's an '03) and really good airflow / wind protection too! The riding position is a nice compromise between sport-tour and full-on sportbike.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:47 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice trip... for an old guy! (Hey, don't worry... I'm right behind you.) Lotta miles...
Old 05-21-2007, 02:02 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Milege wise, what was your longest day? I'm thinking of trying the 1000 miles in 24 hours thing when I get home. Mostly just to see if I can do it.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Back Marker

The Longest Day

The longest day was just under 600 miles. The weather was cool, biggest problem was the winds...had to hang on to bike all day...neck got sore againist a really vicious side wind...I was weary for sure..but not that bad..I go to the gym a fair bit..arms, neck muscles..need to be in shape for 1000 miles...fluids..energy foods..need to watch mental alertness..biggest thing is to hydrate properly..I never had one..but music or something might help the mind...Good luck be safe..

Dave
Old 05-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by drew_c14
Milege wise, what was your longest day? I'm thinking of trying the 1000 miles in 24 hours thing when I get home. Mostly just to see if I can do it.
What's that they say about great minds??????

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=5365
Old 05-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Squid

brownrxmd
longest day

1200 miles or so. on the 5th or 6th of june I'm riding from phoenix to the gap which is about 1900 miles a two day ride
Old 05-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Squid

khanawalt is on a distinguished road
You people are nuts. I LIKE the small tank. I get to hop off, maybe have a cigar. I wouldn't do a 600 mile day on my old GoldWing Interstate, and I'm not 50 yet. Guess I ride more for the pleasure than the guts & glory. Go ahead and enjoy it. I'll listen to the stories, but it won't make me want to experience it.

A few weeks ago I listened to a short presentation at a local motorcycle-themed (not Harley) coffee shop here, MotoHaus, by a guy who did Dakar as a privateer. That is borderline deathwish stuff. Very impressive, but am I envious? Not a chance.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:12 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah that sounds a bit much to me as well.

Dave Wicks - Do U have stock windscreen on bike? If yes, try a Zero Gravity - Sport Touring shield. For less than $100 its well worth it. Do U have a stock seat? I would think not.

I have not toured on mine yet, but looking forward to it. Most mileage for moi is about 325 in a day.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Nice write up Dave....I am looking forward to some serious miles next week...We'll see how she does...yeah, I mean how I does..LOL
Old 05-29-2007, 07:37 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I rode to Calgary and back (ovber two weeks), almost 10,000 km (or 6000 mi). My longest day was 1250 km (or about 750 mi) and boy was I glad to see it end! I definitely recommend the Helis and the Sargent seat. A taller windshield helps too. Heavy bar ends also help to reduce vibes through the bars. In short, there are more practical sport-touring mounts, but anyonw who tells you the VTR cannot be used in that capacity doesn't know what they're talking about.

Glad you enjoyed the ride

"the guy from Montreal" lol (just kidding!)
Old 05-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Back Marker

Sport-touring the VTR

I see some others have discovered the "pains". I have stock seat, stock bars, stock windshield..I have raised the stock bars about 1/2 ..just slid them up the tubes.. I'm 5'7' about 165, reasonable shape for 59. Not that concerned about windshield yet..heli-bars (or make my own this winter) and Sargent..or maybe install a jell-pad in stock pan...Got another road trip in about 5 weeks..There will be some mountain riding in this.. Found a new pain this past weekend.. Our church had a "Biker Blessing" service.. my wife road about 120 miles on the back..It was like doing a push-up with her on the back...She loves the sound and performance..but wasn't real comfy..ha..She's a good sport ..loves to ride. It's not the bike for long straight stuff..but it can do it.. It has a charm ..re-discovered every time you hear the motor pulling up or backing off...

Take Care
Dave
Old 05-29-2007, 08:48 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I turned superbling into a real ST bike: VFR tank (5.7gal), superbike handlebars, lower footpeg mounts, DB screen, NEP throttle lock, and a seat with sargent foam added. I did several 650 mile days with it and could go longer but then it becomes night riding which I don't like to do. A couple of 1600 mile weekends out to Big Bend were no problem with my setup.

I did two 400 milers on my first VTR (stock) 10 years ago and thought I was going to die! OK, not that bad but just a few changes from stock can make a world of difference.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Squid

thehandyman is on a distinguished road
I did 750 one day from charlotte NC to the GAP and beyond then back. then went 300 the next day with the old lady. That was before sreen or helis ectttt..... you'll have a blast. MP3 player realllly helps.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Pipe Bars & Fottpegs

superbike handlebars, lower footpeg mounts

Could you elaborate (again?) on these mods, I followed it originally but the risers you supposidly used are no longer available and U were not sure on the bars. I priced it DIY based on the risers, bars, brake & clutch lines, used top clamp plus other costs and found the Speigler kit is not that bad of a deal when one's time is considered. Also, what did you do with the pegs (Buell mod)?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:17 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
superbike handlebars, lower footpeg mounts

Could you elaborate (again?) on these mods,
Yes the original moose atv mounts I used are hard to find but you can get TAG dirt bike mounts for about $25 and a handlebar off ebay for $20. I didn't need additional brake/clutch lines but they were at the limit (re-routed). Remember, just as with the speigler kit, you'll have to trim fairings for this mod.

Below is a link to the second kit I made for my VFR but the process is the same. It also has a link to the superhawk mod (moose racing riser) but most of the off-site links now don't work. I'd go with ebay instead of parts411 anyway because they now have a minimum order.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...bike+handlebar

I'm now working on a third kit for my second VFR project bike (confused now?). It's using a TAG mount with a straighter type "drag" bar. It's very cool, IMO. If I can remember, I'll post a pic of it tonight when I get home.

On the lowered pegs mod, I used the middle exhaust mounts to thread footpegs mounts too. The newer buell mod is easier and probably cheaper but I prefer the looks and feel (rubber pegs) of mine. If you bought new parts for my mod, it would be very expensive. I sourced ebay (as usual). I didn't have stock rubber pegs which I wanted for this mod so that was an additional cost for me that others might not have to make.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...lower+footpegs
Old 06-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Hey, I'm with khanawalt on this one. My other bike is a winnebikeo ('01 goldwing) and my longest day on that was from Knoxville-Orlando or about 650 miles. Don't really care to ever go farther in a day. 'specially on the Hawk. I'll do about 100 miles on the Hawk, but that is painful enough. Granted, that's stock seat, bars, windscreen. Believe me, a new seat will be the next mod.