Riding with ear plugs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:58 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Riding with ear plugs...

I don't usually wear ear plugs when riding, but decided I would give them a try on a short (50 mile) ride this morning...I found myself riding more aggressively and faster than normal, why is that?
Old 05-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
Wind noise pounds your e/drums, gets you tired. You can concentrate better on what your doing (riding motorcycles). I never leave the house with out them.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:31 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I very seldom ride without them (only when I have a very short ride).
Old 05-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
If I'm going to be on the freeway for more than 4 or 5 minutes I wear them. My tinnitus is bad enough as it is.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Funny this thread got started. Today was the first day I rode with earplugs. They are awesome! I felt so much less tired when I got done. I only did about 100 miles, but it felt more like 30-40 miles. However, my lack of ear cleaning was quite evident... the size of the earwax clumps that stuck to the end of the ear plug...holy ****! I don't even know how that **** fit in my ear. I have dog-like hearing now!
Old 05-25-2009, 04:38 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
they are a big help. Once you get used to them its incredible how noisy the wind is on the bike. I even use them on airplane trips now and am much less tired when I arrive
Old 05-25-2009, 04:43 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I never thought about the fatigue thing, and honestly can't say that I've noticed any difference. I wear them to protect my hearing. About a year ago I changed jobs and my 4 mile commute became 21 miles each way. I noticed that my hearing was getting worse and I was saying "Huh?" a lot. It's pretty easy to pop them in, so I do it just for the confort of knowning that my ears are being protected.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Squid

Phaedrus is on a distinguished road
What kind of ear plugs are people using - the foam kind that expand in the ear canal, the more expensive rubber kind found in hardware stores, or what?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:59 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Phaedrus
What kind of ear plugs are people using - the foam kind that expand in the ear canal, the more expensive rubber kind found in hardware stores, or what?

I use the plain ol' foam ones. Who can afford those fancy earplugs? Aren't they like $1.50? Whew!
Old 05-25-2009, 05:10 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

okay guys back to my original question, I wasn't polling the forum to see who used them and why, I was wondering if anybody had a theory as to why I was riding more aggressiviely with the earplugs than I normally do without them...
Old 05-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

I have a pair that looks similar to these but is clear and not corded:
http://www.howardleight.com/family/index/10
Can't remember where I got them. They didn't work too well so lately I've been using the blue silicone ones, they work better but not as well as I'd like. I can still tell a difference when I close off my ears with my jaw/neck muscles, but I can't maintain that for very long.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

I think badboyrr nailed it.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
$18.00 for 200! http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...-Uncorded.html

I've been using them for years in the engineroom of the ship. I bought 2 boxes years ago and still have one full box. While riding if I don't get one quite right and get wind noise I'll have to stop and readjust. It bothers me that much.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
I use foam, too. As stated by Hawkrider, if one isn't right, I'll stop and fix it. Yeah, it makes that much difference. The first time I rode the VTR home from the shop (50 mile) I thought I was riding in a tornado. I've been used to riding behind the fairings of my Concours and PC800...there is no wind back there. I can drop my head just a little and hear myself whisper on the PC. Anyhoo, a GSXR buddy of mine told me to use earplugs and I've done it ever since. For me, all the noise was just added stress that didn't make the ride as enjoyable as it could be and now is. I can still hear the bike and cars, etc., but the roar of the wind is reduced and, as stated above, focusing on the road is easier.tyronne
Old 05-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Oahu,

One of the reasons you'll ride more aggressively is the noise isn't "F*cking with your head" as it were. You are aware of the RPM when you begin to wind it up, but you don't feel as though the bike is screaming at you. That combined with what your brain equates to 'normal riding noise' makes you ride faster because your ears aren't telling you the bike is wailing, so your brain assumes you're not really hauling that much ***.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Nose Picker
Back Marker

996SSVTR is on a distinguished road
They sure make my ride more enjoyable, I use them just about everytime I go for a longer ride.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:25 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
oahu, if you wear earplugs you won't be able to hear that beautiful Slack Key Guitar music wafting through the air over there in the Islands.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:35 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
oahu, if you wear earplugs you won't be able to hear that beautiful Slack Key Guitar music wafting through the air over there in the Islands.
won't be able to hear the surf pounding either...
Old 05-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been riding with ear plugs for years now at the suggestion of a seasoned rider. I think that the reason why you are riding more aggressively is the ear plugs let you hear the engine more, so your concentrating more on it. I also agree that riding with plugs in helps fight off fatigue. Whenever I ride anywhere I pop them in.

