Riding Pants - whats out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:29 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Riding Pants - whats out there?

Hey guy's...

So I've never had any "riding pants"... I ride with a Joe Rocket mesh, with full armor, helmet, gloves, and boots...

But... In the past i gave up many riding day's because of the professional dress code at work.... But this year that is going to change... I'll be riding all the time weather permitting...

So... Whats out there? Is there something that I can slip on over my dress pants?

I'm in Ny currently (but moving south)... but in the colder weather, I normally just slip on my ski bib's which are full bibs... Even when i'm wearing jeans, i can just slip in those, pull the shoulder straps up, and put my jacket on over it... Infact.. I use those damn bibs on a daily basis it seems... In the dead of winter, if the wife wants me to run to the garage, i can be in shorts and no shirt, and i grab my bibs and a coat, and i'll all set..

ANYWAY... Idealy, I would like to find something similar to my bibs for riding in, but not as thick of course.. I want something i can quickly put on over my dress pants on the way to work, that way i don't get road spray and such on my dress pants... and then can just pull them off quickly at work...

i though about just buying a set of wind breaker pants or something that where big enough to comfortably go over my pants, but is there something specific already out there?

thanks.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Back Marker

GeMs is on a distinguished road
http://www.dragginjeans.com/
I have heard people talk about these, and if I remember correctly they are a really good product.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Back Marker

jbeber is on a distinguished road
Are those Icon jeans any good? I can't remember their name, but they have stretch panels and look like the'y be comfortable and maybe protect a little (just a little).
Old 02-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Back Marker

jbeber is on a distinguished road
Joe Rocket has a couple worth mentioning...the Ballistic and the Phoenix--I think think they're mesh and probably match your mesh jacket...only about $150 new (and maybe closer to $100 or so on ebay)...I don't think they're that heavy and would still protect...much safer than just wearing running pants as mentioned.

Last edited by jbeber; 02-22-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:38 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I have a set of the JR phoenix mesh overpants. Cut generously to be worn over other pants, they have large pockets for full armor in the knees (comes with soft armor) and long side zippers on the legs for easy removal.

I find these along with jeans and long thermal underwear are still comfy down to the upper 30's (coldest I've ridden in). In colder climates, the aerostich one piece is considered the hot ticket (pun intended). It's a pricey but there are cheaper versions from other companies.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:46 AM
MotoGP

ghopki1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GeMs
http://www.dragginjeans.com/
I have heard people talk about these, and if I remember correctly they are a really good product.
Those guys are just 20 miles from me....Small world huh.....
Old 02-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Superstock

Jim TT
Icon Recon jeans are the one withs stretch inserts, I have a pair and wear them a lot. I also use Joe Rocket Ballistc pants which a light, waterproof, easy to put on, as they have boot zippers and leg zippers that open to the hip and they look good. I bought the 'tall' version with a 36 inch inseem even though I am not that tall because when you get on the bike the length covers my legs right down to the top of my feet. The ballistc pants fit right over your pants with no trouble or you can wear them as you main pant.

Last edited by Jim TT; 02-22-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
www.newenough.com

Look at the textile pants and closeout sections. Plenty of selections to choose from.

I have a pair of JoeRocket over pants. Good for cold/cool weather, waterproof and fits over your street clothes.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:15 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by joshuatest
Hey guy's...

So I've never had any "riding pants"... I ride with a Joe Rocket mesh, with full armor, helmet, gloves, and boots...

But... In the past i gave up many riding day's because of the professional dress code at work.... But this year that is going to change... I'll be riding all the time weather permitting...

So... Whats out there? Is there something that I can slip on over my dress pants?

I'm in Ny currently (but moving south)... but in the colder weather, I normally just slip on my ski bib's which are full bibs... Even when i'm wearing jeans, i can just slip in those, pull the shoulder straps up, and put my jacket on over it... Infact.. I use those damn bibs on a daily basis it seems... In the dead of winter, if the wife wants me to run to the garage, i can be in shorts and no shirt, and i grab my bibs and a coat, and i'll all set..

ANYWAY... Idealy, I would like to find something similar to my bibs for riding in, but not as thick of course.. I want something i can quickly put on over my dress pants on the way to work, that way i don't get road spray and such on my dress pants... and then can just pull them off quickly at work...

i though about just buying a set of wind breaker pants or something that where big enough to comfortably go over my pants, but is there something specific already out there?

thanks.
I use the Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants. They work very well. I also have to "dress to impress" on occasion and have had no issues. I have used them in 25 degree weather (on top of blue jeans and thermals) and 95 degree weather (with blue jeans underneath and unzip the mesh lining).

These but I got mine on flea bay for $110...
http://www.newenough.com/protective_...overpants.html

Last edited by ghopki1; 02-22-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Squid

kfkraenz
I use the Icon St. pants for work because I can wear jeans. They only have extra protection in the knees. I have a pair of the Barrier (winter) and Recon (summer) for weekend riding because they have extra protection, but don't look like regular jeans. All of the icon sizing runs small, so buy one size bigger and check the return policy before you buy.

A friend of mine went down with a pair of draggin jeans and no road rash from a 55mph lowside, so I'm thinking of trying them out when I need to replace the Icons.

For days that I can't wear jeans to work, I bring wear rain pants. They don't offer any protection in a crash (just slightly less protection then ski bibs) but they will keep the bugs/road grime off of dress pants.

