Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Summer Mesh Riding Pants?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Back Marker

mamisano is an unknown quantity at this point
Summer Mesh Riding Pants?

I was looking to get a pair of Fieldsheer Mesh riding pants for the Summer, currently have Overland over-pants. Do the titanium mesh pants go over jeans and such or do you just wear shorts under them?

Looking to use them for the commute to work, ususally wear khakis or jeans.

Later,
Old 07-02-2004, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Back Marker

mamisano is an unknown quantity at this point
AWESOME! Thanks. I have Joe Rocket revolution boots so that is not an issue. Next up after the pants is vented boots
Old 07-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Squid

biker2k
Re: Summer Mesh Riding Pants?

I have the field shier mesh pant's to go with the field shier mesh jacket...

i bought them both at events "americade" and loudon" paid a total of 205 for both!!!

can not be beat great armor and great gear. I found that with the pants just underwear is best everthing else seems to bunch up at the waist. I also had to remove the ce hip armor because it was impossible to sit on the bike with them in.... however the pants still have padding there and i am considering modifying the armor to sit better in the pants.

i can't stand the idiots who ride without gear and when you can buy basically a full suit for under 250.00 there is just no excuse!!!
Old 08-03-2004, 12:32 AM
Squid

tjayswift

Personally, I don't care how hot, uncomfortable, or how big of a hassle it is, I just prefer leather.

After surviving a crash that I probably shouldn't have (50mph highside into oncoming traffic), watching a few friends have some of their own, and looking at how the gear held up, the higher quality leather gear has been the only stuff to really withstand the punishment and protect the rider to the greatest extent possible. The mesh tends to disentegrate and/or melt very quickly when subjected to pavement. I had a friend slip in some gravel last week at about 15mph, and his mesh jacket, although it saved him some rash, is fully ruined. And he still got some rash in the arm, below his elbow.

My textile pants were gone in about .2 seconds on the pavement. They moved around a lot, so the armor didn't do much good, except for the intial impact, and I got some pretty serious rash on a knee. It then proceeded to get infected, despite my best care, and swell up like a grapefruit. They also didn't keep me from being speared in the shin by a footpeg. That part really hurt. My leather Fieldsheer jacket held up like a champ, saved me some broken bones, and is hardly the worse for wear after 5 or 6 extremely violent tumbles on the asphalt. I still wear it every day.

On the positive side, the mesh IS much better than nothing. It is quick, convienent, cost effective, and keeps you cool. As motorcylists, we take calculated risks every day. It's not like we do this because it's safe. We all have the freedom to choose what to wear, and it's really nice to be able to share opinions and experiences... I'm not going to look down on anyone because of what they choose to wear (or not to wear). For some of us, it's worth the risk. For others, it's not.

I don't mind riding a couple of blocks to the store without good pants, but the rest of my gear goes on every time, no matter what. It is a little extra hassle, but crash testing some gear made up my mind forever.

Any other crash experiences??
Old 08-03-2004, 01:11 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
I will not ride in mesh gear. Even textile I have my doubts.

I have been able to handle hot riding days in sunny california in leather. As long as you are moving, things are pretty cool, especially if your leather jacket/pants have some perforated areas that let the air in.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:12 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
Let me rephrase that: I ride to work/back in my jeans and leather jacket. I don't go for long rides in twisties in anything less than full leather.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:14 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
on anothre local board, a few people have got the $20 knee protection pads that are used for dirt, and wear those under their jeans for protection. I am looking into those very seriously. That may be something for you to consider as well.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Squid

daedalusfalling
I wear mesh because leathers in Phoenix traffic on a summer day is as potentially fatal as an accident. Heat stroke on a motorcycle is not a good thing. That being said, I feel much better with mesh than nothing at all.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:43 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Originally Posted by daedalusfalling";p=&quot
I wear mesh because leathers in Phoenix traffic on a summer day is as potentially fatal as an accident. Heat stroke on a motorcycle is not a good thing. That being said, I feel much better with mesh than nothing at all.
Having had heat exaustion in Phoenix (as a motorcycle courier) I'd heartily concur.

Mesh offers fair protection. Its a tradeoff that I'm happy to make when the weather calls for it. Most mesh gear has good padding and abrasion material where you are likely to need it.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:20 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the fieldsheer mach II pants leather mesh combo, Love 'em. They are actually on close-out right now, www.brocktoncycle.com real cheap. They're less than $100 right now although I'm not sure what sizes they have. If it wasn't for these pants summer riding in S.Fla would be next to impossible.

