Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Sport Touring Tire?

Old 04-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Sport Touring Tire?

I know....not another tire thread!!!

It's that time again and I am trying to decide on a new set. I have always used Bt10/20 combination, but since the bt10 is discontinued I'll try another brand combination.

I spend most of my weekend riding in the backmountain twisties of PA and my weekdays commuting to work. I don't need bowling ball compound for mileage or pencil eraser for grip. Need something in between.

I've been thinking about Metzler or Avon, but am open to suggestions. I would like to see 5000 miles with a bit of life left. I don't do track days either. That is the wallet's choice not mine.

Please personal experiences only. Not what you heard or read.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Back Marker

icebud
Re: Sport Touring Tire?

I was also myself a BT010 / BT020 rider but since I've tried the Michelin Pilot Road, I'm now a fan of the "Bibendum" ( Michelin big guys, I don't know how to name him in english, sorry!! )

This is the second set I've now and with the first one, I do more than 15 000Km ( 9000 mi ) with the rear and more than 20 000Km ( 12 000 mi ) with the front, all this almost without any cupping!!

In my experience, Pilot road are better on the dry and even again better on the wet than the BT-020 and not so far away of the performance of the BT-010 on the dry! I make some "agressive" ( if I can say like this ) riding sometime and I'm still very impressed by them.

But, the first reason why I got them it's because I was tired to replace my tires every 5000 mi, thus I'm very satisfied of them! OK, they are more expensive but IMO they worth any penny more!

Cheers
Old 04-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Thanks. Especially helpful hearing from someone that used the 10/20 combination in the past.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Squid

twitcher
my last 2 sets were pirelli diablo corsa/front strada/rear, and i got the same mileage out of both, about 7000 when i hit the wear bars. i had the 014/020 combo before that and the mileage was great, but the front feathered badly and i never really had the confidence on them that the pirellis gave me. IMO you'd have a hard time finding a better tire for s/t than the stradas.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
I just bought an Avon Azaro AV45 front for mine. I haven't gotten it on yet, but if my buddy's testimonial is any indication I'll let you know how it does after about 15,000 miles (He said he got 20,000 out of his last rear AV46). I've got a nearly new BT 020 out back.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:24 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Stradas are great as well as the Pilor Roads for Grip and mileage. personally i would go with the stradas as they are more technologically advanced that the Michelins. but either is great.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Superstock

woodman
Originally Posted by Yardstick";p=&quot
I just bought an Avon Azaro AV45 front for mine. I haven't gotten it on yet, but if my buddy's testimonial is any indication I'll let you know how it does after about 15,000 miles (He said he got 20,000 out of his last rear AV46). I've got a nearly new BT 020 out back.
20,000 from a rear tire....he can't be serious!
Old 04-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
He does claim to ride like a "pansy" on an F4i
Old 04-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have a lot of experience with various brands of tires, but can tell you from my experience with them on my Hawk, the Michelin Pilot Road do great up until you push them to the max (i.e treat them like pure Sport rubber)
5000 miles should be EASY with what you describe.
And, they should serve you well based on your described needs.
There are other good tires. Of that I am sure. But, I can only speak of the Pilot Road from first hand eperience.

NOTE: I corrected my message above. First pass, I had a brain fart and type Pilot POWER. I meant Pilot ROAD.
I've used both, but the Roads are the ones I meant to mention here.
If you had read this before my correction, you are not losing your mind. It DID used to say Pilot Power.

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Pilot Powers don't do too bad on mileage, considering they're over in the 'pure sport rubber' category. I got ~7k to the wear bars and then another ~1k until the rear started showing threads. The front's got another 3-5k on it, but I'm going with new shoes front and rear so I can keep the partial life front as a spare (the mostly used D204 I've got as a backup front now needs to GO).

As for the Roads, I've heard nothing but good things about both grip and mileage, so you can't go wrong there. Given I commute on mine, I'm still debating whether to go Powers on both ends, or Power front and Road rear...
Old 04-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Superstock

woodman
Originally Posted by Galaxieman";p=&quot
Pilot Powers don't do too bad on mileage, considering they're over in the 'pure sport rubber' category. I got ~7k to the wear bars and then another ~1k until the rear started showing threads. The front's got another 3-5k on it, but I'm going with new shoes front and rear so I can keep the partial life front as a spare (the mostly used D204 I've got as a backup front now needs to GO).

As for the Roads, I've heard nothing but good things about both grip and mileage, so you can't go wrong there. Given I commute on mine, I'm still debating whether to go Powers on both ends, or Power front and Road rear...
You are doing better than me, The rear Pilot Power only lasted 1800 miles on the back of my Aprilia Futura.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Squid

apex

I also use 020's frt and rear and get around 10,000 klm frt and 6000 klms rear.
My friends use the Michelin Pilot roads and get the about the same use as well.
I have ridden in extreme wet weather on a 700 k trip on the 020's and the tyres gave me confidence when cornering and accelerating and did not brake traction. I have been pretty happy with this brand and this is my 3 rear.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point

Ihad pilotpower race tires on my superhawk medium compound.great handeling very confidence inspiring. but miliage sucked 3500.I still have the front on now.but I put a m1 sportec on the rear I only have 500 miles on it but I'm very happy.I've put it from edge to edge with ease.not quite the same grip.but all in all very happy.and I think they should last alot longer. and the tire was 113.00 shipped and 20.00 mounted and balenced.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point

After re-reading this thread I think it is GREAT that we have such a variety of high quality rubber to select from.
Seems there is a tire for every possible preference and riding style.
Ain't that cool !?
The tires we can buy via internet or at the local bike shop are as good as race rubber from not too many years ago.
Same could be said for the motorcycles.

As Napolean Dynamite said:

"Luck-eee."