General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Riding Pants Technical Questions, what actualy works...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:54 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Riding Pants Technical Questions, what actualy works...

ok...

Just before my accident, I ordered a set of riding pants, they are mesh/textile, and have soft knee/hip armor in them...

I will be moving to KY this year, so warm/hot weather riding gear is important... I do plan to look into a set of actual leather riding gear for colder weather riding for those "winter" months in KY...

After my recent spill, i've spent hours and hours online reading reviews on different riding pants....

I went down with only jeans on, and got LOTS of road rash, and the jeans are unbelievable ripped up... And being thankfull to be here making this choice now, I'm putting a lot more thought into my gear....

I am almost dissapointed with some of the riding pants out there, as it seems they are mostly knee and hip padding only... some have some small pads in the back section, but most don't....

My wreck sent me sliding 2/10ths of a mile down a straight road, and I would like to think that my riding pants purchase would help prevent some of the rash i received....

I wear a Joe Rocket Ballistic series mesh riding jacket, with the built in padding, and optional soft armor also... I am VERY happy with it... Actually bought two of them, as i though it was to small, but then after going a size up, went back to the smaller one because while the larger one fit looser, the smaller one puts, and keeps armor where its designed to be....

Now.............. As for pants....

how does Textile do for sliding down the road?
how does Mesh do for sliding down the road?

what rating of textile is good? it seems they have different levels, or ratings for it.... like 600 or 660...

I like the Joe Rocket Alter Ego, Phoenix, and Ballistic 5.0's that are out there for a reasonable price... And they go well with my jacket...

OR... do i just replace the armor in my current pants with CE rated armor?

thats another thing, most have CE ratings for knee armor, but not hips....

I really would like atleast some padding at the shins/cav's, knee's, hips, and but....

i really wanna make a choice on something tonight and just buy something and send the other pair back, or keep the new pair... they are new with return policy and still have tags... so i can keep or send back...

Has anybody had any experience with Mesh/Textile pants in going down? Any comments on the road rash prevention?

thanks
Old 04-16-2008, 08:17 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

http://www.newenough.com/protective_...overpants.html

Any thoughts on these?

some features i like are the removable liner for warmer day's...
velcro waste strap since they will be over pants of various sizes
CE rated knee armor
hip padding and armor

but is something like this gonna hold up to sliding down the pavement?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I own three sets of leather riding jeans and I don't usually go out for more than a couple miles without them.

The first set I bought was a set of Frank Thomas Strike set and for what you get it's a decent buy. It was a part of a two piece suite and I still think it's sharp it's a bit too colorful for everyday riding.

A year later Cycle Gear and my friends that work there gave me a great deal on some Thomas Strike Two leather jeans that are all flat black. These are the jeans that I wear mostly. I switch around all my jackets around these jeans and they are great.

This winter, I wanted a solid set of non-perf cold-weather leathers so when they came on sale I bought a set of Cortech jeans. They have the hip pads that make you feel like a tank and the fit is very full. I'm 165 and I bought the medium size and I can almost swim in them. For a very long cold ride I think they would be outstanding. For a fifty to hundred mile run you would have to peal once you got there.

New Enough has had some Tecknic jeans on sale lately that I think look very good for the price.

Last edited by nuhawk; 04-16-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
I have those exact same pants. Back in December I hit the ground going 65mph in them. They did their job and I walked away without any road rash. I liked them so much I bought another pair. The coldest I've worn them it was 14F outside on my way to work. My legs never got cold. Yes they are 100% waterproof. I was in quite a few rainstorms last year and never got wet. I did a good 45 miles in the rain to work and my pants were completely dry when I took those overpants off. They are an excellent product and the price is right, you should be completely satisfied
Old 04-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Superstock

here's some pics after hitting the ground at 65mph

Name:  Pants1.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  Pants6.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  103.9 KB

Name:  pants2.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  147.3 KB

Name:  Pants4.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  61.8 KB

and of course the helmet

Name:  DSC00073.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  124.1 KB
Old 04-16-2008, 09:15 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Bravo! It kills me that guys will go out with $400 helmets and regular jeans with hiking boots.

This some kinda false economy or what?

While the most tramatic injuries in bike accidents is head/neck - the most common debilitating injuries involve hands and feet.

