General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Considering VTR for sport-touring project

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 AM
Squid

Auron
Smile Considering VTR for sport-touring project

Hey guys, so I'm looking at the V-twin options and there just aren't many that are Japanese reliable and don't cost a bajillion dollars. The SV1000 is nice but I'd prefer a Honda any day.

I have three main concerns.

1) With a 2 gallon tour tank, what kind of range would I be looking in conjunction with getting it on the dyno, with or without new pipes and/or whatever mods might get me a few more MPG

2) I live in Denver, so if I were to jet it for this altitude, how is the bike going to work around sea level?

3) What is the best way to upgrade the front end? I'm not looking for fancy inverted forks (although I wouldn't mind), but something I can put a Traxxion axxion kit in and have a fully adjustable awesome handling front end to match the Penske I'd put on the back.

I don't mind forking out some cash, since a Multistrada would have been 20K and I can pick up a superhawk for 4K easily.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Fuel economy is never going to be great no matter what you do.

I have done 920 Klms in one day on mine fully loaded with panniers, tank bag and a tail bag as well as having a fully loaded back pack.

I was 56 when I did that and it was a breeze although fuel stops at approx 230 Klms were welcome.

Mine is a 2005 model and I have done the front fork mod as well as Ohlins springs and slightly heavier oil with a decreased air gap, and have a fork brace as well. Also have a refurbished shock with 6mm spacer.

I too wouldn't mind a USD front end but am realy happy with what I have.

These things munch the miles but are let down by their range.

Another 2 Gallons would be great.

I can't answer the questions about jetting but I have a Dynojet kit that seams O.K no matter what elevation I have been at, also an ignition advancer as well as some other engine mods.

The best way to find out is to try and see, then make changes as necessary.

To date my longest trip has been 2400Klms over 3 Days and the bike and myself were ready for more.

Good luck, keep us posted with pics as well!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Corbin Seat, Heli-Bars, Saddle/tail bags, and a front respring from Jamie is all you really need comfort wise, then mechanically Manual CCT's, Mosfet R/R, and the VFR 5 gallon gas tank is a nice upgrade if you dont mind the look and a little fab work.

I haven't done the fuel tank or R/R yet, R/R is on my list, I don't know about the tank, I just don't like the look of them on the bike

Attached Thumbnails Considering VTR for sport-touring project-tour.jpg  
Old 01-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
It's certainly do-able. My stock forks have a gold valve kit and springs, and it's a pretty civilized fork...no real need to go USD unless you are going heavily sporting with it. Stock tanks are a pretty big limiting factor...While Kenmoore has a 2005 Australian edition, be aware that the US versions never got the big tank. The VFR tank, once adapted, is certainly a compromise in both asthetics and fit, but gives you more range. I also have a custom made Harris aluminum tank for sale that is a thing of beauty, but most people aren't willing to pony up for it...which is fine by me. It gives me about 220 miles between fill-ups.

As far as comfort, I added risers and a superbike bar, slightly trimming the fairing, and it has completely transformed the riding position (I've had stock bars and heli-bars as well). Add a decent shock out back, a decent seat, and improve your brakes a bit, and you're good to go. Jetting's a little tedious on this bike, and there's a great thread on carb setup here by 8541Hawk. As for your elevation...you do kind of need to jet for your primary elevation, and the hawk is sensitive to being too lean...it gets pretty surge-y. In my experience Hawks prefer to be a bit on the rich side anyway.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine is set up for an ST moto, pretty much since day 1.

Thus, I'll add what to what others have said.

1. Fuel range - since ur out west & gas stations are farther apart, I would just get a 1 or 2 gallon can to carry with you or some MSR fuel bottles. And when is rural areas, never pass up a chance to get gas. - If your on the throttle alot, expect 100 miles per tank. My next long term trip I will being doing so.

2. Stock forks are fine - add race tech springs to your Penske rear. U'll be fine. And get the suspension dialed in.

3. I wouldn't get soft luggage bags - I bought some & sold em quick - they don't hold much. I have a Givi Top Case, a tank bag, a tail bag. They all work great, but I'm tired of my old Eclipse tank bag sliding all the time - so I'm getting a magnetic one in the Spring (I'm hoping some place puts em on sale) - I'm getting this in 18l size
Cortech Super 2.0 Tank Bag with Magnetic Mount | Sport Bike | Jake Wilson

4. I also have a dry bag for my new tail bag / seat pack. I bought a very large one - I think 30" wide. I sized up the bike before I bought it, but it still looks big. Dry bags are inexpensive & WATER Proof, so U will never have to worry about stopping to put a flimsy cover over luggage, that will leak anyway.

This is my old setup - great thing was I could pack my bike in under 5 minutes. And with my soon to be new setup, it will be the same. Nothing worse than waiting for someone to pack their moto (Like I did on a trip to Indy - pic below. I'm still pissed that a guy that went took FOREVER to pack his shyte. His delays made us cut the twisty route short)

Last edited by nnjhawk02; 01-22-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Squid

Auron
Sweet. I really like the narrow feeling the stock tank gives and hate to give that up with a VFR tank. What's the harris like?

