General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Riding with ear plugs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bundleofgrundle
i ride with my ipod on longer rides and i've found that the skullcandy earbuds with the silicone nubs work well. I don't necessarily listen to music all the time but i've found that these earbuds do a good job of blocking out a lot of the high pitched wind noise. The added bonus is that you can throw on some tunes at a reasonable volume and still hear what's going on around you. i think these things were like $17. i love 'em. anybody else do the same?

+1 on the Skull candy earbuds. I picked some up about a month or two back and they are amazing. Super comfy, sound great and were pretty cheap too. Most days I just use foam earplugs but when I am listening to tunes the skull candys do a good job of keeping the wind noise out.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Squid

the1bolton is on a distinguished road
I have a strange right ear and I can't get most earplugs to stay in. This is especially worse when I have to put my helmet on and it knocks an earplug out. I ended up ordering a variety pack from these guys;

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...p-1-c-343.html

I went through 75% of the bag before I found a kind that worked. Just in case someone else has the same ear-dilema. (I'm still looking for something better, they can still take 2-3 tries to get the right one in and keep it there).
Old 05-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HisHawkiness

we just got these cool earplugs in at work (im an Infantryman in the Army, we use them for shooting) they are plastic and shaped like some sort of hearing aid, they have some type of filter that only removes the harsh harmful noises, pretty cool.

Surefire sells earplugs with that technology called Sonic Defenders. They use something called the "Hocks Noise Breaker" which claim to dynamically change the level of dB reduction depending on the level of noise. The theory is that you will be able to hear people talking, but louder noises are blocked out. I use them at the shooting range, but shots still seem loud, so I double it up with a pair of muffs.

Another plus is that it uses the shape of your ear to hold the plug in
Old 05-27-2009, 07:05 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by mikstr
I very seldom ride without them (only when I have a very short ride).

+ 1

mostly ride w/ plugs or about 2% of time w/ iPod
Old 05-27-2009, 07:55 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
relative to the reason for traveling faster with earplugs, galaxieman explained it well. I started using earplugs years ago and liked them so much, they became a regular habit when driving truck. Wish i would have started earlier cause my hearing probably would be better now. Wind noise ruins your ears over time, tires you, and distracts. I don't ride without them anymore. It is much more enjoyable with earplugs once you get used to them, then you will want them in always for riding. use hearos.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:01 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Every ride.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:15 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Anto
Surefire sells earplugs with that technology called Sonic Defenders. They use something called the "Hocks Noise Breaker" which claim to dynamically change the level of dB reduction depending on the level of noise. The theory is that you will be able to hear people talking, but louder noises are blocked out. I use them at the shooting range, but shots still seem loud, so I double it up with a pair of muffs.

Sounds like hocus pocus to me.

For that to be true the air pressure from loud noises would have to force the earplug flutes harder against your ear canal.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:42 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster

For that to be true the air pressure from loud noises would have to force the earplug flutes harder against your ear canal.
If it is an electronic device, those have been around for a long time. I've used them as ear muffs, ear plugs are new to me. In time, everything gets smaller though.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:41 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road

Not hocus pocus. Technology has been available with "Wolf Ears" shooting muffs and others for at least 20 years now.

Doesn't matter to me. I use cheap foam plug on the bike and the range. On the bike I'm not talking to anybody but myself. At the range I'd rather remove a 10 cent ear plug than leave on $200 high tech muffs.

Last edited by RK1; 05-28-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:53 PM
v-twin4tmfw
Back Marker

996 is on a distinguished road

I haven't used them, but the information I found said that they use an acoustic filter that only allows a certain decibel level (voice level) to pass through the ear plug. I take this to mean that it is limiting the air pressure (sound waves) that are entering the ear canal to a minimum velocity/pressure that is still audible at voice level. Sounds like it works like a good ole ear plug but probably much more efficient.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:58 AM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Hotbrakes and I rode 300 miles yesterday and finally remembering to use ear plugs made a huge difference cutting out the wind noise and the after ride buzz I generally get after a ride.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:32 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
got this notice in my email, but it didn't seem to make the thread???

Petebenner has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Riding with ear plugs... - in the General Discussion forum of SuperHawk Forum.

This thread is located at: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...6&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Molded with state-of-the-art, super low-pressure foam,
slow release comfort foam.

* Fully skinned and tapered, providing unmatched
user comfort and hygiene.
* User preferred purple color makes them as easy on
your eyes as they are on your ear

Image: http://www.macksearplugs.com/image.p...pg&w=350&h=350
Old 12-14-2010, 07:31 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by oahu hawk
okay guys back to my original question, I wasn't polling the forum to see who used them and why, I was wondering if anybody had a theory as to why I was riding more aggressiviely with the earplugs than I normally do without them...
I would suspect it's because of less noise distraction helping you to focus on the task at hand....riding.

Oh, and I wear foam plugs too.