I just wear shorts under them usually bike shorts it feels like that's all your wearing.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Back Marker

blokeontheend

Take a look at the motoport kevlar street jeans - I ordered a pair which will arrive in NOV! But at least I'll be covered for next summer. Expensive? - yeah. Is my skin worth it? You bet ur ****!
Old 09-26-2005, 02:20 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by daedalusfalling";p=&quot
Same here..... for those 104 degree Dallas, Texas summer days !
Old 02-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Squid

YAMAROCKET630

Hello everyone, new to the forums here.

I'll hopefully be picking up my new 2001 Superhawk next week, and after being out of the riding scene for almost 6 years (and being a bit older and wiser) I need to pick up some new everyday riding gear.

I still have my full leathers for weekend rides, and I have cold weather gear, but I need to know what you guys recommend for every day protective gear that I can wear over my regular clothes. I work in an office building and plan to commute with the bike every day I can. What I'm looking for are pants I can wear over Khakis and a decent jacket that wont get too hot on summer days, and something I can take off easily when I get to work.

What have you guys used that works well for you? I'm willing to spend $200-300 or a little more if I have to, I found out a long time ago that new skin is a lot more expensive.

On a side note, what happened to Bieffe helmets? I always like their quality and the seatbelt buck design chin strap, but they seem to have disappeared.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Les
Squid

Les

I like the Joe Rocket Phoenix pants and jacket. I've been riding with them for about 2 yrs. now but haven't gone down so I don't know how they will protect when one does go down.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:18 PM
MotoGP

Les, I've heard some unpleasent stories about the Phoenix stuff melting to your skin. This was from 2 guys that sell thier stuff, they said it wasn't a real big issue but has happened.

That's why I wear a leather/mesh combo suit. I have sonic air/mach2 fieldsheer pants and a sonic air jacket. Both have leather in crash zones and titanium mesh in the other areas and removable armor.
Brocktoncycle is having a closeout on the pants and the mach2 jacket wich is the newest version of my jacket. Good quality stuff and the leather is perforated as well so it's very breathable. Lots of choices for the jacket, not so much for the pants only 3 sizes, 30, 42, 40, but awesome prices. $79.95 for the pants and $89.95 for the jacket.

http://www.brocktoncycle.com//catalo...talogCode=1137
Old 02-16-2006, 12:13 PM
MotoGP

Oh and about Bieffe I had one too it was the lightest helmet I've ever owned. They're still in business but they don't export them to the US any more. Why? Don't know.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:18 PM
SuperSport

Loco
I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic mesh jacket and it works awesome. It's torn on the shoulder, but I don't care, it feels great, it's light, and it breathes great in the wind.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:20 PM
MotoGP

Hey Loco do you know when Cliffhanger gets back? I found the leather jacket he's looking for ALOT cheaper than he was going to spend.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Squid

YAMAROCKET630
Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
Les, I've heard some unpleasent stories about the Phoenix stuff melting to your skin. This was from 2 guys that sell thier stuff, they said it wasn't a real big issue but has happened.

That's why I wear a leather/mesh combo suit. I have sonic air/mach2 fieldsheer pants and a sonic air jacket. Both have leather in crash zones and titanium mesh in the other areas and removable armor.
Brocktoncycle is having a closeout on the pants and the mach2 jacket wich is the newest version of my jacket. Good quality stuff and the leather is perforated as well so it's very breathable. Lots of choices for the jacket, not so much for the pants only 3 sizes, 30, 42, 40, but awesome prices. $79.95 for the pants and $89.95 for the jacket.

http://www.brocktoncycle.com//catalo...talogCode=1137
Awesome hookup dude!

I ordered a jacket, they dont have any pants that will fit me, so I'll have to keep on the lookout for those.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:50 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Hey Loco do you know when Cliffhanger gets back? I found the leather jacket he's looking for ALOT cheaper than he was going to spend.
No but I'm sure we will all know when he gets back
Old 02-16-2006, 03:54 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Leather jacket?

CHEAP?

Where :-)

Do they have "portly sizes" for my middle aged body????
Old 02-16-2006, 05:38 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CNI Dawg";p=&quot

Leather jacket?

CHEAP?

Where :-)

Do they have "portly sizes" for my middle aged body????
Click the link for brocktoncycle in the above post, they have the Fieldsheer Air Speed jacket that he wanted for $119.00. Fully perforated and armored, thick leather in portly sizes 50 and 54 retail was $249.99.