The tourtanks are a little crazy looking but easy to install with a carbed bike. I'd probably axe the passenger seat to have it sit as low as possible. Has anyone here tried one?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...is-tank-30073/

Similar shape to stock, though a bit taller, "ears" that hang over the back side of the airbox towards the front of the seat actually have usable volume in them, and it all drains to the petcock in such a way that you don't have a lot of inaccessible fuel. It's extremely space efficient for how much more it carries than stock, plus it's aluminum, so quite a bit lighter than the stock tank as well.
-R
Old 01-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by insulinboy
Corbin Seat, Heli-Bars, Saddle/tail bags, and a front respring from Jamie is all you really need comfort wise, then mechanically Manual CCT's, Mosfet R/R, and the VFR 5 gallon gas tank is a nice upgrade if you dont mind the look and a little fab work.

I haven't done the fuel tank or R/R yet, R/R is on my list, I don't know about the tank, I just don't like the look of them on the bike

That looks like you're on my mountain overlook...getting rid of my Hawk this week for a DRZ400 so I guess you can use it until I decide I'm bored with dirt bikes.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Squid

Auron
OK so I have one other MPG question. I had a superhawk for a brief period and regret selling it. I used it for short trips to work (like 1-2 miles) and canyon riding. Obviously the mileage was terrible but never once did I take it on the freeway and burn through a tank of gas. Is this bike more susceptible to bad mileage under those conditions than an FI bike? I've seen some guys getting 40 on tour which would be just fine with me.

And wyldrice, I'd like to buy your tank but I'm pretty sure the one I'm getting is blue and couldn't bare to paint it.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:14 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Hopey is on a distinguished road
I have'nt done the conversion to mpg, but I can tell you my bike gets 200KM's on a tank religiously and extra capacity of some sort is a must where I do most of my riding!That said after 200 kilometers straight it's nice to pull over for fuel.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:49 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Auron
OK so I have one other MPG question. I had a superhawk for a brief period and regret selling it. I used it for short trips to work (like 1-2 miles) and canyon riding. Obviously the mileage was terrible but never once did I take it on the freeway and burn through a tank of gas. Is this bike more susceptible to bad mileage under those conditions than an FI bike? I've seen some guys getting 40 on tour which would be just fine with me.

And wyldrice, I'd like to buy your tank but I'm pretty sure the one I'm getting is blue and couldn't bare to paint it.
MPG is crappy stock, worse if it's jetted to run better than stock... That is the common answer you'll find..
A few will tell story's of 300 miles to a tank, 99.45487 MPG and 300 HP on a dyno.... take um for what it's worth.

I ride my SH to work (40 miles round trip) on the weekend rides (125-300 miles) multi day rides (300-500 a day) and 1836 miles in 19 hours a few months ago for an Iron Butt deal and my trip to Indy for the Moto GP race.

Gas mileage is a bit better at steady cruse at lower speeds on my bike.. but above 75-90 (most of that 1836 miles) or in town or playing on back roads.... it sucks... 110 miles and im looking for a gas station... with 145 being my fumes limit.

Apex 4" risers, Front and rear suspension by Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification, Sergeant Seat, USB plug in for iPod / iPad and phone, blue tooth headset by Scalarider and longer rides are fun again.,,

Still have to plan my routes and time of day riding around gas stops.. But other then the Iron Butt ride I did,,, im never in too much of a hurry to get where Im going.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Best I've ever gotten on one tank is 290 miles, but that was mostly up hill.

Seems I've read on here that highway mileage is better cruising in 5th gear instead of 6th. Anyone else ever seen that stated? Maybe I'm losing it.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Best I've ever gotten on one tank is 290 miles, but that was mostly up hill.

There it is
Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Get a flow commander for the carbs. You can then make adjustments if needed when going from Altitude to Sea Level.

Name:  vtr1000_zpsdf7ee14f.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  36.6 KB

(:-})

Last edited by cybercarl; 01-23-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Squid

Auron
Good deal on the flow commander! I there a certain number of turns on that screw per 1000ft of elevation or something?
Old 01-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
IIRC it goes up or down a 1 or 2 main jet sizes, depending on whether your turn the screw clockwise or anti clockwise.

(:-})
Old 01-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Squid

Auron
^ That's pretty damn sweet. So I've got my altitude changes covered and with a tour tank I'm looking between 6 and 7 usable gallons depending on if I get the 2 or 3 gallon.

I guess I'll start looking. I found a mint '03 with 9K for $3350. Is that a good price?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Auron
^ That's pretty damn sweet. So I've got my altitude changes covered and with a tour tank I'm looking between 6 and 7 usable gallons depending on if I get the 2 or 3 gallon.

I guess I'll start looking. I found a mint '03 with 9K for $3350. Is that a good price?

I gave at a dealer 2900 for my 98 in august with 32k on it in mint shape with micron exhaust, corbin seat, heli-bars, and the solo seat cowl. I paid pretty much full retail for it but it was worth it to me because the dealer has good history with me. so 3350 would seem to me like a pretty good deal for a mint shape 03