For those that care I wear these

http://www.e-a-r.com/e-a-r.com/premo...um=340-4001001

There comfy, work well and you can wash them.

or I use these

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...glVL48MLTF4Qbl
Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
On anything but short range surface street runs, I use the foam plugs. I use them for shooting also. I buy a hundred at a time at Rite Aid for 10 bucks.

I want to still be able to hear OK when I get old. Besides, sustained noise leaves me feeling kind of disoriented and out of sorts.

The foam plugs block out the wind noise but I can still hear my engine and exhaust, still hear the traffic around me. Before plugs were so readily available and before I knew about them, I used to snap the filters off of a couple of cigarettes and stuff them in my ears.

How fast and aggressive you ride is up to you, ear plugs or not.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
[quote=RK1;218697] Before plugs were so readily available and before I knew about them, I used to snap the filters off of a couple of cigarettes and stuff them in my ears.

Cigarette butts at the range. That's ole school cop stuff.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:59 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
With earplugs, everything is quiet and I don't sense the speed as well... so naturally I ride faster.

Same thing with cars. Give me a quiet smooth riding car and I'll be going 100mph without realizing it.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Galaxieman
Oahu,

One of the reasons you'll ride more aggressively is the noise isn't "F*cking with your head" as it were. You are aware of the RPM when you begin to wind it up, but you don't feel as though the bike is screaming at you. That combined with what your brain equates to 'normal riding noise' makes you ride faster because your ears aren't telling you the bike is wailing, so your brain assumes you're not really hauling that much ***.
What he said... I noticed I was riding at a higher rpm and a little faster all the time one time just because I switched from slightly shortened D&D's to high mount Jardines-they were simply quieter and you just don't feel like you're going as fast. Same goes for the earplugs. You just have a nice mild exhaust sound and not all that nasty wind noise that makes you feel like you're going faster than you really are.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:12 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
In addition to the less noise feels slower thing, your brain is processing way less info this way. Like why a day at the beach is easier (less fatiguing) than say being a lunch room monitor. Less noise to filter through for your brain to get the needed info. Think of going to a rock concert; takes alot out of you. I manage a night club so I can vouch for this. Keep wearing them. (all racers do)
Old 05-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Back Marker

HisHawkiness is on a distinguished road
I once read an article in one of the motorcycle mags about how you should always ride with earplugs because even on the loudest race bikes most hearing loss associated with riding is due to wind noise, and even in the best helmets.

I rode with earplugs once when I rode my hawk with no mufflers on my Moriwaki header....they didnt help and it was only entertaining for about 10 minutes lol.

we just got these cool earplugs in at work (im an Infantryman in the Army, we use them for shooting) they are plastic and shaped like some sort of hearing aid, they have some type of filter that only removes the harsh harmful noises, pretty cool.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Let me get this right; reading an article that said you should ALWAYS wear earplugs prompted you to wear them ONCE? Hmm, I am guessing your berricks mates are getting extra earplugs for shooting.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:58 AM
SuperBike

Honestly, I don't go faster with earplugs in. In fact, I'd venture a guess that I push harder without them. I get hyped-up by the sound and feel. That stirs me to push harder, with earplugs I'm more subdued..... maybe.

I guess my point is that earplugs won't make you faster, slower, better, or anything else. I wear them to protect my hearing because in 30 years I want to be able to hear what my Grandkids are saying.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Squid

NWbrew is on a distinguished road
I agree with the majority here. Earplugs -for me anyway- let me hear the bike rather than the wind. I'm not sure I'm more agressive while riding, rather I'd say I'm more in tune with the bike and can hear/feel it better when putting it into a corner. Plus, after riding for a while (over half an hour) I'm still able to hear myself think and am not easing up in the corners.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Back Marker

bundleofgrundle is on a distinguished road
i ride with my ipod on longer rides and i've found that the skullcandy earbuds with the silicone nubs work well. I don't necessarily listen to music all the time but i've found that these earbuds do a good job of blocking out a lot of the high pitched wind noise. The added bonus is that you can throw on some tunes at a reasonable volume and still hear what's going on around you. i think these things were like $17. i love 'em. anybody else do the same?
Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Back Marker

98ILVTR is on a distinguished road
Earplugs anyday, everyday; that I ride. It makes riding much more enjoyable!

Quick Reply: Riding with ear plugs...