Even on short rides to the bank I wear my Fox Racing youth knee protectors with shin plate under my jeans. I got a cheap *** pair of hiking boot - look-a-like bike boots that have some decent features for a low end boot. I always wear my gloves because my hands are my livelyhood.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:23 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Sgt Rock.... Those are the pants I linked to right?

how are they in warm weather? I am thinking I will send the ones I got back, and order these... Since there are some real world reviews on them...

thanks
Old 04-16-2008, 09:45 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Well... I went ahead and ordered them...

Looks like comparing the specs vs everything else, they are just as good, or better... They are textile vs straight mesh, which i think probably holds up better in the case you go sliding... and I think removing the liner will probably make them doable in the summer months....

atleast i hope.. lol
Old 04-16-2008, 09:49 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I just got a pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants on Ebay, waiting for delivery now. I already have the jacket, but I haven't crash tested it yet. It is pretty comfortable and should open up nicely for warm days and the pants are supposed to ventilate too, along with a waterproof liner. Once I get a good ride with them, I'll let you know what I think...hopefully Sunday.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:54 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

And i think i'll return my other pants, and just pay the balance on a nice set of leather boots....

any suggestions on style? I think i'll go with some 12" high one's... for the full ankle protection... and in leather.. not sure i want the full on racing style... the leather riding style ones are good though right?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
I just got a pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants on Ebay, waiting for delivery now. I already have the jacket, but I haven't crash tested it yet. It is pretty comfortable and should open up nicely for warm days and the pants are supposed to ventilate too, along with a waterproof liner. Once I get a good ride with them, I'll let you know what I think...hopefully Sunday.
I was thinking seriously about the Joe Rocket alter ego pants, but they seemed lacking in the armor area... And in light of my recent crash, the seriousness of having something that will do the trick is my concern... They don't list the knee armor as CE-approved, and these others have the hip padding along with some built in padding too... and believe me.. as bruised up as i am, i would appreciate all the extra padding i could get.. lol

I have every intention of getting a full set of leathers also for colder weather riding, and for the times i know i'm going to get crazy... if i'm headed out with some riders that may be pushing it harder you know..

However the Alter Ego's do look like they would breath well.. they are kinda part mesh, part textile i think...
Old 04-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Squid

vtrstunta
question, along the same lines...

anybody have any recommendations for riding pants (any kind- leather, jeans, mesh), for taller people (i am 6'7", and usually wear 36 or even 38 length)

currently i only have one pair of cortech denims that i had to cut the bottoms off and sew on my own material to make them long enough, so i dont high water them when riding!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
joshuatest- When I worked for a dealership we sold Joe Rocket gear and I ask the rep piont blank how good is mesh gear vs leather. He said that all mesh gear is equal to light weight leather. Most of the name brand gear Joe Rocket, Teknic, Cortech uses a little better quality mesh that would be equal to a medium weight leather. I ride with Joe Rocket gear. I have both mesh and textile gear, but have not been down.

vtrstunta- I am 6'6" and know where you are coming from. Joe Rocket and Cortech both make tall size pants and jackets. They do not do it though out there entire line, only select product and generally just black for color. I know Joe Rocket Ballastic pants come in tall, I have a set. One of there longer style jackets also comes in tall. Cortech Speed FX2 jacket comes in tall also. Hope this helps
Old 04-17-2008, 06:28 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

vtrstunta - how are the textile pants in warm weather? i am guessing you wear the mesh in the hot stuff, but I guess i just don't like the design of some of the mesh stuff... The thin parts of the material are in places i got some rash...

So i was kinda torn on what i wanted... I LOVE my JR jacket which is mesh, but with all the armor, there are very few places where the road would only haev to wear through mesh.. with the pants, there are very little in the way of armor, so i feel safer with something that may resist the road tears better
Old 04-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Squid

Laynout is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sgt Rock
I have those exact same pants. Back in December I hit the ground going 65mph in them. They did their job and I walked away without any road rash. I liked them so much I bought another pair. The coldest I've worn them it was 14F outside on my way to work. My legs never got cold. Yes they are 100% waterproof. I was in quite a few rainstorms last year and never got wet. I did a good 45 miles in the rain to work and my pants were completely dry when I took those overpants off. They are an excellent product and the price is right, you should be completely satisfied
Which pants are these?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:19 AM
Back Marker

TheRezyReb is on a distinguished road
I wear the loose fit draggin jeans. Went to wally world bought some velcro, cut and sewed it on, now I've got kevlar re-enforced JEANS with pucks on them. So, I'm knee dragging in my draggin jeans.