The best solutoin for the days when dress pants are requried is the areostich roadcrafter suit (http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...t-p-16133.html). The reason I don't have one is because they will are $750.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:35 AM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jbeber
Are those Icon jeans any good? I can't remember their name, but they have stretch panels and look like the'y be comfortable and maybe protect a little (just a little).
probably the Recon jeans...
Old 02-22-2008, 01:10 PM
MSF RiderCoach
Back Marker

radbikers is on a distinguished road
Another vote for the JR Phoenix pants (and jacket). We wear ours all year round here in central FL. They will fit over your dress pants without mussing them up, are comfortable in hot temperatures and provide the protection you need. I'm on my second pair in about 4-5 years. My first pair is still servicable, but after 4 years or so of wearing them at least 1-2 times a week they started showing a little wear. If you want to wear them in the cold, just throw some sweatpants under them as a lining and that works out pretty well, at least down into the 50s.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Minimal Post
Back Marker

Josh is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got JR Ballistic pants that keep me plenty warm with just jeans underneath in low 40's weather. They are a little thick, but not like a ski bib. Plus the back zips up to the back of my JR Alter Ego jacket.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:19 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Thanks guy's... I think i'll look into the JR stuff since i've already got a JR mesh jacket that would probably match...

I'm moving to Ky this year, so i'm not so worried about cold weather as much, if anything... I'm concerned about the warm weather for riding to work in the summer...

Thanks for all the input though... I'll be buying something very soon.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:36 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Guy's with Joe Rocket pants

ok guy's... I'm gonna go with Joe Rocket stuff i'm pretty sure to match the jacket... Looking at stuff on ebay to find a deal.. BUT...

What sized pants do you guy's have, and what sized waste are you normally for jeans and such?

I'm a 38" waste in jean/dress pants... What sized riding pants in Joe Rocket mesh stuff should i buy?

or what do you have?
Old 02-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
I wear khaki's to work everyday. I've worn these here in all types of weather and my pants have never got wet and my pants didn't wrinkle.

http://www.compacc.com/prod.cfm/cid/1001002/pid/13839
Old 02-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Minimal Post
Back Marker

Josh is an unknown quantity at this point
My JR pant is a medium. I think it is only good up to a 32 waist, 32 leg.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:09 PM
MotoGP

ok guy's... I'm gonna go with Joe Rocket stuff i'm pretty sure to match the jacket... Looking at stuff on ebay to find a deal.. BUT...

What sized pants do you guy's have, and what sized waste are you normally for jeans and such?

I'm a 38" waste in jean/dress pants... What sized riding pants in Joe Rocket mesh stuff should i buy?

or what do you have?
I a, 36X32. I have the XL standard. Fits good over my pants. Good and roomy.

You need XL....They make some lines in XL short and XL long along with XL standard....
Old 02-25-2008, 05:14 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
There is another option. Not an original idea of mine but Capt Chaos. I can't wear leathers all day at work. Some things I do I could do on the bike - others have to be done with a truck.

I dress in jeans - especially roomy styles. When I get a chance to run an errand or an appointment, I close my office door, drop trou and put on some youth sized BMX armor for knees and shins and I feel great!

Some of the styles of basic streetrider boots almost look like hiking boots to the general public. Heel rotation is important as are the outer plates.

This set up was crash tested a year ago this week. I T-boned an Izuzu Trooper hard enough to knock the rocker panels off of it.

I never came off the bike just plowed him and recoiled. That little performance stopped five lanes of traffic.

I felt like taking a bow although I really wanted to get my helmet off so I could beat this stupid **** into oblivion. Even the cops were impressed. They also stuck around until they knew I wouldn't.
Attached Thumbnails Riding Pants - whats out there?-pic00001.jpg   Riding Pants - whats out there?-pic00003.jpg  
Old 02-25-2008, 06:55 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by ghopki1
I a, 36X32. I have the XL standard. Fits good over my pants. Good and roomy.

You need XL....They make some lines in XL short and XL long along with XL standard....
Thats the thing... If your a 36 and where XL's, and they fit good.. I'm a 38, so i'm concerned that i may be better off with a XXL..

My JR Balistic jacket is ironically only a Large though... I originally bought one in XL, but the armor just didn't fit right.. It felt ok on me, but the armor was in all the wrong places... elbow pads to far down, lower back pad to low... ext... So i sold it on eaby and bought a regular large, which fits a little tight around the beer gut, but all the armor is approriately placed..

HMMMMMMMMMM... i don't know... i wish somebody locally sold them so i could go try some on...
Old 02-26-2008, 03:43 AM
MotoGP

Thats the thing... If your a 36 and where XL's, and they fit good.. I'm a 38, so i'm concerned that i may be better off with a XXL..

My JR Balistic jacket is ironically only a Large though... I originally bought one in XL, but the armor just didn't fit right.. It felt ok on me, but the armor was in all the wrong places... elbow pads to far down, lower back pad to low... ext... So i sold it on eaby and bought a regular large, which fits a little tight around the beer gut, but all the armor is approriately placed..

HMMMMMMMMMM... i don't know... i wish somebody locally sold them so i could go try some on...
I am a big 36 (especially during the winter months)....The XL's are loose on me. I am sure you would be fine with the Alter Ego's like mine. They have an adjustable waist strap and I have a lot of room left in it.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:29 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by ghopki1
I am a big 36 (especially during the winter months)....The XL's are loose on me. I am sure you would be fine with the Alter Ego's like mine. They have an adjustable waist strap and I have a lot of room left in it.
cool.. thanks.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:06 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
http://www.olympiamotosports.com have a few options for you. I own the mustang pants which probably can be worn as overpants, but you may want to look at the airglide. Very good construction and reasonable prices. Also, http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/html/h2_jean.html have some kevlar lined pants like draggin jeans but they offer some work pants/chinos that might be acceptable in an office depending on your line of work.