General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Can anyone around North Phoenix lend an ear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Squid

SteeksDeuce is on a distinguished road
Can anyone around North Phoenix lend an ear?

This is my first post as I have been trolling around this forum for a couple of months now. I recently aquired a 98 SuperHawk that was running rather poorly due to some ill advised tuning choices made by the previous owner. I have rejetted, Carb sync etc... and have the bike now idling very smoothly without loping. My question.. Is here anyone on here with a working knowledge of these bikes that could stop by or meet me somewhere to give a listen to my bike run. This is my first V-twin and I hear so many goddamn noises coming from this thing that It sounds like it could explode at any minute. Tapping, knocking etc. etc.. i just want affermation that all is well, or a heads up to a problem that I need to rectify. Thanks, I enjoy reading all of the posts by people who are fanatical about these motorcycles and look forward to hopefully meeting and or riding with some of you.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum, and lazn and I can meet up with you sometime.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 PM
SuperSport

I should add that if we do find any issues we can make a trip up to Prescott where inderocker a forum moderator just opened up a shop we have been meaning to check out.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:07 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
steeke, im 75th and deer valley.. you could compare it to mine sometime??
Old 10-22-2009, 09:04 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Lynchie is closer, but if you don't manage to meet up with him, I and / or yruyur can.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Squid

Thanks for the responses, I live over by Desert Ridge at 32nd st. and Beardsley. I would be greatful to anyone who could bring their bike over for a side by side comparison. My bike was running so shitty when I got it that I dont know if these noises were there before I got it running better or not. I know I have a few exhaust leaks that I need to take care of, But I dont think that is it. Also, do any of you guys have a stock head pipe I could purchase from you, mine is F#$ked. Let me know when you have some time and I will make myself available when it is good for you. There is a nice frosty draft beer in it for ya!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Squid

Most of my family live in either Prescott or Prescott Valley, So if my bike doesnt explode, We will definatly have to plan a Prescott ride.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
OK is it me or am I the only midwesterner that owns a SH? I am from Nothwest Chicago and everyone I see on this forum seems like they are from the South West US.

WHAT UP WITH THAT???
Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by AdamK
OK is it me or am I the only midwesterner that owns a SH? I am from Nothwest Chicago and everyone I see on this forum seems like they are from the South West US.

WHAT UP WITH THAT???
There are a few in Minneapolis too.. But I think it is a sign that all SH owners should move to where the riding is 365 days a year. (There are a lot in NC and other eastern parts too)

I kid, I kid. There are a few Illinois peeps.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
Very nice

It is just not often you find people nice enough to meet (strangers) on a forum and help them out with their problems. I think I am moving just so I can get some friendly help.
I love the forum and the knowledge here is incredible. It makes me not want to bring it back to Honda again and just get pointers form everyone here.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Squid

AdamK, I am in the same boat, i have never had a positive experience with a dealership or shop of any kind. That is why I just tear **** apart and hope 4 the best. I completly built the bike in my avatar. Learned alot from the experience.

Last edited by SteeksDeuce; 10-22-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:28 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by SteeksDeuce
AdamK, I am in the same boat, i have never had a positive experience with a dealership or shop of any kind. That is why I just tear **** apart and hope 4 the best. I completly built the bike in my avatar. Learned alot from the experience.
Best place to take a bike in Phoenix is the helmet center on Union Hills and 35th ave.

But they are not a full service shop.. They can do tires and other basics, but not a jet kit or valve job.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:45 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SteeksDeuce
Amen! At least you learn that way and once you know how to do it you're going to take better care in doing it. Besides, it's what half the people who work at a dealer (car, bike, or most other trades in this area) seem to do anyway...Welcome aboard!

Last edited by captainchaos; 10-22-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Squid

Well, I am hoping that one of you can help me out and give it a listen. I have been working on this bike nearly every single day since I got it, and quite frankly, I'm tired. I feel like I've had carburators in my lap for the better part of a month. Finally got the bike running decent, and now this knocking sound that I didnt notice before appears. I'm half tempted to roll it out into the desert and dump all of my aging ammo into it. The way my job is going, this thing may be my primary transportation for a while and I ran out of money to dump into it. I can't afford $70 a half hour to have some mechanic that could care less if it runs or not have a look at it. So, as it stands, I dont even have the desire to ride it. Don't get me wrong, I like the bike, I just wish that I could find the secret formula to get it to run like all of the people on this forum say that it should. I'm thinking that i should have kept my KTM.

Last edited by SteeksDeuce; 10-22-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:08 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey SleeksDeuce, welcome to the forum. VTR's are noisy machines. It could be any number of things, clutch noise, carb slide rattle, cct's, excessively loose valve clearance, etc. Any photo's of the beast?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:49 PM
SuperSport

I should be able to meet early sat morning to give it a listen.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:42 AM
MotoGP

Depending on when, I perhaps could as well on Saturday.

I am heading to this suspension workshop: http://www.aztrackday.com/v2/index.p...d=71&Itemid=71
Old 10-23-2009, 10:59 AM
SuperSport

Pm sent with contact info
Old 10-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Squid

I'd like to say Thanks to Yruyur for meeting be for a listen and compare session. He was as baffled as I am about the sound. Its there, But I'm not sure what it is. Rod bearing, CCT's, Loose valves??? I just don't know. I'm frustrated with the whole thing. Still running very well, That sux! Any of you Arizona guys want another project or a parts bike, Make me an offer I can't refuse. I'm washing my hands of this thing. Thanks to everyone and their support.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:12 PM
MotoGP

I might be game... let's see some photo's. How much do you want for it?
Old 10-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Squid

Well Inde, There is no doubt you can fix it, thats for sure. And I would even ride it up and deliver it to your shop in prescott with a big freakin red bow on it! But, I really have no Idea of its value because I dont know what is wrong with it. My money is on a rod bearing. If I had more time, space, and money, I would tear into it myself. If you PM me a email address I can send you some cell phone pictures, I dont know how to post pics on this site.

Last edited by SteeksDeuce; 10-23-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Squid

I just need somethin to RIDE man!!!
Old 10-23-2009, 07:03 PM
MotoGP

PM sent.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:22 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear your bad hawk news steeks..I know how it feels though.. And you just want to RIDE!! Hopefully you get something you can ride along with us..