Last edited by TheRezyReb; 04-17-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:30 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I commute in jeans, etc., but on weekends I always wear leather, regardless of the weather. For all but city riding, perforated leather is plenty comfortable, even in the summer.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Superstock

Those are the Venture pants that he had linked above. Yeah the liner is removable so it's really not bad in the summer. After walking away from the getoff I had in those pants I'm a true believer in them.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:53 AM
v-twin4tmfw
Back Marker

996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by joshuatest
Sgt Rock.... Those are the pants I linked to right?

how are they in warm weather? I am thinking I will send the ones I got back, and order these... Since there are some real world reviews on them...

thanks
I think you're going to sweat your ***** off in them over a long day of riding. I have the alter ego pant's and for the summer I take the cover off of the mesh strip for better air flow and I wear mesh shorts underneath. They still get warm, but I couldn't imagine them without the mesh strip. The knee/shin protection seems good to me because it covers my knee down to my TCX boots.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I have Joe Rocket Phoenix overpants that I use with my Phoenix 3 jacket and my Power Trip jacket. The odd thing is sizing.. I have XL over pants to be comfortable over my jeans, but a Medium Phoenix and large Power Trip jackets.. They are all Joe Rocket products.. I have never been down on the street, and hope never to be, but like the build quality of what I have.

But be sure to try everything on for fit, as sizing seems to be useless. lol
Old 04-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Superstock

MUHerdFan is on a distinguished road
I use the Bohn armor under Icon Anthem (or Barrier for the winter) kevlar jeans. It is obviously warm where the armor is hugging your legs, but not totally uncomfortable.

Last edited by MUHerdFan; 04-17-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:35 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Well i am hoping that I can live with the summer months in those textile's... But if its not doable, it looks like they are great for colder riding too... So i'll keep them for the cooler to cold day's, since its only KY winters we are talking about... and I may consider some of the armored shorts, and some full on mesh riding pants over them...

But as of right now, i think i'm gonna be happy with these pants.... Especially seeing that Sgt Rock had a real world experience in them.... Which is what i really wanted to see... that they do work....
Old 04-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Superstock

Your also in NY where the weather stays a bit cooler longer than other parts of the US. You'll be able to get your moneys worth out of these pants.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:27 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Sgt Rock
Your also in NY where the weather stays a bit cooler longer than other parts of the US. You'll be able to get your moneys worth out of these pants.
I'm actually moving very soon to KY.. which is why i need some pants for warmer weather... if these work out to be to damn hot, i'll go with some full on mesh gear for summer riding i guess....
Old 04-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Squid

tapatio is on a distinguished road
Spidi one piece race suit.
done.

Oh and perforated kangaroo leather is better for hot weather but people say it wears down faster.

I have a Spidi suit (forgot model) with speed hump. It fits like a glove.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:26 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

OH yea... Guess i could update...

The pants I got where the ones I linked above... and the ones that Sgt Rock crash tested....

I've had a chance to ride with them a few times now, and I gotta say they are plenty comfortable... 3 position adjustment for the CE rated knee pads, which once adjusted for my height, they fit GREAT. Nice and Thick, removable liner, which I removed right away, but put back in tonight for tomorrow's ride into the shop with 35-40 deg temps when i'm headed into town...

i am very pleased with the quality so far, and after seeing the proof above, I am more than comfortable with my everyday riding in these...

I do intend to look into a 2pc leather suit at some point..... But not quite yet....

oh yea... Zipper was not the same as my Joe Rocket jacket, but I had the wife sew the two zip away parts that come attached to the zippers together, so I can zip the two together, and still have use of both zippers if I end up with another jacket I want to attach...

i'll try not to ever crash test these though.. lol
Old 05-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Superstock

excellent, I still wear mine w/o liners since it's cool in the mornings. I'll wear them through the summer. Enjoy those pants